Railroad Line Forums - North Coast Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 77 ]  [ Total: 83 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 North Coast Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy HOn30 Quarry Line
Page: of 12

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  12:37:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you pull the pier a bit farther into the room (rightwards), it seems you could put another track parallel to the car float lead. You could start the curve in the yard throat itself, I think.

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  08:47:20 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I actually did some work on a building that I'd started long ago out of Walthers Modular components. Seems like I always starting things, but finishing them is in question. It will be a large brick Malting and milling operation down at the port docks.

In any of the trackplans , you'll see it in the lower right corner next to the silos. I had problems finding a glue to attached wood bracing to the plastic walls. At the suggestion of another forum member I tried a superglue gel. It worked, but don't tell my wife I stole all the glue she needs for her fake nails.

I am continuing to paint the walls doors and windows, to simply get back in the groove of things. Pics coming in a few days.

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 03/21/2018 10:00:32 AM

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  1:14:11 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
More progress in the modular walls, assembling, panting and detailing before gluing the four walls together. Pics soon.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 01/13/2018 07:55:13 AM

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  8:26:37 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just scored some new motive power for the North Coast Railroad, from an successful bid on Ebay. I won an PFM HOn3 Puffing Billy. I'd seen offers going for over $500.00 recently and one "in store" for $600.00 Although there was a hostile takeover attempt by some others railroad"s Board of Directors in the last few seconds, I scored it for $339.00. My board of directors is very happy and still living... till my wife finds out, and the hanging judge passes sentence from the (work) bench.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 03/21/2018 10:02:10 AM

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/26/2017 :  11:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Received two things from Santa. My Hon3 Puffing Billy came in, along with the Bar mills FS&M tribute kit. Been doing some slow assembly of the four story Malting House for the harbor area. Still working on the walls while flat. Not quite ready to glue everything together yet, but closing in on it. Also glued more Campbells shingles on the roof of the plaster Hermanson's Mill seen earlier in this thread.

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  07:57:04 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Due go the current blizzard, looks like there will be some hobby time today.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 03/30/2018 6:41:23 PM

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/20/2018 :  8:19:16 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Did you all have trouble deciding on a cut off date for the era of your railroad? For the most part if you are in hon3, it is most likely in the past.

I finally came up with it, down to the day. October 25,1951.

Why that date? It was the day I was born.

Do you have a cut off date? When and Why?

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 04/08/2018 10:04:35 PM

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  08:45:51 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here's a few pics of the port area Malt House. It was made from several Walthers Module kits, base, walls, roofs and old time fire escapes. It is freelanced, with general principles of malt house operations followed. It still needs some corner pieces and details attached, but the basics are there.

The tank were made from adding machine and register receipt paper cores, unmodified other than being painted a Martha Stewart copper. The back will be closed off with a simple form core panel, after a few interior lights are added. Note quite done, but getting there.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 01/23/2018 09:34:04 AM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  09:17:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice Malt House. It looks like the vertical tanks are copper pipe. Will they get polished and clear-coated to highlight the quality of the product?
Is it an illusion, or does the tower lean a little to the right and slightly twist the roof at that end?

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  09:31:52 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Bill, I think the weight of the tower hanging in thin air is the issue. I likely need a brace to support it upward.

It is also cut at an angle to the backdrop, so it is part illusion. It's kind of "half" background Thanks for noticing.

Dave

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 03/21/2018 10:05:52 AM

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/24/2018 :  08:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The building is one panel wide, two panels on the other. It will back against a wall at an angle.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2018 :  09:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David,
Nice job on the malt house. One fine looking building.
Dave

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2018 :  12:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done David,
ed

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2018 :  10:15:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Dave, that is a brilliant looking building'..

Ted

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2018 :  11:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David,

Itís rare to see a model of a malt house; I donít recall seeing many other than on British layouts. Well done.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 01/24/2018 11:36:32 PM

Page: of 12 Topic Next Topic: New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy HOn30 Quarry Line  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000