Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Upgrading a Pocher boxcar Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 54

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/08/2019 :  1:25:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

LOL!

I reclon a mess DOES mean progress! Don't worry, more mess in my future.

However, next time I'm going to be smarter about it: Plastic drop sheets. I'm going to cover all the portions that exist, including the surfaces of the existing benchwork. Having to dust each box of parts, et al, is for the birds. Hope to avoid 90% of it the next time.

Live and learn.

Andre

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2019 :  2:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could consider rosin paper, rather than plastic drop sheets. The rosin paper doesn't protect quite as well, but you can also use that stuff for making scenery. So it's "dual purpose!" :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2019 :  2:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I would have found some way to do the cutting outdoors. The difference is my layout room is carpeted.

Mike

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/08/2019 :  3:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave:

Rosin paper, eh? Never heard of it. I'll try to remember to take a look when the time comes.

Mike:

We're coming off a record setting Autumn, Winter, and now Spring. We have not had 7 straight days without significant rain since the first week of October, 2018. For the first time this week we have a fighting chance of making 7 straight days of no rain IF the rain forecast for Saturday week doesn't move in earlier.

I say that to say that if I had waited to get some days with no threat of rain, I wouldn't have made near the progress that I have made. When the time comes, I'll figure something out.

Off to throw a load of trash in the back of my pick-up and head for the dump before it closes.

Gettin' oh so close.

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 06/08/2019 3:17:27 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2019 :  3:49:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rosin Paper from Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/s/rosin%2520paper?NCNI-5

dave

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/08/2019 :  6:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave.

Looks like painter's paper. THAT I am familiar with.

Andre

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2019 :  7:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Thanks Dave.

Looks like painter's paper. THAT I am familiar with.

Andre

Probably so. The idea is paper that paint can't soak through, I think :-) :-)

dave

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/09/2019 :  6:22:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just finished my clean-up!

It feels GREAT to be out there now! (The mess was soooo depressing to me.)

Some pictures...

That stacked stuff you see on the layout to the left center in the above pic is my flex track, switches, and track laying supplies n' tools.

AND... it feels GREAT to have access to my work station again!

Why shucks, I could go back out to the Hut and start laying track if'n I want! However, it sure feels good to sit and relax right now. Took a lot longer than I'd hoped to get a handle on it.

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 06/09/2019 6:23:10 PM

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/10/2019 :  7:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John Henry ain't got nothing on me!

Got the rest of the siding and main installed at the town of Ozarka, and have started up the grade. Main's already more than half way around the first curve.

I just might make Sawmill Spur before I call it a night.

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 06/10/2019 7:30:54 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/10/2019 :  7:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice! looking good Andre.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/10/2019 :  8:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Keep this up and we’ll be singing songs about “Andre the steel driving man.”

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/11/2019 :  02:04:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks y'all!

Not much will be done tomorrow, the temps for most of the day tomorrow will be in the 70s. Doesn't come along very often this time of year around my parts, so I'll be on my scooter and won't piddle with the layout until tomorrow evening. Further, Thursday's HIGH is forecast to be 76 degrees at this point... if that forecast holds, then if at all possible I'll be riding Thursday, too.

However, I think it's safe to say that even loafing, the track should reach the town of "Jack Fork" well before the weekend. In fact, I would venture to say that by the end of next week (Saturday, 23rd) I'll be ready to begin backdrop installation if I so choose. That is, if I don't stop and play trains for a spell. I know I'll run SOME trains (I'm anxious to see how the steam engines perform on the grades), just don't know how long I'll enjoy the fruits of my labor before I start making a construction mess again.

All fer now!

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/12/2019 :  2:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The main line rails are passing thru Jack Fork as I type! Takin' a break (lunch time), so thought I'd post up some pics.

Also:

Received a call from one of my old model RR friends and we're on again this month (we met in May, too) for a mini-get together. Likely only be four of us again, but we enjoy the interaction.

Plus, I've offered to host for July! So, in addition to eating lunch together and doing slide shows, I think I'll have enough in place out in the Hobby Hut to be worth while.

All fer now!

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  10:29:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, took me longer to cut/fit the main and pass in the town of Jack Fork than I expected. Here 'tis...

Unfortunately, I'm going to run out of spikes tomorrow as I try to finish spiking some of the above in place. I've got some ordered and they shipped today, but won't help me tomorrow.

However, once out of spikes, I intend to start stringing bus wire and power up the all the track I've laid this week, then I can test actually running trains over it instead of rolling cuts of cars by hand.

Will likely see that the steam engines do on the grades, too.

SO, even without spikes... I'm going to have fun!

All fer now.

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  11:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I’m still tracking your progress, which seems to have spiked the last couple of days. I like seeing those flowing curves.

Mike

Page: of 54 Previous Topic: Upgrading a Pocher boxcar Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000