Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: N-Scale Accumates for Early Rail
Page: of 20

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  4:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Wowsound decoder with keep alive can be fitted. If one use a sugarcube speaker which takes up considerably less space then an ordinary speaker.
I fitted one in a PFM Jupiter tender although it tooks some grinding to do it. I hid the keep alive in the wood load.

Håkan

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  5:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hakan!

Man I sure like seeing your engine reworks/repaints. You do GREAT work.

I'm wondering if Harold's electrical pickup modifications to the NT 4-4-0 results in reduced need for a "keep alive" circuit?

Also, I'm curious: Are the pinstripe decals you've used on some of your engine repaints/conversions available for purchase somewhere?

Andre

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  2:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Andre,
I would add as much pickup as possible and if possible a keep alive.
But if I had to chose it would be as much pickup as possible.

I usually have on my locos pickup on all tender wheels and all drivers. Having live frogs on my turnouts (Fast tracks) the need for cleaning is limited to running around the layout every three months with a CMX cleaning car using electronic cleaner. The stalls are virtually non existant. I also try to reduce the amount of dust the layout is subject to by having a door to the room and a air cleaner.

The decal art is courtesy John Ott. We have been swapping decal art for some time. They are printed with an ordinary inkjet and sealed with matt spray varnish before application. The gold filigree you see is in reality the brass showing through the decal. I think you can download the art from Johns homepage the same way as Luke did:
http://www.ottgallery.com/Jupiter.html

If you have not yet seen Johns site you are in for something special.

Håkan

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  8:56:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Hakan:

Thanks for your reply.

I'm a little confused: Is the above picture of your Jupiter a Bachmann new tooling 4-4-0, or a brass 4-4-0?

EDIT: Forgot to ask, is this the CMX car of which you speak?

https://tonystrains.com/product/cmx-clean-machine-ho/

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 07/04/2016 9:02:13 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  1:40:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andre,
sorry I should have been clearer. Its a PFM brass Jupiter from a Golden Spike set. But the tender is nearly the same size as the Bachmann.

I'll work on my new tooling Bachmann this weekend after I cleared the workbench. It will receive a TCS Wowsound decoder. I have to chew my own words if I can't fit it in

Yes thats the CMX "mean machine". Its expensive but works great.

Håkan

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  3:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you remove the "fuel" load the TS-750 and it's capacitor fit with all the stock weights and motherboard:

Just not plug and play.

Harold

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  4:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harold, any thoughts on removing Bachmann lettering>

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  5:30:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Harold, any thoughts on removing Bachmann lettering>

Testers Easy Lift Off (ELO)and a Q-Tip works:

The gloss finish remains.

Comes off really easy probably because of the gloss paint. Much easier than the On30 cars.

Looks like I will have to touch up the stripe.

Harold

Edited by - hminky on 07/05/2016 5:36:26 PM

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  6:09:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hakan:

No need to apologize... no biggie at all. Your "Storm" is a handsome model! I can understand using brass, completely understand. I do hope you'll report your experiences fitting a WOW into the Bachmann NT tender.

Harold:

Thanks for the pictures illustrating that a TS-750 can be made to fit. Is the TS-750 still available? Also thanks for the tip on the Testors ELO n' Q tip for removing the lettering. I'll eventually need to do that.

News Flash:

Just received my other two Bachmann NT 4-4-0's: Another ATSF DCC/Sound, and a W&A DC. The ATSF runs super. The W&A runs good, but not quite as smooth in reverse as the others. Some run time will help, and probably DCC will help... but it's still pretty good. LOVE the paint scheme on it!

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  6:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The 1-amp Tsumani2 and Econami are the same size as the TSU-750.

Harold

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  6:32:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hminky

If you remove the "fuel" load the TS-750 and it's capacitor fit with all the stock weights and motherboard:

Just not plug and play.

Harold

Looks like a big dose of Plug and Pray
Perhaps its better to chuck weights and motherboard all out and start over.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  7:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harold;
Thanks.

Andre;
Congratulations on the new arrivals,

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  7:48:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply Harold. I forgot to ask: Can the TSU/Econami/Whatever be wired so that the Bachmann tether between the tender/engine can be retained? (Makes it a whole lot easier to separate the two.)

Bob:

I'm a proud Papa! Think I'm going to take break from Bachmann NT 4-4-0 purchases for spell and concentrate on some other areas. Besides, I thinking about waiting for the DCC/Sound W&A and NCRR 4-4-0's to hit the shelves. The Bachmann website still says "Coming soon!" on both counts... we shall see!

Andre

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  6:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another option for couplers are the n-scale Bachmann and McHenry's:

They need a draftgear box made from brass rectangular tube, that is a temporary plastic one.

Looks more like a coupler than the KD n-scale couplers.

Harold

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  10:43:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for an update!

Though I have eased up on the "seek and acquire" mode I've been in, I have managed to get 5/7ths of the envisioned RTR engine roster together.

Here's an updated pic of the current roster:

I still foresee acquiring two more of the Bachmann NT 4-4-0's... but I'm thinking about waiting until they release the second W&A livery and the NCNG livery.

However, the BIGGEST news is that I've FINALLY found and secured a contractor to finish the interior (and exterior) of my 16' x 20' out building that will house my Colorado & Pacific! They should be starting the work within 2 weeks or less.

FWIW: I'm in the process of shifting gears with my hobbies, and look to be entering a period of dabbling with my control line model airplanes for a spell. I'm also going to be the Event Director for an event the model airplane club I belong to is going to host. SO, progress may slow up some on my C&P theme for a bit.

All fer now!

Page: of 20 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: N-Scale Accumates for Early Rail  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000