Railroad Line Forums - North Coast Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: schantze ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 North Coast Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HOn3 flea Topic Next Topic: The M - K & Eastern RR
Page: of 13

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2016 :  10:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David,

I like the look of that feed mill. Nice combination of shapes. Of course, I always like historic structures.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  12:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've revised some portions of the trackplan as of 02/21/2016 I'm trying to get more of a cove area feeling. By swinging the station on the left side into the isle area, it gives a better allusion to that end.

Your comments thoughts and ideas on design, details, operational faults etc are most welcome. Tell me what you like or dislike and/or see that I didn't!

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 03/30/2018 5:17:59 PM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  12:48:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man I like this plan David...

There's a fantastic amount of water!

And, I was raised south of Buffalo, so let's see what this brings....

Edited by - Carl B on 02/21/2016 12:51:46 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  1:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You have quite a few industries accessed via switchbacks. Enough so I'd rearrange the left end of the yard at top center so the yard/enginehouse lead merges into the dock/car float spur and makes a long runaround or arrival/departure track. You could keep the crossover in the middle, or remove it.

Also, if your car float is going to have more than one track, switching it prototypically will benefit from a place nearby where the switcher can stash half a track's worth of cars. This could be done by returning to the yard, but that might interfere with the operational feeling of 'going to switch the car float' and 'coming back to the yard'.

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  1:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
JBVB, if I follow you correctly on the yard lead question, have the spur to the car float/station pier become the yard lead instead of using a separate lead, as it is long enough to serve both purposes?

Agreed the float track could use some storage track. Good point. Can't get a handle on where to add it though.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 02/21/2016 1:32:22 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  2:17:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would place a turnout, points facing left, connecting the two tracks opposite the road that crosses the river. Or a little farther left if you can build/buy a curved turnout with the correct radii. I would leave both tracks as drawn between the mill building and the tunnel portal to the right of the enginehouse. Otherwise, originating a train of more than ~6 cars from the terminal area will be very involved.

To improve car float switching, you could put a 2nd track on the inside of the curve to the pier/float. Assuming your TT is drawn to scale and is less than 90 feet, the edge of the aisle is 24" or less from the wall at the slip with the smaller boat drawn in it. So it would be practical to reduce the aisle width by 2 or 3 inches.

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  2:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was apparently resizing some corrections as you were replying. Here's what I got from your original reply. Not sure if I nailed what you (JBVB) were thinking or not before your most recent post.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  3:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David J Buchholz
Anybody else (HOn3 nuts)here in Rochester NY?

Hi Dave. Does West Bloomfield count?

HO standard, HOn3, HOn30 and TT

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  3:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that counts.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  5:54:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's close, but using a LH turnout at the end of the lead/runaround requires the foot or more of straight track you've drawn. Ending the yard lead at a right-hand turnout at the end of the curve would improve the use of space IMO.

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  6:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm not quite picking up on what you are trying to convey. Going clockwise from the float dock. The turnout at the yard throat is right hand. Note the elimination of the original drill track in this drawing. Did you mean keep the original drill track, but simply merge in back into the float track/station lead, rather than have it be stub ended? It would prevent having to go all the way back to the turn out just before the port area tunnel to do yard related runarounds.

Going counter clockwise, the turnout for float storage siding is left handed. Are you suggesting something altered here from the latest drawing?

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  7:35:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"...Did you mean keep the original drill track, but simply merge in back into the float track/station lead, rather than have it be stub ended? It would prevent having to go all the way back to the turn out just before the port area tunnel to do yard related runarounds...."

That was what I meant.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  7:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David,

I definitely like your concept here. Railroads along waterfronts seem to take on some odd configurations, making them fascinating to model. I think you captured this complexity with lots of opportunity for interesting scenes.

You're getting some good advice too.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  8:08:34 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It's good to have other eyes available to look it over for "flaws and challenges." Thanks to all.

I've been working on that plan since October 2015, so it's been a work in progress. (Aren't they all?)

Dave

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  8:41:27 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok this should incorporate those suggestions now.
I also simplified the fuel tank farm in the port area as well. It was a bit too messy.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 02/21/2016 8:43:25 PM

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: HOn3 flea Topic Next Topic: The M - K & Eastern RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000