Railroad Line Forums - The Town
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 273 ]  [ Total: 277 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Town
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920s Haiti Topic Next Topic: The Depot (at Carendt)
Page: of 24

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  12:09:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank >> Tim cut his ties down the middle, have you considered cutting close to one side so they donít look so conspicuous? Whatever the course, I'm sure you're up to the challenge. >>Thanks Frank. I'll cut mine down the middle. I'll fill the cuts before painting.

Michael >> Some fine trackwork there. It all seems to fit together neatly. >> Thanks Michael. I'm looking forward to getting this part of the project finished.

James >> I've used both fine-tooth razor saws and motor tool cutoff disks to gap rails in these circumstance...Either way, styrene strip is an OK gap filler. s >> Jame, I've tried both in the past as well. Neither are ideal. I'll try that styrene method on a test rail and see how that works out.

Thanks for the feedback. More next weekend.

http://thedepotonline.com/

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  01:02:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, just a very quick post to mark the end of this piece of work.

Crossover is finished

At last it is done! This part of the project was the most difficult and stressful. The trackplan was designed around the crossover as I thought it would make for a visually interesting area of the layout. However having never built a crossover before I ended up spending alot of thought on the problem - going over the process again and again in my head before starting work on it. I'm glad to now be able to stop over-thinking the problem and finish the remaining turnouts. However I may delay wiring and take a break from the track once it is all laid. I want to start working on some buildings. I'll see how I feel once I've built the final turnover. I still have three more turnouts and one more crossover to do. Turnouts take two hours each which I will spread over a couple of evenings because I find it exhausting. There's a lot to get right and a lot that can go wrong with handlaying track so it's best to not work too hard and spread the process out over several evenings.

The crossover was part of the original sketch. Other areas have changed or been removed/added but the crossover has remained the centerpiece:

Building the first turnout. I'm really starting to get the hang of it. It went much faster than the first turnout and I managed to avoid all the mistakes of the first. I prefabricated all the components using a second printout and then assembled the parts starting with the frog. Once you have the frog in the correct place all other parts - stocks, closures, points, guard rails - are placed in relation to it and it all should fall together nicely (which it did):

The second turnout came together even better than the previous one. I tightened up the clearances and the wheels of my truck runs smoothly through the turnout:

And so finally after painting:

The painting is just a rough coat and the colors of the rail and ties will change once I start working on the trackbed. I can't do the trackbed until I've worked out fully what is going to happen at each stretch of track. The †trackbed landscaping will depend on its surroundings and usage. More on that another time.

Back to the diorama this weekend and then the remaining track in a couple of weeks.

Thanks all!

Edited by - kumard on 04/21/2017 01:03:37 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  07:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is amazing work Kumard but if that is what I had to do to have track it would be back to the golf course for me.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  07:55:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar,

Very nice indeed. You've earned a hearty congratulations and a break from trackwork.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  08:50:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good track work there, kumard!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  10:26:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very Pretty track work.

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  10:29:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar, that is a piece of art, beautiful.

Frank

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  12:41:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike >> That is amazing work Kumard but if that is what I had to do to have track it would be back to the golf course for me.>> Thanks Mike. There were moments during this project when I would much rather have been on the golf course than doing this. Let's hope it is worth it.

Thanks everyone else for your kind comments. I'm now taking a two week break from track to finish the diorama. I'll be posting daily progress on my blog and and big summary here once that project is done.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  6:11:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been out of town and just getting caught up. Looking at your crossover it looks like it was done by and old pro, not like your first attempt. Beautiful piece of work, Kumard.

George

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  12:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George D >> I've been out of town and just getting caught up. Looking at your crossover it looks like it was done by and old pro, not like your first attempt. Beautiful piece of work, Kumard >> Thanks George. I have one more crossover to do. Let's hope that one will go as smoothly.

Hi all.

Long break since the last post. I had a small illness and the medication for it knocked me out for a couple of weeks. I also took a quick trip across western Nevada tracing part of the route of the Modoc Line. I have a post of that trip coming up on my blog. In the meantime track-laying has continued.

I finished the second of the two turnouts for section three. Two more sections to go - one more turnout and one more crossing and then I'll be able to assemble them together. I've decided not to lay the rail on the straights as I want leave the area free for landscaping the trackbed.

As mentioned several time over, I really want full control to make the trackbed as realistic and as close to prototype as possible. This doesn't necessarily mean ballasting the track. The effects of age and weather may have left certain sections free of ballast and covered in dirt and vegetation while in other parts the ballast may have washed away leaving the track high and dry. I want to be able to capture all those effects and I find that leaving the rail laying to last makes this kind of landscaping much easier.

By now the process of laying ties is straightforward:

• Weather the ties by adding wood grain, gouges, and cuts to reflect the usual wear and tear of a poorly maintained branch line. Further weathering will be done while ballasting.

• Then stain with a light Indian ink and alcohol mix. I will do a proper coloring of the ties later with my Winsor Newton markers.

• Lay the non-turnout lengths with 1 PCB (printed circuit board) tie followed by 5 wooden ties. The PCB ties are stuck down with two part epoxy and the wooden ties are stuck down with PVA (white) glue.

• On the turnouts I lay two PCB ties followed by two wooden ties as I need to make sure I have PCB ties available in several key areas.

• I used 19Ē spaces between the tie centers but varied it to once again reflect movement of ties over time and poor maintenance.

Here's the trackbed:

The track was laid on top of my Templot drawing. Templot allowed me to create non-standard turnout designs on which to lay the track. I wanted gentle swaying curves that reflected true prototype track.

My calibration weights held my work in place while I worked on laying new ties elsewhere.

Here you can see the difference between PCB ties and wooden ties.

Iím still struggling with the clearances around the frog area.

And here are the two finished turnouts. I'll add the switch bars during wiring.

I've done two areas, as mentioned above I have just finished the the third and have two more sections to do before sticking them all down.

I have to get back to the diorama now and will post on that project soon.

Thanks all!

Edited by - kumard on 06/12/2017 1:11:25 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  1:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your turnouts look good. How do you fasten the ties to the drawing?

George

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  3:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, there's nothing but amazed lurking folks like me who can only shake our heads in wonder.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  7:34:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work, I see the hard work is done. If there ever was an easy part of this switching project.

Frank

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  1:09:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George D >> Your turnouts look good. How do you fasten the ties to the drawing? >> Thanks George. I use PVA (white) glue for the wooden ties and two-part epoxy for the PCB ties. I still need to tighten up clearances on the frogs as they are little too wide but the wheels pass through without any issues.

Kris >> Wow, there's nothing but amazed lurking folks like me who can only shake our heads in wonder. >> Thanks Kris. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes nothing more than hard work! There are definitely times that I look enviously at modelers laying commercial track in a matter of days and making it look great. I don't know why I'm torturing myself on this project but I hope the result will be worth it!

Frank >> Nice work, I see the hard work is done. If there ever was an easy part of this switching project. >> Thanks Frank. It has at times been a bit of a grind. I'm looking forward to getting this part of the project finished.

One more turnout and one more crossing and then done. More in a few weeks time.

Thanks all.

Edited by - kumard on 06/13/2017 1:10:32 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  1:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kumard

George D >> Your turnouts look good. How do you fasten the ties to the drawing? >> Thanks George. I use PVA (white) glue for the wooden ties and two-part epoxy for the PCB ties. I still need to tighten up clearances on the frogs as they are little too wide but the wheels pass through without any issues.

Are the drawings permanently fastened to the layout?

George

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920s Haiti Topic Next Topic: The Depot (at Carendt)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.96 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000