Railroad Line Forums - North Coast Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 77 ]  [ Total: 77 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 North Coast Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy HOn30 Quarry Line
Page: of 12

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  10:37:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One suggestion about the above plan: if you envision two or three people operating this layout simultaneously, consider moving the crossover presently directly above your coaling tower. A carlength to the left, a yard crew can run around without fouling the main by the tunnel portal. Two carlengths to the right, short mainline trains have a siding where they can meet, and main line moves to/from the left can enter/leave the terminal area with a shorter backing move. One carlength to the right requires a double slip switch, but maximizes the siding length and avoids a reverse curve.

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  11:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. Now I see that there was no passing siding for the mainline. I'll move the crossover a few car lengths to the right as suggested.

By the way, not shown in the plan is that it would have one long hidden siding, under the hills. Seems like if it were at least three tracks wide it could also serve as hidden storage as well as a passing track.

I also noticed one other operational issue. As depicted in the last plan posting, following the route out of the port area does not provide direct access to the main line either. By moving the aforementioned crossover (above the coaling tower) to the right also gives access to the mainline from the port.

Maybe just moving the tunnel above the yard to the left a bit solves the problem and keeps the mainline passing siding longer.

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 02/21/2016 11:16:23 PM

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/01/2016 :  7:45:38 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, the good news is that I sold off a guitar that I've owned but no longer use. The better news is that I've been preparing the room for the backdrop. I was undecided, mixed feelings on covering up two windows. Yeah ventilation and all that, but decided I didn't want two widows in the middle of my sky.

I have about 1/3 of the backdrop up. For what it is worth a 4x8' sheet of 1/8" thick hardboard (masonite) can easily handle a 12" radius to make corners.
Been debating on using construction adhesive to stick it up, but decided if/when it's time to move or remove, that screws make it all easier. The only part being glued (and screwed) are the seams where the boards meet.

I cut off an 8" strip from each board to use as a front fascia, as 40" down from the ceiling was more than sufficient to work with. Pics will follow later in the week. along with a "finalized" plan. I reworked the town cove area to get more buildings on the waterfront, hanging out into the water, rather than all on solid ground.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 03/20/2016 3:44:41 PM

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/19/2016 :  9:28:48 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Update: 03/18/2016 Now that I have recovered from St. Patrick's Day, thought I'd post an update on the North Coast Railroad.

I've finished the construction of the backdrop around the walls in the hobby room. You'll note from the following photos, That I've also been painting the sky and clouds as well. I've been trying for a "bad weather moving in" look to things.
It's not as good as I had hoped, but more likely, as good as my meager talents, as first time trying to paint will allow.

Before I started, I watched a bunch of cloud painting Youtube presentations, including a few by Tim Gagnon. He makes it look so freaking simple. I guess that's the mark of greatness. Seems so effortless when he does it.

I'm depending on you guys, as your constructive comments are welcome.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 03/19/2016 9:38:56 PM

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2016 :  02:24:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks pretty good to me. Nice and stormy.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2016 :  08:02:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Consider installing your layout's final lighting scheme before repainting: I see some 'hot spots', presumably from more bare incandescent bulbs as in the 3rd photo. Both your backdrop and any commercial scenery materials you use will be considerably affected by major differences in color temperature if you plan to use LED or fluorescent lighting in the future.

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/20/2016 :  3:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
JB, thanks for the tips on lighting. You are correct that lighting consists of 4- 100 watt bulbs at the moment. I'd like to consider track lighting, after a bit of ceiling installation.

I've already repainted the left side of the backdrop again.. Third time thus far. I've used too many shades of too many colors with not enough blending in between. (Among other rookie errors)

I have a better incoming storm this time. ( at least in one person's humble opinion) The following photos, start at the left side the room to the right.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 03/20/2016 3:05:41 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2016 :  3:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't tried painting any clouds as 'close' and detailed as your darkest ones are. My backdrop is intended for photos taken by LP 'railfans', so my clouds are distant and fairly close to the horizon, and don't have you reaching for an umbrella.

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/20/2016 :  4:19:35 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Within the past hour, after posting the photos, I dulled the colors of the storm with lots of down strokes with a barely wet brush. It pulled a little paint from the all the different clouds to blur and blend the edges a bit. I realized that the down stroke, as compared to side strokes made it look like it was raining. JB, go get your umbrella.

Dave

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/24/2016 :  09:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A quick note to forum members, that your comments, ideas, and constructive criticisms are always welcome and appreciated. So feel free to engage me on things as you see them, be it recent or past postings.

You you are near Rochester, feel free to send me PM so we can get together.

Dave Buchholz

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2016 :  1:00:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I like the storm clouds but....when you are a ways back from being part of the storm, the cloud bottoms are basically flat. Also they are pretty much at the same elevation. Everything below the darker cloud bottoms is rain, above the flattish bottoms is the moisture in the cloud. You hardly notice this on a commercial flight, but flying a small plane you can see those "bottoms" are usually in a span of about 50'. I noticed the bottoms are also at an angle. They should be very close to horizontal.

Checkout this link. http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--TYn1-Z0c--/18dy3mmjafugrjpg.jpg

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/25/2016 :  01:51:47 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jim, Thank you for your comments. I see your point of the flat bottoms to the cloud structure. Tonight I headed back to the North Coast to Improve on the clouds. Spent a few hours down there. I over=painted many areas with horizontal bands of blended grays. It looks measurably better.

I also repainted the distant and mid distant mountains, and added some highlights and shading to them. I did not originally mix the "middle" mountains well for color, being light green. I switched to a purplish tone instead. Much better>
I promise pics tomorrow night. it's 2:00 am. Time to babk the coals in the firebox, and get my caboose to bed.

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/25/2016 :  9:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As promised, here's a few photos of the "improved" storm clouds. I like the distant and mid-distance hills, but the foreground hills and land forms look too lumpy to me,. They remind of of Gilligan's Island for some reason. They will need a repaint job.

Generally, seems like the third time is the charm for anything I am painting.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 04/08/2018 9:55:12 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2016 :  9:50:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I see what you mean by 'lumpy', but what strikes me more about the 1st and 2nd photos is that I'm not sure all the hills with autumn coloring agree on which way is down. This may well change with where the viewer is, so don't take it too seriously. Photo #3 doesn't give me that feeling.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2016 :  11:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi David', Your painting is looking very good. You will be very surprised to see how different it will look by installing 65 watt equivalent cool white lED spot light shaped bulb in your current light socket. You will not need the track lighting mechanism. The LED bulbs are sold in Lowe's for 7.99 each. They make a world of difference on the colors. It is the closest thing to real daylight in a light bulb. Buy just one and try it out. That is what I did. Now every bulb in my entire house and complete layout has these bulbs...

Ted

Page: of 12 Topic Next Topic: New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy HOn30 Quarry Line  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000