Railroad Line Forums - North Coast Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 North Coast Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HOn3 flea Topic Next Topic: The M - K & Eastern RR
Page: of 13

teaspoon
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2016 :  12:45:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
figuring out ways for the cat to meet an untimely end.
Perhaps a Catapult?

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/29/2016 :  05:44:22 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so lets try that pic posting again. I used one of the aforementioned links to "websizer" and reduced the sizes from 4200 pixels down to 800 wide.

So here's the walls painted.

I used a light coat of sandable automobile primer then hit it with several colors of earth tones on the brick faces It was followed up by a 50/50 thinned white for the mortar using a very small brush, and finally a wash of black ink diluted in alcohol. Priming it was the key

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 01/29/2016 06:08:27 AM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/29/2016 :  06:03:14 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Resizing down to the recommended 800 pixels via "websizer"worked, so here's few more photos. The other thing I discovered was that "quick reply" does not have the opportunity for attaching photos.

I mentioned that on a different forum there is a Hermanson Mill build thread that puts the windows behind the walls. Giving the allusion of thick stone walls is nice, but I used the flat precast window frame borders to mount them to the outside. It was much less work.

The tower walls were not straight. All four clamped together at the base made the top look like an peeled banana. Here's a warped wall first, and the second photo shows the cuts for repairs. It also shows using Squadron Putty to build up areas behind the window openings to support the window frames. Oddly the tower openings are smaller than the main building. The plastic windows supplied with the kit fit the main walls fine, but have to be narrowed to fit the tower. An X-acto knife and file did the trick.

Well, that's it for now. Thanks to everyone for eir suggestions.

CAT-apult.. I like it.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 02/21/2016 10:35:16 PM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/29/2016 :  06:19:48 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jschumaker

Is the cat helping you with the plumbing?

Jeff S.

Yes. The tail is good for snaking out the traps under the sink. Just gotta keep the claws away from tearing up the tubes of tooth paste.

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2016 :  09:43:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The coloring on your stone walls looks great!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2016 :  09:54:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Dallas.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/29/2016 :  10:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the kindness.

I tried to keep the tones soft and muted and old, not fire truck bright. I think the washes helped achieve that end.

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/30/2016 :  2:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I thought I'd add a few more pictures of some of my 2014 and 2015 projects. You'll notice an ongoing theme, that it seems I don't finish anything I start.

Valley Fuel, stared last Winter 2015

Awaiting lighting before the rest of the roof goes on. I decided not to use the supplied strip wood building corners, and go with plastruct "L" material instead. Looks the the roofers aren't done with the annex section either.

Penryn Fruit from Railroad kits

Believe it or not, This is Magee's Tires from Bar Mills that has been turned into a fishing shack.

Some of these projects were waiting for lighting. I bought some LEDs for things like dock lamps. Haven't tried to go blind or cross-eyed by working with them yet. In general, I plan of using the new (to me anyway) Woodland Scenic lighting system for interior use.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 11/22/2017 08:29:28 AM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2016 :  2:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David, the stone work has really nice color. I'm always interested in waterfront modeling because it makes for great interest, wharfs, docks, ships and boats arg-arg-arg.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 01/30/2016 2:57:40 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2016 :  3:56:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David,
I'm glad you mastered posting photos. I'm enjoying seeing the fruits of your labor.
Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/02/2016 :  4:28:12 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here's a few progress shots of the Hermanson Mill thus far as of 02/02/2016
The tower has been assembled. I decided on three walls glued to the main wall. The rear tower wall will be just that portion that etends up past the main wall. Since the clock on that side faces the roof and would not be seen by anyone in the town, its opening has been bricked up.

Overall, the building makes slow but steady progress. The second photo gives a bit of a comparison to a standard 50" boxcar.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 02/14/2016 6:35:32 PM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/14/2016 :  6:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thought it was about time to add some updates to the Hermanson Mills build. From the following photo you can see the four walls have been joined together. They still need some Squadron putty in the gaps, followed by carving and painting so that there are no seams.

The next few photos show that I've been one of the dreaded "box collectors" for many years. No layout... just boxes full of stuff on shelves and totes.

Out of the boxes.. The North Coast Railroad roster of Locomotives.

First the Shays.

The non-Shay roster

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 02/14/2016 6:50:06 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2016 :  10:12:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hermanson Mill is shaping up very nicely.

Good looking loco roster. Did you paint them, David?

George

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/15/2016 :  12:11:25 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I painted the 0-4-0 and the two truck shay.... hard to believe... over forty years ago. You might say that the weathering has come naturally. Still have the Thayer & Chandler air brush and compressor.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 04/17/2018 08:54:32 AM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/18/2016 :  8:04:57 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
With a snow day from work the other day, I had a chance to see how the planned hill side will work out. The paper Mill in the foreground will be a scratch build (using some artist license and selective compression) of the feed mill in Williamsville NY, where I grew up. It's been there since 1811. Although it was never served by rails, the "North Coast" version will be. Next up the hill is RDA's Indian River mill, and up top is the Hydrocal Hermenson's Mill, also from RDA.

The actual Williamsville mill front and back

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 02/21/2016 6:24:52 PM

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: HOn3 flea Topic Next Topic: The M - K & Eastern RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000