Railroad Line Forums - The Oak Grove RR. Goin' green. 4-15-18
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 96 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The Oak Grove RR. Goin' green. 4-15-18
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops  Europe 1918 Topic Next Topic: ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch
Page: of 42

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 09/03/2017 :  11:32:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, August was a month chock full of distractions so I haven't achieved a lot as far as modeling goes. But I have gotten a start on the northeast corner, where the cooperage is proposed to go.

I have also finished up 13 other small trees, they are waiting in the wings. I don't know if they will on go on that corner or not.

And, btw, the trees in the picture are not planted, just placed for the shoot.

Edited by - Terrell on 09/03/2017 11:33:57 AM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2017 :  9:42:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred, what did you decide to do about that curve you were not crazy about'..

Ted

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  07:26:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ted, I believe I've decided to learn to live with the curve. I really don't think there's much I can do about it.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  8:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It'll look fine once you doctor it up with your landscaping techniques'...

Ted

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  5:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ted ! It's not that I'm indecisive, I just can't make up my mind.

I've added a few more of the 13 other trees and added this Oak, sort of as a background to the other trees. And to separate the Cooperage from the railroad, sort of.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  8:40:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred, I like that oak tree'..One day you'll have to do a SBS on how you make those babies'... That curve is no longer a distraction'...

Ted

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2017 :  3:47:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ted ! Maybe one day I will. If I can ever remember to document what I'm doing.

I've been adding some undergrowth.

From here the curve doesn't look bad at all.

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2017 :  4:47:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred, That curve is looking better all the time.
ed

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/13/2017 :  02:23:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very nicely done

Frank The Cowboybilly

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2017 :  08:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really coming together...the vegetation adds much to the scene.
Nice work,
Dave

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  5:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I decided to add another large tree across the tracks. But I was pretty much done putting it together before I remembered I was supposed to document the process.

What I've done so far, Starting with two different sizes of wood dowels, in this case 3/8" & 1/4", cut to length. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the top of the 3/8" dowel and inserted the 1/4". Then tapered the 3/8" dowel down close to the size of the smaller dowel. The "roots" are just pieces of round toothpicks. They will be pretty much covered up when the tree is planted, so I'm not too worried about how they look, but the tree stands up a lot better with them.

The lower limbs are bigger than the upper limbs so with these I started by adding small pieces of the 1/4" dowel to holes drilled in the trunk. I then took some 12 gauge stranded wire, stripped of insulation, Then separated the wire into either 2 or three fairly equal bunches. Not completely separated, just down to the last 1/2" or so of the original bunch. Then separate those bunches into smaller bunches. I then drilled a hole in the dowels and add the wire. The dowels were tapered on the end to get as close as I could to the wire branches. The diameter of the dowels and wire were still pretty far apart so I went back and added some of the insulation that I had stripped off earlier to the base of the wire branch. In this case I only did this on the bottom three branches. The upper branches are the wire bunches added to holes drilled directly in trunk. I then sprayed, mainly the wire, primer gray. And that's pretty much where we are.

When I start "barking up the tree" a lot of the rough areas will get hidden.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  10:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred, good instructions'...keep it coming. I'm paying attention and taking notes'...

Ted

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  12:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I meant to mention above that whether gluing wood to wood or wire to wood I used Gorilla wood glue.

The way I cover the tree to simulate bark is by using dried dirt, in this case white clay. I have an unlimited supply of it. I'm working from top to bottom, I always do that, and from the inside out, I do that as the mood strikes me, it's not important. This time I started with the trunk before "branching" out to the limbs. I begin by coating a section with Mod Podge Matte. I'm sure plain old white glue will work as well but I prefer the Mod Podge, I think it's less susceptible to I/A washes or other liquid contacts. Then using a tea strainer I sift the dirt on the Mod Podge. Then shake off any loose dirt. I work a small section or limb one at a time. You don't have to wait for each section to dry. And sometimes, especially on the trunk, I may sift dirt on with my fingers, this gives a little more course texture. Another note, this is not the final color, it will be stained later.

I'm also not too worried about separating all of the individual stands of wire at the end of the limbs, they will be covered with foliage. For a bare tree, such as I did here, I'll spend the extra effort on separating them.

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  1:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
FANTASTIC!!!

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  1:54:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Fred, I want to ensure I have this. Using white clay to coat the tree. Then modge podge, and sifted dirt....Correct'...

Ted

Page: of 42 Previous Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops  Europe 1918 Topic Next Topic: ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000