Railroad Line Forums - The Town
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Town
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920s Haiti Topic Next Topic: The Depot (at Carendt)
Page: of 24

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  8:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob and Frank.

Frank - any tracks that need further cuts will be done as I power up each section.

More next week.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Edited by - kumard on 02/05/2018 8:02:38 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  10:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I finally finished the wiring to power all the track. The two separate sections (the branch line and the traction freight line) are controlled from their own SPST switches. The crossovers required a little thought and in the end I came up with a couple of schemes to wire them up. I created a third bus not connected to either of the other two sections. The crossovers will always be on and are directly connected to the throttle. In order to control the frog poles I connected them to a DPDT switch and simply flip the switch to power the correct frogs for either direction.

This diagram demonstrates the general idea of how the crossovers are powered. I used just one DPDT switch to power all three crossovers.

This is the wiring to power the track. Because I decided to use buses to send power to the track each track has to have wires dropped down from the rails. It gets messy very quickly but works like a dream. Each wire can be disconnected from the bus in order to isolate problems. I was able to find problems very quickly just by isolating the power in sections.

I still have to add the wiring for the turnout motors so I may have to reorganize the layout on the staging platform.

The locomotive runs perfectly through the crossover.

Next on my list: turnout motors. I'm going to take a week off and start on that little project next weekend.

Thanks all.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  11:04:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful wiring work'..

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  11:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to see it works for you, Kumar. I recently finished a hand-laid diamond on my layout, also using a DPDT
switch to control the diamond's polarity. But in part because my crossing tracks were both spurs, I was able
to use the DPDT slide switch controlling the polarity of a turnout's frog to control the two changeable corners
of the diamond. So when that turnout is reversed, the diamond is powered for that spur, when it's normal the
diamond is powered for the other spur. This is possible because all my track in that area is a single block,
so I didn't need to switch feeds.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  08:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice smooth trackwork.

George

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  09:25:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar,

Your track and electrics are both well engineered. Impressive.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  10:23:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar, it's obvious you have a PHd in Bus Wiring.

Beautiful.

Your action photos are pretty neat too.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 02/20/2018 10:25:38 AM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  12:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all.

James >> I was able to use the DPDT slide switch controlling the polarity of a turnout's frog to control the two changeable corners of the diamond >> That's a great idea James. I had not thought of that. I'll give it some thought as to whether I want to rewire along similar lines.

This wiring project has awoken an interest in electronics. I'm particularly curious to find out if there is a way that more than one action (1. turn off sections, 2. switch polarities, 3. do other things etc) can be controlled from a single switch. I suspect a circuit board and electronic 'thingys' that I have absolutely no knowledge of might do this sort of thing. As such I ordered a book on basic electronic projects (Ebay, used, $7.50 including shipping). I shall see what magic tricks might be found and applied from within its pages.

I'll have more on wiring a couple of weeks. I'm doing a small track project using rivets this week. I'll post something on that next weekend.

Thanks for the comments.

Edited by - kumard on 02/20/2018 12:20:31 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  12:35:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Solid state logic opens up a whole world of tinkering, but I have not gone there. My layout does use two 4PDT slide switches
so I can 1) control polarity of a frog, 2) tell turnout position to the signals and 3) select which block feeders are
poweringa piece of track ('swing block' or 'x-section', depending on where you first read about it).

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  6:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I learned them as “x-sections”. I think it was from one of Don Fiehmann’s books. Probably one of the most useful yet simple wiring ideas I encountered.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/21/2018 :  06:08:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nicely done.......and it works!

Tom

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/21/2018 :  2:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James >> My layout does use two 4PDT slide switches so I can 1) control polarity of a frog, 2) tell turnout position to the signals and 3) select block feeders >> I'll purchase a couple of 4PDT switches and see if I can using them for my crossovers (X-section). The powering of the crossovers by each section was a particular issue that I couldn't figure out. Maybe these 4PDT switches will do the trick.

Thanks all. To be continued.

Edited by - kumard on 02/21/2018 2:51:26 PM

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  06:11:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Truly superb work on that track. :)

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  08:01:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that's a massive amount of wiring for such a small layout. My layout is 31 feet long and is DC with block control and doesn't have half that much wiring! I thought DCC was supposed to make the wiring simpler?

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  02:45:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

I'm on a break from wiring up The Town.

I've started building models of track landscaping. I did a couple of tests with the Brook Smith method and managed to produce this turnout:

For those interested in tracklaying with rivets (the Brook Smith method) I've posted a description here: http://thedepotonline.com/currentprojects/the-brook-smith-tracklaying-method-for-usa-track/

Back to wiring the Town tomorrow. I'll post more on that project another time.

Thanks all!!

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920s Haiti Topic Next Topic: The Depot (at Carendt)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.81 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000