Railroad Line Forums - Grain or Feed Sacks
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 207 ]  [ Total: 208 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Grain or Feed Sacks
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Anatomy of a Tortoise Topic Next Topic:  Ilsa,Well always have Paris  

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2016 :  4:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does any one remember a magazine article on making grain or feed sacks in HO scale or?

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/09/2016 :  5:18:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John I believe it was in this book.
If it is the same article, they start off with a brass tube to make the sacks. Does that ring a bell?

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2016 :  6:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I copied this post from the Model Railroader forum:

Posted by TomDiehl on Saturday, June 17, 2006 10:30 AM

To go back to an OLD method I remember for making feed sacks, I believe it was from the book "764 Helpful Hints for Model Railroaders," Take a section of copper tubing about the right size for your feed sacks, in HO I believe that would be 1/4 inch, and cut it to length for the sacks with a pair of wire cutters. This will cru***he ends of the tubing to simulate the top and bottom seams. Flatten the rest of the tube slightly to look like a filled sack laying down, and paint the proper color. Cheap way to make LOTS of them.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 05/09/2016 6:21:40 PM

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2016 :  6:43:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
John,
Easy and inexpensive method to try.
Use Sculpty clay. Roll white clay into a cylinder...cut into feed sack lengths...pinch ends with fingers...fire at 265 degrees F for 15 minutes on a piece of non-stick pan lining paper. (no fumes so I use kitchen oven)
Print labels or paint to suit.

Some 1:29 bags I made.

David Guffey

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/09/2016 :  9:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John here is a picture where this guy used that method for his sacks from that magazine; http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/11/p/67988/833579.aspx

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2016 :  9:45:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tic-Tacs and nentos and altiods, painted will work too and perfect size for HO scale. Plain old chicklets for O scale sacks'...

Ted

Edited by - quartergauger48 on 05/09/2016 9:52:38 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  08:54:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Candy/gum in my layout area would bring on the bugs. I'd have silverfish, ants and roaches by the droves.

Frank

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  09:43:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lots of ideas! Much appreciated.
Thanks guys.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  09:51:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Candy/gum in my layout area would bring on the bugs. I'd have silverfish, ants and roaches by the droves.

At least you'd have beasts of burden tome them if needed.

Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

Previous Topic: Anatomy of a Tortoise Topic Next Topic:  Ilsa,Well always have Paris  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000