Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Early railroad books and biogrpahies Topic Next Topic: Turn of the Century whistle signals
Page: of 17

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/17/2016 :  1:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow... been a while since I've posted in my own thread! Here goes...

As for me: Still tinkerin' in V (virtual) scale... but there's some really BIG news in me ol' household!

<<< Insert sounding trumpets here >>>

My 16' x 20' Hobby Shack is almost ready for occupancy! Hoo-RAY!

This little building was put in the dry in May of 2015 (yup, you read right... over ONE year ago)... and just recently did I FINALLY find a contractor willing to take a small job (finishing the interior and skirting the exterior). They finished Friday of this week... and come Monday AM the electrician will return to hang the 4' LED fixtures. At that point it will be 100% finished and ready for me to start the long process of moving in! Into this will go the Colorado & Pacific, as well as a hobby work bench and lots of under-layout storage units!

Here's a pic of the exterior. (Note: It looks much smaller in the pic than it truly is.)

And here's a picture of the interior (Note: That's an 8' ceiling):

After all this time, I'm just THIS close to having a room 100% ready for me to clutter up with toys!!

Yippeeeee!

Andre

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2016 :  5:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go Andre! That is a cosy building and all that space makes me drool

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2016 :  6:37:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So cool! Ah, that is an AC unit I see.

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  12:13:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hakan:

It looks REALLY spacious when standing in the emptiness. Unfortunately, I've already learned through some scaled drawing of a track plan that, just like ANY space we have, that spaciousness starts shrinking at an alarming rate when you start trying to design a track plan to fit it!!

Bob:

That's a combination heat pump and A/C unit. It also has "emergency" heating coils.

FWIW:

Speaking of a track plan, my "definite maybe" Colorado & Pacific track plan needs to be significantly rethought. As I was doing the clean up after the contractors, I started to clean the windows and as I opened the hinged/sliding window inward for cleaning, it dawned on me that I will HAVE to allow for such on the wall with the door/windows. This means that the narrow "staging/return" shelf for the continuous connection will HAVE to be at least 60" inches above the floor, AND there can be no obstructions.

The first constraint is already met, for that is about the target height of the return connection shelf/track. What will take a hit was the corner scene I had planned on the other side of the door. (Where the right hand window is in the above exterior picture.) THAT section of the layout plan will have to be SIGNIFICANTLY rethought/redone. I may lose that scene altogether. I'll find out when I return to the drawing board.

Ah well, of such is the challenge of designing a layout that is user friendly over the long term.

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 09/18/2016 12:15:24 AM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  12:55:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to see this nice building, Andre. Spacious enough or not, it certainly will be able to host a good part of your creativity and we all look forward to see what you come up with in this place.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  1:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet!

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  7:26:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's FINISHED!

Let there be LIGHT!...

You're looking at three 2/4' LED fixtures overhead, plus there's another directly over where the hobby desk will go.

Speaking of my hobby desk, I didn't want to stare at a wall like I have for the past 18 years in my current hobby room, so I planned for it to be facing a window. Below is a picture of my view I'll have when working at the desk. Can't wait until some snowy day and I'm out there cozy warm in my room working on a project!

Still MUCH to do:

* Get some "blinds" for the windows/door.

* Obtain/place some concrete "stepping stones" to lead from the sidewalk of the house up to the steps of the Hobby Shack.

* Etc, etc! Then comes the part of loading up and moving stuff into it!

Gonna' be a while before I'm truly settled into it.

Frederic:

It's quite exciting to see it FINALLY ready to use when I'm ready to begin. I may pull out the track plan and take a look at the revisions I'll need to make.

hon3_rr:

Sweet indeed!

All fer now.

Andre

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  1:01:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is indeed exciting! Glad to see a space with such potential, filled with all that emptiness. I too will have a workbench in front of a window. The last space I was in the little 2x2 desk was wedged under the layout - my back did not appreciate the poor posture. Also there was a window, but it was off to the side and offered very little to look at. The current space allows for a much larger desk and the view is great! Just have to get rid of some cat-peed carpet first...

As for planning, it really is the curves that begin to shrink the space, IMO.

Galen

Galen
My blog: Gallimore Railroading http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  8:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed: Curves suck. So do switches (turnouts). Drawing properly scaled versions are so much more space consuming than the #2 switches I sketch.

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 10/11/2016 8:11:23 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  11:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre, I understand not wanting to stare at the wall. That's why I have a TV on my bench. I even turn it on every once in a great while. Now let's see sme bench works!

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  06:36:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

Just ordered two of these last night:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sauder-Computer-Desk/38800714#about

They will be modified by not assembling the lower drawers/cabinets. Into those openings will go stack-able tray assemblies for tools and such. One table is for the out-building. (I have done that with a near identical desk and it has served me well for decades.) One desk to the out-building, the other desk will be incorporated into this small room as it gets reorganized and cleared of its capacity clutter. I suspect the workbench in the out-building will be used exclusively for the model airplane construction and some model RR projects, and the one in this small hobby room will be for model railroading primarily. However, that's all open to change once I've finished restructuring and ready to indulge in my workbench hobbies again. Still a long ways to go before I'm where I want to be in my restructuring/reorganizing... but like the little worm said when faced with crossing a 100 acre field: "Inch by inch it's a cinch!"

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  12:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks nice Andre. Should you real well with a cutting mat on top.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  11:37:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sure is nice. I was looking at one of these structures the other day. I know you will enjoy it.
The view alone is terrific and really makes a big difference with natural light coming in when working on a project. Looking forward to see the progress as you move ahead'..

Ted

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2016 :  11:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great price on those desks. Look very suitable as workbenches.

Håkan

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/27/2017 :  12:49:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wakey! Wakey!

A TON has happened since I last updated this thread, most of it NOT TOCn19 related. I'll spare you the non-TOC19 stuff and sum up the non-TOC19 stuff with the biggest news:

* June 2018 should see the arrival of the first of my railroad retirement checks!

Now, having said THAT...

My TOC19 idea really took some hits. The complications were many, most of which had to do with the realization that my years are rolling by at an alarming rate: It is high time to prioritize.

Thus, IF I'm going to be able to retain the thought of two layouts, BOTH themes and layouts will HAVE to be manageable in scope. The existing small room shelf layout is already manageable in scope, and it had the added bonus (being diesel) that so much RTR has been available to equip it. I have all the needed engines already,

Just recently I was looking at the very real possibility of giving up on the dual-layout idea, with the TOC19 (as the more labor intensive of the two themes) being on the chopping block.

The more I thought of the possibility of NEVER having an outlet for my TOC19 (besides V scale), the less I liked such a totalitarian outlook.

So, I came to the conclusion that IF I could significantly downsize my TOC19 layout idea, the option of retaining that modeling medium could be retained.

My concerns were:

* The TOC19 layout's intrusion into the purpose of the room as built. (It was originally going to be my hobby work shop, tools, and supply storage unit with NO layout therein to encumber.)

* The Great Question: Can I can do a REASONABLE job of creating the look and feel of the scenery I envision, including painted back drops, tumbling creeks, rock chasms/faces, et al?

The building of the engines, cars, etc, though they're rusty, I have the needed skills already.

So, I've set out on a quest to answer the above two major questions:

* I've begun rethinking the room-intrusive nature of the first layout idea. I'm now looking at designing a layout that only uses a bit more than 1/3 of the buidling's interior, and would be wholly contained on ONE side of the room. This leaves the entire rest of the room for use as intended AND (most importantly) does NOT complicate the air flow or access to the all-important HVAC unit.

* While on a visit to the Kansas City, MO area, I stopped by two hobby shops and picked up some of the needed supplies to make a small scenery diorama that will include a touch of ALL the scenic elements I fear about modeling Colorado.

IF I like what I can come up with for answers to BOTH the above questions: TOC19 remains with me. If NOT... well... then it will be time to make a terminal decision on the fate of my TOC19 layout desire.

So there you have it! The latest on the fate of the Colorado & Pacific!

As with all of my model railroading endeavors: WE SHALL SEE!

Edited by - OK Hogger on 10/27/2017 12:52:41 PM

Page: of 17 Previous Topic: Early railroad books and biogrpahies Topic Next Topic: Turn of the Century whistle signals  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000