Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Boy, Isnt She Stacked! Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 14

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  09:36:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your backdrop showed nice technique. Interesting watching you assemble your loco fleet, though it's not my area/era.

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  11:30:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words, jbvb.

As for the backdrop: The equipment currently resides on my "Kansas City" lines theme layout bench work that will be home to my diesel/rolling stock fleet. The flats thereon I created myself using my own photos and photo software. I intend (one of these days) to create a line of them and offer them to the masses in most of the popular scales. That way others can have a quick, and very affordable, way to populate their back drops with convincing structure flats.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  11:40:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Thanks for the kind words, jbvb.

the flats thereon I created myself using my own photos and photo software. I intend (one of these days) to create a line of them......

I for one would be interested in ones that I could use to represent a 1880's, 3 story Max Hill side town that could be used to represent Virginia City as viewed from the V&T yards or San Francisco from the bay. In my case Marshfield from Coos Bay.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  11:50:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Andre, I have been absent this week from the forum so it was fun coming back seeing your thread!
Love the variations on the mogul. I have been thinking along the same lines myself. On the Arbour Brooks it is better to find another mechanism. Mine has a new milled frame but with the original drivers using a NWSL gear box. It ran great but has now some issues with the decoder.

Håkan

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  12:38:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All!
Some replies...

Bob:

Not familiar at all with the subjects of which you speak. Originally, I thought I would just offer "brick canyon" type structure flats through my "PhotoFlats" (tm) line of photo flats. However, I have a goodly amount of TOC19 images in my extensive photo library that I shot that were earmarked for use in my V scale product line. (I used photo textures exclusively in my line of TOC19-based V scale routes.) Since I'm migrating away from V scale, I have now given thought to using the raw textures to create suitable flats for TOC19 layouts, thus giving me more product to offer. My "goal" is to have my little "PhotoFlats" (tm) business up and running well before retirement. (I retire in a smidge less than 2 years.) It is my hope that the little "PhotoFlats" line of products will help me with hobby funds once I'm on a fixed income.

Right now, I'm hip-deep in a massive sell-off of my non-train hobby related stuff that I'm no longer going to be pursuing, so that is taking up what little free time I have left after all the purchasing/dreaming/talking about my TOC19 theme!!!

Hakan:

Good to see you back! I had hoped you hadn't sailed off the end of the world! Regarding my first wood burning Mogul project: I really am liking the basic lines of the project... still lots to be decided and done. However, I do want to replace the short "Reno" pilot with a "Genoa" longer pilot. All in good time, time of which is in short supply right now!

So, you used the original plated plastic drivers on your Arbour Models Brooks Mogul, and they're working okay? No plating flaking off problems?

Also, about your Arbour Models 4-4-0 in the YouTube video: Did you also use the original drivers? (If not, what brand did you replace with?) What motor did you use, and what is the part number of the drive gears? The low speed performance was WELL within my "oh yeah!" threshold!!

For the sake of those that may not have viewed your video, here's a link to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkQdBi3iHyc

Andre

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  11:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, concerning my ongoing Bachmann new tooling 4-4-0 woes (can be seen here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46482&whichpage=8 ), the eBay online vendor will be refunding my purchase price. I have already received the return shipping label, and it's packed and ready to go back.

HOWEVER...

I'm trying again. This time from M.B. Klein. I also requested the pair be test run for smooth/slow speed operation. (Thanks for the tip, Dallas!) Here's what will be headed my way:

I'm trying again on another ATSF...

And this one is also included in my order...

On the UP version, I'm kicking around the idea of eventually installing a diamond stack in place of the tall shotgun stack, as well as making it a wood burner. We shall see.

As for what next after the above two, that will probably be this one:

However, the W&A is not sound equipped (a sound version is not released yet), so this will be the first one to receive an aftermarket sound decoder. All in good time!

In the meantime, I'm still filling out the basic rolling stock roster and other odds and ends. Still a long ways to go before I have enough engine/rolling stock stuff on hand for the theme... but it's getting closer.

All fer now!

Andre

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/15/2016 :  4:23:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Hakan:

Good to see you back! I had hoped you hadn't sailed off the end of the world! Regarding my first wood burning Mogul project: I really am liking the basic lines of the project... still lots to be decided and done. However, I do want to replace the short "Reno" pilot with a "Genoa" longer pilot. All in good time, time of which is in short supply right now!

So, you used the original plated plastic drivers on your Arbour Models Brooks Mogul, and they're working okay? No plating flaking off problems?

Also, about your Arbour Models 4-4-0 in the YouTube video: Did you also use the original drivers? (If not, what brand did you replace with?) What motor did you use, and what is the part number of the drive gears? The low speed performance was WELL within my "oh yeah!" threshold!!

For the sake of those that may not have viewed your video, here's a link to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkQdBi3iHyc

Andre

Hi Andre, I used the plastic wheels on the Mogul. There has not been any flaking that I can see.

Thanks for the kind words on the Arbour 4-4-0. It is not much left of the Arbour kit. The drivers are English and from Romford if I remember correctly. The Branchline gearbox is from England also. The motor is a Mashima. It has a completely scratchbuilt frame with all
drivers sprung. There are more info on page 19.

I had some luck long on Ebay some years ago and found for a great price another Arbour 4-4-0. It was already built and as luck has it ran already great. It has the original frame and drivers. So I guess it is possible get a nice running loco out of the kit.

Håkan

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/15/2016 :  6:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hakan for the link! Duly copied/pasted to my TOC19 "Links" txt file!

All:

Okay... scratch the UP version: M.B. Klein is out of them. (Website said they had some, but the email apologized for the inventory error.)

Wow... amassing a roster of these NT 4-4-0's is turning out to be a whole lot tougher than I thought it would be.

Andre

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  9:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update!

Good news (to me)! Received an email from MB Klein: They just received a shipment of the Bachmann NT 4-4-0 UP DCC/Sound engines. My pair of engines (the Santa Fe and UP) should be shipping soon!

Also:

Received more goodies via the USPS today:

* A box containing 5 Mantua "old time" cars: Box, Ventilated box, 2 gondolas, gondola w/tanks.

* A box containing 5 AHM/Pocher cars: 1 flat w/stakes, 1 flat w/tanks, 2 CP boxcars, 1 bobber caboose.

* A small package contained a "Genoa" long pilot and other Pocher/AHM 4-4-0 parts. I quickly modified the pilot and mounted it to my little Pocher-onto-MDC-frame project and the longer pilot looks a whole lot mo' bettuh to my eyes!

All fer now!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  10:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you were able to get a pilot as I was dragging along in responding to you.

Edited by - railman28 on 06/17/2016 10:28:47 PM

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/18/2016 :  5:26:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob!

Yes, a fellow Early Rails Yahoogroups modeler came to my rescue. I've already got the pilot modified to fit and in place on the model. Definitely an improvement to my eyes.

All:

Time for a massive update w/pics. Here goes!

Up first:

The Fleet continues to grow with additions almost every day or so in the form of a Christmas package left on the door step courtesy of USPS/UPS/FdX. I've turned to buying "lots" instead of individual pieces to speed up the "basic" rolling stock acquisition process, though this does result in a piece being a bit redundant occasionally. (Specifically, the bobber cabooses. Got plenty of them now. However, I've come to realize any over supply of them for the steam C&P theme, then I can use the basic boober car body to create transfer cabeese for my KC Lines diesel theme. So, for now, a win-win situation.)

Here's a slob shot of the fleet taken a few minutes ago:

As of this moment, the above consists of:

* 21 AHM/Bachmann 34' boxcars.

* 3 Mantua/Tyco 30' boxcars.

* 1 Mantua/Tyco 30' ventilated boxcar.

* 3 Mantua/Tyco 30' gondolas

* 6 AHM 34' gondolas

* 10 AHM 34' flatcars.

* 1 IHC 32' gondola

* 1 IHC 32' flatcar.

* 5 AHM bobber cabeese.

So, I've got a pretty good handle on the basic (read: cheapie cars to be slightly modified for layout use) rolling stock roster. Sometime soon, I'll begin to augment the basic fleet with craftsman kits to be built at a later date.

As I alluded to above, I've also done a bit of work on the first C&P Mogul kit bash. Here's a pic of the progress on it, note the longer pilot from an AHM "Genoa" model:

Lastly, the FIRST of the passenger cars have started arriving. I purchased this set at a really bargain price off the Bay and it arrived just minutes ago via USPS:

As I'm sure you can see, the above are all AHM 47' passenger cars. In person they are surprisingly nice models. When their turn for the work bench comes around, they'll get Kadee body mounted couplers, wire truss rods to replace the plastic ones, and the plastic handrails and such will be replaced with formed wire, then off to the paint n' lettering shops.

There will be more passenger cars arriving eventually, for back in my era of the late-1870's to mid-1880's, passenger trains were a vital part of the railroad scheme of things. I like variety, so there will also be some rounded roof Mantua/Tyco passenger cars as well as some Mantua/Tyco 40' clerestory cars in the passenger car fleet.

Welp... I reckon' that purdy much catches y'all up to date!

Have good Father's Day all you dads!

Andre

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  10:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the "New Tooling Bachmann 4-4-0" thread, I mentioned the hope of swapping stacks on "like" models of same to add variety to my proposed basic roster of same. Well, I tried doing just that with my newly received UP 4-4-0 and it is definitely going to do what I hoped.

To wit, the UP with the stock straight stack replaced with a diamond stack:

And here it is with a funnel stack:

Yup... this will do what I wanted: Some variety among my brace of Bachmann NT 4-4-0's!

Now, in this particular example, given the extended smoke box, I think the diamond stack looks best. But that funnel stack will look GREAT on a short smoke box version!

Ain't I smart??

erdnA

Edited by - OK Hogger on 06/23/2016 10:16:16 PM

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/27/2016 :  11:23:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All!

I've been a'tinkerin'.

I've installed the above diamond stack to the UP 119 engine. I like it better than the straight stack, so it's staying.

Then tonight I installed a Congdon stack on the ATSF 4-4-0 and I think I like it!

The stack mods are reversible on either engine if I don't like either, so the stock funnel-type stack can be pressed right back into place on either engine.

Here's a pic of the ATSF:

Also: Ordered two more Bachmann NT 4-4-0's from MB Klein tonight. One will be another ATSF (will remain with the stock stack) and a W&ARR non-DCC version. The W&ARR 4-4-0 will get either a Tsunami2 decoder or a WOW decoder. I'll decide later.

The Colorado & Pacific marches onward!

All fer now!

Andre

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  06:44:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Been messing with my non-sound version and a sound decoder isn't plug an play.

Soundtraxx one-amps won't fit unless the weights are relocated and the decoder hardwired.
Am using a TSU-750 which is the same size.

The WOW is definitely too large.

Working on a KD 5 spring wiper fix to improve electrical pickup. Seems to be fairly straight forward.

Harold

Edited by - hminky on 06/28/2016 09:22:18 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  11:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harold, very interesting and helpful information. Please continue to share your experiences with adding these new engines. So you had to move the tender weight to get the TSU-750 to fit?

Andre, Don Ball recently used a Soundtraxx Econami steam decoder and a 8x11 sugar cube speaker in a Balboa Porter Mogul (smaller) tender.

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Boy, Isnt She Stacked! Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000