Railroad Line Forums - "Railroad Camp" Construction Project
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Fred of Medford ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 "Railroad Camp" Construction Project
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Water Topic Next Topic: Looking for Rivets
Page: of 63

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  4:09:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This topic/thread is specifically for the discussion of Sierra West's "Railroad Camp" kit. Many of us felt the "group construction" of Foss' Landing was very successful and a lot of fun, so we decided to give the idea another try.

Although many of us will not be starting until around Labor Day or shortly after, a couple of members have already initiated construction. We look forward to their early reports and progress photos.

Anyone who is currently building this kit (or who has already built it) is welcome to join in the discussion. Feel free to post updates, progress photos, suggestions, tips, questions... well, you get the idea.

So let the fun begin!

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  4:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For some additional inspiration....

RR-L member Brian Nolan ("Inspecbri") has already built RRC. Check out his excellent photos in the Sierra West "Gallery"

http://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com/gjun03/gjun03.html

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  7:31:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Chaps,

It is with great honour and trepidation that I declare this Construction Project well and truly open with a few comments on what I have done so far with the tarpaper shed.
1. I have detached it from the office and the back wall will now sit against a stone retaining wall.
2. I have raised up the whole building by about 30" by giving it a stone foundation.I used a Bragdon Enterprises retaining wall mold and cut pieces to suit.I coloured it with Woodland Scenics rockmold colours.The mortar joints are casting plaster brushed in and damped with a sponge applicator,the face of the stone was wiped clean.
3. I have increased the length by 5' making it now 27'wide.
4. I did not put a single door on the side like Brett's.I used a casting of a pair of decaying doors I had.
5. This was all achieved by using card as the base for the boarding ,not stripwood as Brett used.I considered it a waste of time and good stripwood to make up the framework according to the instructions as it would never be seen.So I now have a few extra bits of 4x4 and 4x8 to use when I make mistakes later on .
6. I am covering the roof with tarpaper using the Dave Revelia method rather than that of Brett.This basically means I will use strips that cover the whole width,rather than smaller random pieces.

This,I think,is enough information for the opening post.I am afraid I have not got into the digital camera age yet,too many kits to buy,so photos will be few and far between,sorry.You will all just have to imagine what I am trying to put across and when I can post some photos you will be able to see if your thoughts come close to my reality,or something.
I have tried to persuade "Our Bri" to give us the benefit of his experience,but he is bit of a shy Chap so might need some coaxing out of his corner.
I hope these ramblings have been of some help .

NickO

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  07:18:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NickO,
This thread is off to a good start with your comments!! Your variations to the tarpaper shed sound good. I wish I had of thought of them!

All,
I have been reading the manual in preparation for starting. I have been trying to get ideas how to make the structures a little different. I build Fossí as the instructions said, but I thought I might venture out and change the RR Camp some. Sort of like what some of you did with different paint schemes and Mikeís garage. The only thing I have come up with is instead of attaching the tarpaper shed to the office building, I would instead attach an open shed/carport type structure. Put a truck or car under it, with all the tools, being repaired. That would be pretty easy to do. Just have a dirt floor. It would also expose the nice rockwork on the side of the building. I like the tarpaper shed, so I might detach it like NickO did or attach it to another structure. I want my changes to make since & not change things just for the sake of changing. What do you guys think? Have you got any ideas yet?

This should be a great project. According to my count we already have 7 that are going to work on it together, Esky (Steven), Harry, Jim, Mike, NickO, Walt & myself. Plus input from Brian. Others will join once we get started. This should be an awesome thread & project

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 08/07/2003 07:23:49 AM

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  08:01:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Is anyone else not mentioned above going to participate? Let us know if I missed you!

Paul

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  09:40:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul, I agree that Nick's comments are a good way to get this thread off and running.

I like both his idea and yours for the tarpaper shed. I also like your idea for the open shed. It's worth thinking about some more.

As for myself, I haven't given too much thought to potential changes yet. I'll wait until I'm closer to actually beginning construction. One thing I have to be careful about with changes is the spacing of everything. This kit is planned for a very specific area on my layout, and the space is limited. So any changes will have to take that into account.

Last night I got my tractor/wagon repair shed back out so that I can resume work on it for the next few weeks. I put it away when we started Foss' back in January. I'd like to get a little more done on it between now and Labor Day weekend.

inspecbri
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  1:30:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul, your I dea of making an open garage aera and exposing the rock work is excellent! Nick is off to a flying start and has the whole thing turned inside out with great ideas. Nick and I were discussing some of these ideas prior to the game ball being thrown in.

I have to tell the group that I am not an authority on the RRC. I may have built it but, that was prior to becoming a member of our group. I made some minor errors along the way and was able to pull off a decent finished product.

I have received very nice compliments but, I know where I made little errors and I'm a master of cover up...can't have a big ego in our little world.

I will offer my knowledge of the construction and finish. I'll take some more photos of areas that you would like to study more in depth. Just ask me what you would like to see.I will try to do my best and make sure that no one makes a critical mistake.

It is my sincere goal that everyone creates a model as good if not better than mine.

I'll add one thing that I did: I switched the end walls on the Tractor Sepair Shed. I liked the windows so they could be seen. It also gives a little more view into the shop when you look under the shed roof work area on the side.

I will not bore you with a long report. In the future I will keep em short. This is your fun time and I'm not gonna spoil it by being a know it all.

Bri

PS. This message was for everyone but Nick

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  2:40:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Wassup,Uncle Bri,not talking to me?

Hi All,

I'm glad my opening salvo has been useful,just wait until I talk about the Office.
Like every one else I am hoping to pick up ideas and will not hesitate to use them if I can, so I am more than happy for others to use ideas I put forward.Therefore,Paul, just because I come up with some suggestions before you don't think that they are copyrighted.One person on their own won't think of every possibility but 7 or 8 people should be able to give a fairly comprehensive list.Well,this is what I'm hoping.

NickO

I'll talk to you,Nolan,later!

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  3:00:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

NickO,
Donít worry, weíll take all the credit & give you the blame!! Seriously, I agree with what you said about sharing ideas.

Brian,
We look forward to your ideas, comments & ideas too. The photos have been & will be a big help!

I have already printed them off and paper clipped them to my manual.

Paul

inspecbri
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  3:28:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couisin Nick,
Of course I'm talking to you. How could I not!
Has anyone stained their stripwood? I used Bretts methods with excellent results. The Office clapboard came out very well.I thought inside the box and did it his way to a tee. I had excellent results blending and dry brushing his way. As you know, I built the kit without much modification other than the Repair Shed end walls.

Brian

inspecbri
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  3:37:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul, I will send pictures as they are needed.
I have some that I didn't publish but I will take some better extreme close ups for good reference when you get to particular areas of question. Paul, I never thought that I was the pin up boy type!

Brian

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  6:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian,

When I build the SW Freight House & Fossí Landing, I followed his directions for staining/painting the stripwood & clapboard. I was very happy with the results. I even use his color suggestions! Iíll probably use his methods again with minor modifications.

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 08/07/2003 6:44:36 PM

inspecbri
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  8:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul,
I was real conservative when I built the RRC. It was my first SW kit and I was real impressed with the way it was presented it on his site. I decided to keep it that way. However, now that I'm a little more in tune with the group, I would definitely do some of the modifications that have been mentioned by you and Nick.

When you build the open garage to show stone work, maybe some side boards can be split or half off to let some light shine in from the side on to the stone work. A grain of wheat bulb up near the stone could do the trick...great shadows.
I did that in the Vehicle repair shed. I took it to a contest and ran it off an old tyco transformer. The effects were pleasing.Getting long winded...sorry

Brian

PS. Again, this isn't about me

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  8:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Brian and all
Brian first welcome back to the fold.
How was the vacation and did you take any pictures that you would be willing to share.
Also while I am not participating in this thread thanks to Brian I am modifying the truck repair shop from RR Camp to be the last building on my challenge project.
As this is board by board and board on board this will work just fine.
I am making alterations to the door and window placement and have lengthened to the width 10 scale feet.
I am not sure what I will use for the roof.
like the metal roofs but may go with rolled roofing like Nick mentioned.
I have a screened porch with rolled tarpaper roofing and since it faces north the roof seems to grow a mold and has a greenish color.
Sun does not ever shine on the roof due to trees.
Sorry I did not mean to clog up this thread with my rambling.
I like Brian tend to get long winded.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

inspecbri
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  9:34:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Hello Mr.John
Yes, I am back from vacation and I had to stop in at the Cass Scenic Railroad. Wow, The Shay's are unbelievable in person. I rode in front of # 5 (tonnage ?) I forgot. Well anyway, I'm not going to clog the thread either. Thanks for the welcome back and I look forward to hearing from you more....been some time..huh?

Brian

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  5:48:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian,

I noticed from your pictures that you put a water tank in your RR Camp. Did that come with the kit? I do not have the kit with me right now so I cannot check. That was & would be a good idea.

Also, what do you guys think of an outside staircase for the 2-story office building? I often wish I had added one to my SW Freight House.

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 08/11/2003 9:42:07 PM

Page: of 63 Previous Topic: Water Topic Next Topic: Looking for Rivets  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000