Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Upgrading a Pocher boxcar Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 54

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  12:31:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Diosol was nasty. Almost as hard on brain cells than drinking Gin.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  01:08:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

LOL!

Layout...

Dawned on me that I wouldn't be operating, just doing some "show and tell" and running a train for the troops come Thursday.

SOOOO...

I shifted gears.

Finished the two gons since I was far enough along... but then switched over to decorating the layout.

What I'm doing is slapping together some temporary PhotoFlats and creating some towns so they can sort of get an idea of what it might look like (but in all probability won't). Still, it's better than a totally bare layout.

At this point I have some false front PhotoFlats at Piney, and row of them at Mountain Top, and just printed out enough to do a lengthy street scene at Ozarka. Also started throwing together (in my photo software) a couple of industrial flats for the backdrop spur at Mountain Top. I still need to print out a few false front flats for Jack Fork, too.

I should finish up this PhotoFlats thing tomorrow before lunch.

Hopefully, the track will arrive tomorrow afternoon and it will be banzai time to get the stage tracks in place.

All fer tonight!

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  4:31:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the makeshift towns are created, cut n' pasted, and placed. It does make it look more "inhabited", even if many of the structures depicted are crude and/or not truly representative of my mental visions. Ah, but it's better than the layout being completely bare!

Here's the towns of Ozarka (below) and Mountain Top (above)...

The two industries along the wall in Mountain Top are (L to R) "Ozark Cooperage Company" and "North Arkansas Planing Mill".

Here's Jack Fork...

And lastly, here's the small town of Piney...

All fer now. Track has arrived!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  5:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Humble beginnings leading to greatness

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  7:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the updates. Happy tracklaying.

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  7:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Thanks for the updates. Happy tracklaying.

Mike

I'm not sure "happy" and "tracklaying" belong in the same sentence

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  10:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob for your kind words.

Mike: I'm a' tryin'!

Dave: Actually, most times I enjoy it. Tonight was not one of those times.

It's literally going to come down to the last gap to close to see if I have enough track to finish the stage. I will find that out sometime during the morning as I finish using up the track on hand. I was so hoping to not have to purchase another bundle, however I don't want to be totally out of track, for I know there will come ideas as to track improvements/betterments as time goes along.

Ah well, 'tis what it 'tis.

So, within the next week or so, I'll probably get a bundle headed my way to stock pile.

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/17/2019 :  12:13:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
clickety-click-clickety-click-click-clickety...

"DONE!"

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/17/2019 :  2:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And here's the celebrated event in pictorial form:

I am SO glad I save almost everything when it comes to building a layout or models. Here is the entire sum total of the leftover flex track since beginning to lay track some months ago. (I think I purchased 20 bundles in all):

(Note: The engine on the desk top track sits on Atlas code 83 sectional track, not Shinohara code 70.)

The Hut and my computer room are all spruced up (cleaned) and ready for the troops. I shall now attend to some small piddly things that I can find out there and in here.

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 07/17/2019 2:45:19 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2019 :  5:05:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're very efficient!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/17/2019 :  5:14:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dave:

OCD

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2019 :  8:13:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you're OCD a good name. Congratulations on making this major goal.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/18/2019 :  12:06:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob: LOL!

It has served me well over the years, but it can also be a pain. (DID I remember to shut the garage door? Can't see in my mind that I watched it go down... stop the vehicle, turn around... drive back to see that, yes indeed, the garage door is down. THAT'S the part of OCD is a pain in the butt. SO, part of my departure routine MUST include watching the garage door all the way down, and that nothing trips the "hazard/clearance" light causing it raise back up.)

Once the company's over with and I settle back into a routine, I am going to start seriously determining which of the two eras truly will allow me to get operational the quickest, then pursue that one era for a spell toward that goal. More on that as it gets mulled over.

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/19/2019 :  01:04:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi gang!

The "Get Together" was a huge success. They were dumbfounded I had a functioning layout!

We ran all sorts of trains, starting with steam, ending with diesels. One of them brought some DCC/Sound equipped diesels and we ran those, too. I fielded lots of questions about how I did this or that/etc. They were very complimentary concerning both of my concepts (my 1880s theme and 1960s theme) as well as the way the layout is shaping up.

Lunch was on us (Sharon and I). We served them a buffet-style sandwich bar with all the fixin's along with a selection chips and cookies.

It turned out to pretty much be an all day deal. Guys started arriving at 9-ish, and we didn't shut down until 4-ish.

One of the Fort Smith guys (diesel modeler) seemed very interested in trying his hand at the 1880s era once I have it up and running. He was fascinated by the "narrow gauge feel" of the tiny 1880s stuff. As expected, the others were most interested in my diesel theme.

Tentative plans are to go to Fort Smith Saturday morning of the 27th and pick up my 87 year old long time friend (also a model railroader that loves steam) and bring him down to see my layout and run some trains with him. When he's ready, I'll take him back home. This will be the first time he's had an opportunity to run trains with me on one of my personal layouts in over 3 decades.

For August, we're talking about car-pooling and heading off to a train meet some 2 1/2 - 3 hours away at Jacksonville, AR. We may not all go, but I intend to team up with whomever of the group wants to go and make the show. This will be the first show I've attended in over 15 years.

In all, it was a great day.

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 07/19/2019 01:07:54 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2019 :  01:18:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great news to hear, Andre.

Page: of 54 Previous Topic: Upgrading a Pocher boxcar Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000