Railroad Line Forums - North Coast Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 125 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 North Coast Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Рецепты вечной любви
Page: of 7

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/26/2016 :  12:14:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking of the track lighting more as a way to add spot lighting to highlight specific areas once the layout is actual underway. I haven't bought anything yet, just been looking. I can't stand being blinded by the exposed 100 watts bulbs. I have four boxes up there, all controlled by a big dimmer. Definitely needs a valance of some sort up there, and some ceiling tiles of some sort. Sky blue of course.

I am open to ideas on all areas of the project.

Dave

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2016 :  12:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, The LEDs will not blind you like the regular incandescent. It's a little difficult to explain, But if you try one of the bulbs I mentioned, you will see what I am talking about....

1/4 G 48 :<)

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/01/2016 :  09:23:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From This point, I think this left side of the backdrop is 98% complete. I'm sure I'll dabble a few changes as time goes on, But overall, this is about as good as it is going to get. It's come a long way. The lower section will be covered up by the actual landscape of the layout,as it climbs from water level upward into the hills. So there was no need to paint below a certain level.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 04/01/2016 10:35:12 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2016 :  10:03:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice, David, and a heck of a lot better than I could do!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  09:39:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starting the rewiring portion of room prep by adding wall outlets attached to the bottom of mural base. I figured with the intent of lighting buildings it would handy to have outlets near by, as well as for drills, moto tools and soldering guns, and power for the layout in general. It also serves the need for temporary lighting when I change over the ceiling fixtures. Hopefully that gets done later today after church and afew errands.

Dave

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  09:49:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done backdrop. Fall coloring is hard to capture and your work is something to be admired.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  10:10:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks KP. there are likely to be some tweaks after building placements. No point in painting a nice tree that will never be seen as it ends up being stuck behind a structure. That and I'm getting impatient to build instead of paint.

Dave

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  7:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished the all the train room wiring as of about 6:00pm tonight. All the wall outlets were in as of last night. are in now. Today I worked on the overhead lighting. I had all of four 100 w bulbs in screw in sockets on the joists overhead. That has been changed to six boxes each with dual pointable spotlight sockets. So now it gives me 12 spotlights. Now a dozen 50 watt bulbs now give me light where I want it, that no longer shine into my eyes.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 04/04/2016 8:13:24 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  09:03:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds good, looking forward to pictures. If you find that 600W of incandescent light/heat (mostly) is too much, I suggest you look at equivalent LED bulbs.

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  09:35:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked for them at Home Depot unsuccessfully. The current bulbs will burnout sooner or later. In the meantime, I'll look in others stores for the LEDs.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  12:07:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazon has them and Lowes has them all the time for 7.99 each. Best price for a quality LED spot bulb in "NATURAL DAYLIGHT". Here is the nomenclature of the bulb.

SYLVANIA Ultra High Output LED Flood: BR30

65 Watts replacement using 9 WATTS:

22+ years of life: $1.08 per year estimated energy cost. 5 year Warranty'.

$7.99 Green with Orange stripe box.

1/4 G 48 :<)

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  12:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fantastic job on the backdrop! Not too distracting to my eye!

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  8:30:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all for the kind comments and responces. Ted, thanks for the specifics on the bulbs. I'm usually at either Home Depot or Lowes at least once a month for the "honeydoo" list.

Next up is laying out the left side of the track place full size. I found a huge piece of cardboard at work and crammed it into the car. I will copy off some turnouts to help lay things out. Footprints of the proposed buildings will also help get a feel for spacial relationships between things.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 04/24/2016 12:46:33 AM

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/24/2016 :  01:03:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I don't have pictures posted to show it, there has much much progress on the North Coast Railroad. I've laying out the bench work for the actual layout. It has been helpful to note propsed building placement vs reality, as well as real world size compared to a track plan.

The other thing has been the vertical element, grades being held in check to 4% by virtue of Woodland Scenic inclines. Handy stuff there! I wanted to make sure I gave myself enough room for the traditional 0-5-0 form of re-railing (my hands) in the hidden area under the layout, against the wall. Also roughly (temporarily) adding layers of foam and paper versions of buildings to see where the track plan holds up vs screws up Biggest issue related to underestimating the size of buildings on the plan.

Went to a local show two weeks ago and grabbed a few used buildings for the town area on the hill. Given the distance from the front edge up to the hilltop where the town is, refurbished buildings will be OK. Foreground stuff are all craftsman level kits (thus far)
Pics soon.

Thanks for your interest, comments always welcome.
Cold beer welcomed even more.

Dave

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/08/2016 :  10:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick update. IT'S SUMMER! WHAT RAILROAD? 1:1 project s are the rule of late, car repairs, lawn, weeds. Did a little work with some Fastrack gauges to better estimate curve placement. it'd giving me some visual assessment of parts of the trackplan that need to be, or can be altered to give more space. Decided that space being a premium along the North Coast waterfront,to run the track to the station on the dock, right down the middle of the cove's street. It leaves a bit more interest in setting up shore businesses.

Page: of 7 Topic Next Topic: Рецепты вечной любви  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000