Railroad Line Forums - Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 11 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 62 ]  [ Total: 73 ]  [ Newest Member: Skymaster ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled
Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: A Virginia Barn Topic Next Topic: Who Said I Couldnt
Page: of 26

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  11:26:01 PM  Show Profile
In Sunday morining's Off Topic Discussion, I suggested that it might be a good idea for us to start a thread over here where we could post prototype photos that have struck our fancy. Some are of structures that cry out to be modeled, while others might just be great examples of weathering or construction techniques.

Mike thought it was worth a try, so I will kick it off by sharing a few of my favorites.

The Butler Coal facility is just a few miles from my house and remarkably, is still standing. It was served by the NYS&W via a siding that went up a ramp that was first earthern, and then supported by wooden bents. It is long enough to handle two 2-bay hoppers at a time. It is open at both ends, and the tracks extend about 10' past the far end on bents, ending with a steel bumper. There are at least four different coal bins beneath, presumably for different sizes of coal.

In this picture, the main line runs behind the structure.

Download Attachment: BC2a.JPG
78.71 KB

From this angle, the main line is just to the left of the photo.

Download Attachment: bc3b.JPG
78.06 KB

I will leave you with a picture of a typical barn that I snapped this past March just outside Pittsburgh. Talk about weathering!

Download Attachment: MailPouchBarn1.JPG
64.87 KB

How about it. Do you have any prototype structues pictures to share?

Bruce
Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  12:11:05 AM  Show Profile
Here's a pic of the local ALCOA plant that I'm modelling on my layout
here in central Arkansas. Their 14-mile shortline, the Bauxite
& Northern (BXN) serves the hoppers of bauxite ore into the plant (you
can see the tail track in the foreground).

Edited by - Eddie Landreth on 08/05/2003 12:11:59 AM

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  12:35:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Bruce,

I couldn't believe that coal facility was still standing when I first saw it last year.

If you want to look at photos of a very similar structure in South Waverly, PA, here is a link.

http://www.trainweb.org/gggrs/DLW_south_waverly.html

This is a town close to where I grew up and I frequently went by this facility. At one time, some one put together a mockup of a locomotive using an abandoned rail car and painted "I think I can" on the side of it. Then, the car was placed on the car ramp leading up into the building. They may have used the hopper you see in the photos.

Chuck

Wyoming Valley Railroad
http://sites.google.com/site/wvrails/

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  5:00:40 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Bruce,

I couldn't believe that coal facility was still standing when I first saw it last year.

If you want to look at photos of a very similar structure in South Waverly, PA, here is a link.

http://www.trainweb.org/gggrs/DLW_south_waverly.html

This is a town close to where I grew up and I frequently went by this facility. At one time, some one put together a mockup of a locomotive using an abandoned rail car and painted "I think I can" on the side of it. Then, the car was placed on the car ramp leading up into the building. They may have used the hopper you see in the photos.

Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks for the link. I grabbed a copy of the J.H. Murray Coal facility to save for future reference.

Bruce

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  7:55:56 PM  Show Profile
The Cumbre & Toltec coaling tower at Chama, New Mexico.

Jim

Edited by - ANo10 on 08/05/2003 8:03:30 PM

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  8:00:56 PM  Show Profile

Jim,

For some reason I got the X instead of your photo. It may be my computer. I'll try again later because I want to see the pic you posted. It is one of my favorite subjects.

Paul

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  8:07:53 PM  Show Profile
Paul,

It's not your computer, I was re-posting the picture to get it on screen. I had the width right, but you had to scroll for the height. Hope this helps.

Jim

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  8:12:25 PM  Show Profile

Jim,

I just came back to this thread and I can see the photo now. Thanks!

Great picture. Do you have any more pics of the Cumbre & Toltec coaling tower? If you do, would you post them?

Paul

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  8:17:49 PM  Show Profile
Paul

Let me review the CD my brother-in-law made for me of the Chama yard. I believe he took pictures of the coaling tower from several angles. Will post up later tonight.

Are you just interested in the coaling tower? He has some great pic's of the station at Chama, just crying to be modelled.

Jim

Edited by - ANo10 on 08/05/2003 8:20:40 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  8:20:22 PM  Show Profile
How about stucco for a change of pace? If you are like me, most of your structures have either brick or wood siding. This building is stucco, and probably began life as a feed & grain or farmer's supply building. It is currently the Bergen Brick, Stone & Tile in Wyckoff, NJ.

Download Attachment: BergenBrick3.JPG
40.61 KB

It was served by a siding (NYS&W) that sits under the cars parked along the side of the building. I imagine that the lower rear wing of the building was added at a later date. The front of the building has now been redone with samples of the stone and brick sold by the company, but was probably also originally stucco.

This would be easy to scratch build, and although I haven't yet tried to simulate stucco, I think I would try very wet spackle applied to the wall material (wood or styrene) with a wet, smooth sponge, and then painted concrete color.

Enjoy.

Bruce

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  8:22:44 PM  Show Profile
Jim,

That is a great picture of the C&T Coaling Tower! Thanks for posting the picture.

Bruce

Bruce

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  8:23:08 PM  Show Profile

Jim,

I would be interested in the pic's of the station at Chama. Post them as well.

I hope to make that trip & visit myself some day. Until then, I really enjoy any photos others might have.

Paul

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  01:23:07 AM  Show Profile
Paul,

Here's another view of the coal tower and the station at Chama, NM. To keep from using a lot of space of just the coal tower in this thread, I posted four more pic's in my photo album. If you are modeling the coal tower, hopefully there is enough detail.

Bruce,

A friend of mine wanted me to build an O scale church for her out of stucco. I used a modelling paste that is an extender to give acrylics texture. It works great and can be mixed with paints. I found it in the paint/artist section at Michael's.

Jim

Edited by - ANo10 on 08/06/2003 01:41:11 AM

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  06:47:14 AM  Show Profile

Thanks Jim! I'll look in your photo album.

Paul

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  12:00:17 PM  Show Profile
Jim,

Thanks for the tip on modeling stucco. I will give it a try.

Bruce

Bruce

cooldavion
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  2:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Send cooldavion an AOL message

This is not a ver good picture, but,

Page: of 26 Previous Topic: A Virginia Barn Topic Next Topic: Who Said I Couldnt  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000