Railroad Line Forums - The Town
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: RocknTommy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Town
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920s Haiti Topic Next Topic: The Depot (at Carendt)
Page: of 24

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  2:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi James,

I'll post my conclusions about PCB ties another time but for the moment my advice would be to score the ties to isolate them before laying the rails down. Actually the crossovers are very easy as you just continue the scores in the center line of each track.

I'm not sure I want to use PCB ties again but it's too early to make a final decision. I've been experimenting with a British system called 'Brook Smith' which uses tiny rivets embedded in the wooden ties onto which you solder the rail. My first test on a straight track went pretty well and the method can be used for turnouts and crossovers. It's very fiddly but the result looks superb. Can't use it for this module but will attempt to use it for the next module.

The Brooks Smith method uses rivets made by the Scalefour Society in the UK. I had them sent to me. You can buy them from their website and takes a week to arrive. I drilled holes and fitted them. The rivets sit a little high but this will allow me to add tie plates under each rail (not shown).

It took me a little while to figure out how to solder the rail to such a small surface but eventually I was able to get a sturdy join.

Once ballasted the track looked really good. I'm very excited to build a layout using this method and finally add missing features to the track such as tie plates.

Of course one of the benefits of using this method is that you don't have any pesky cuts in the ties to hide.

Thanks for your comments James.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Edited by - kumard on 01/22/2018 2:44:36 PM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  4:52:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kumar,

The results using the rivets looks fantastic!

Take care,
Rob.

MY BLOG: Journal of Model Railroad Design

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  9:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob,

I'm going to build a standard turnout eg no 6 with the Brooks-Smith rivets method just to see how easy/hard it is. I'll post more on that at a later date

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  03:48:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Indeed, very impressive.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  09:40:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The riveted & soldered track looks good! What prevents the rivets from seating on top of the ties?

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  6:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

The rivets have a stem and a head. The stem sits in a drilled hole and the head sits above the tie. You have to Superglue the rivet (or even better use epoxy) to secure it in the hole.

The rivets are suited to the older British rail profile called 'bullhead' and as a result the rivets are designed to hold the track above the rail so that the modeler can fit the chairs on the rail. USA rail sits nearer the tie on flatter plates and therefore I may have to file down the rivets or drill deeper wider holes. I'm still a bit fuzzy on what I will need to do but will know more when I build my test turnout using the Brook Smith rivets.

Thanks for comments all. I will post a full construction diary regarding the test turnout on my website when that little project has been completed.

Edited by - kumard on 01/24/2018 11:50:07 AM

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  7:44:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done, with a great explanation.
ed

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  8:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, kumard, your photo nicely shows the thickness of the rivet heads.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  11:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you haven't handled one, US (and UK in places where flat-bottom rail has replaced bullhead) tieplates hold the rail about 3/4" above the top of the tie, unless a flat place has been adzed into an uneven tie.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2018 :  12:04:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is very interesting to me as well. Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Rich

CWRailman
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2018 :  01:47:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit CWRailman's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I wonder how this would react to rail expansion and contraction. We use a similar process at every other joint between two rails. The two rails get soldered to the rail joiner which gets soldered to the top of a flat brass screw embedded into the roadbed. That becomes the anchor/control point. From that point the rail is allowed to grow in either direction but when it shrinks up it comes back to itís normal position. Here in the US where model railroads get exposed to variances of temperatures expansion/contraction is an issue and it does not take much change in temperature for this to happen.
Denny
Janitor in Training
CW Loco and Car Rebuild Shops
WEB site: http://www.cwrailman.com/
Facebook: CWRailman

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/24/2018 :  11:45:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Denny >> I wonder how this would react to rail expansion and contraction. >> Well I read some notes on the UK Scalefour forum (who supply the rivets) and they mentioned the familiar 'ping' of a rail breaking due to expansion. I will use plastic decorative joiners so I won't be dealing with long continuous sections of rail - that might help.

As there has been some interest in this track laying system I've decided to devote an hour each evening to building a test turnout. I'll post on that as I progress. I'll use a FastTracks template and will do one turnout and one straight secton with tie plates.

Iain Rice wrote a book twenty five years ago on building UK 4mm finescale track with the Brook Smith rivets. I'm going to try to adapt some of his methods to HO USA track.

Keep you posted.

Edited by - kumard on 01/24/2018 12:12:46 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  11:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

Quick intermediary post. Trains not quite running yet but very close. Here's an update:

It took a couple of weeks for my bus clamps to arrive so I just carried on dropping wires through the board to eventually connect to the bus. The black is positive, the is red negative and the green (that power the two-pole frogs of the crossovers) will switch between the two poles via a DPDT switch.

The clamps arrived from Shapeways last week. I had six made for each bus. I just ordered six to begin with to make sure they would do the job properly. They do. They are incredibly strong and hold the bus securly away from the underside of the board. Keeping them away from the surface makes cutting into the bus so much easier when connecting to the track wires.

First I drew a quick sketch of the clamp. Then made a quick demo from foam board. When I was satisfied with the dimensions I created a sketch in SketchUp and then sent this to Shapeways.

The clamps arrived a week later. The bus easily fitted in the hole without being too loose. The clamps are very light but still very strong.

The bus runs the length of the board and I tried to keep it close to the section wires that it will connect to.

I decided to build a staging platform for the DC wiring. The platform serves several purposes:

• It clears a space for the DC wires and terminal blocks.

• It sends wires to the control panel.

• It routes the wires the different sections.

• It hides the AC system wires beneath it.

• It allows me to drill holes to secure the terminal blocks without worrying about drilling through the surface of the board.

• It will hold the turnout motor switch wires.

I try to not ever throw things away. These plastic cylinders came from some self-assemble furniture kit (Ikea?). I didnít know what I was ever going to use them for. Came in handy here though.

The AC wiring is below the platform so that the DC wiring can be designed unencumbered. The goal is to connect the throttle, add the first section on off switch and power the first section of track. I also need to swap out the diagram for the updated version. I should be able to see the first locomotive moving on the track in the next few days.

Anyhow that's it for now. First train should be moving this week.

Thanks all.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  12:51:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kumar,

Everything looks to be taking shape very well ... and the wiring looks great so far. I'm sure it will be very nice to see some trains running soon.

Take care,
Rob.

MY BLOG: Journal of Model Railroad Design

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  08:35:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's what I like to see, progress.

Kumar, if these are PCB ties wouldn't these have to be cut also?

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 02/05/2018 09:00:01 AM

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920s Haiti Topic Next Topic: The Depot (at Carendt)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000