Railroad Line Forums - Emporium Seafood
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 199 ]  [ Total: 201 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Emporium Seafood
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Waterfront Scene Topic Next Topic: Finish Them Up Fall Challenge (Sept - Dec 15)
Page: of 5

SteveCuster
Section Hand

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  12:12:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I'm at a standstill on my SW Shipyard/Foss Landing until I finish the rest of the waterfront which will include FSM Emporium Seafood, I figured I would get started on it. This has always been one of my favorite structures and one of George's most interesting designs in my opinion. I picked this kit up on ebay a few months ago. It looks like it took some damage at some point during its life, several of the wooden wall sections were broken when I opened the box. The kit also came with a
small bag of dirt or sand and it was torn open and spilled over everything in the box.

I glued all the broken pieces together and primed them with driftwood.

I used this brand driftwood I picked up from my local hobby shop. Its pretty close to the old flo-stain.

I primed all the detail parts. The only pieces I don't prime are anything that represents metal. I drop any castings that represent metal into Blacken-it.

I added all my rail holes and split some of the clapboards. I'm going for a pretty heavily weather siding on this structure some I broke quite a few of the clapboards with a razorblade. I use a wheel to add my nail holes to conserve time. If I was modeling a larger scale or a contest model I would use a pin and ruler but for the sake of time and sanity I prefer the wheel method.

George's instructions called for A&I wash over the driftwood stain but I wanted to go with a little darker gray since the siding on the shipyard was colored using that same method.
I colored the walls with Floquil UP Harbor Mist Gray, I diluted it by dipping my brush into the bottle and then into a bottle of dio-sol. It's the same method I used to color the walls of the Clam and Oyster Co in the Foss Landing kit. After this dries over night I will give it an A&I wash. That in combination with some heavy dry brushing I think will give me a nice chalky gray sun-bleached look.

-Steve

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  04:12:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One building I liked but never bought. I'll watch along with this one, Steve. The sand in the bag might have spilled from the plastic deteriorating. I found that out with a lot of bags (from highball, woodland scenics) I had ballast in that the plastic just gave way on it's own, I had many mixed gravels in one box. had to do what I could to add what was left to ...newer... plastic bags.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

chooch41
Fireman

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  06:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was one of the first FSM kits I ever built. Had fun with it and loved the way it turned out. I look forward to seeing your progress........

Brad

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  08:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve,

I recently scratchbuilt this in the forums last choices challenge, and I will be looking forward as to how you complete this kit. If there are any wood parts badly broken or missing, I'm sure you have the capability to make your own, using the templates, that's how I made mine. You are distressing the wood walls more than I did, and so far yours looks great. I will be following along with your build.

Rich

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  09:37:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve you have a great choice of structure to build. Looks like a fine job up to this point, and I'm looking forward to your progress. Nice save of the broken wall sections.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  10:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of 'holy' Driftwood stain: Tru-Color TCP-136 CN Lettering Gray is (to my eyes) a very close match to the original Floquil stain (I still have one unopened bottle for reference.) It has a very slight greenish tinge to it, which matche that tint in Driftwood stain.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

SteveCuster
Section Hand

Posted - 11/13/2015 :  9:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a little bit of time and made some more progress on the walls this week. After I stained them with the gray color I did 2 washes of my A&I solution. Then I applied the signs.

I cut the sign out as clean as possible, I also sanded the back of it with very fine sandpaper to make it as thin as possible.

I soaked the sign in my lighter A&I wash. I keep 3 32 OZ bottles around each mixed to different strengths.

Once it dried I glued it to the building with elmers white glue spread thinly with my finger.
I used a razor blade to cut the sign at each clapboard while the glue was still tacky, then I push the sign into the clapboards.

I did the same for the sign for the back of the building, I already scuffed it up a bit and sanded it in this picture.

This one I sanded it a little bit too thin and it started to tear but it will look fine once I weather it.

I added all the doors and windows. I painted them all the same floquil UP harbor mist gray and washed them with A&I.

The final step was to drybrush all the walls with antique white to give them a more chalky appearance. I took a picture halfway through this one to show how much of a difference I think it makes.

This is the final wall coloring and weathering. I was a little nervous because I got pretty aggressive with my razorblade when I was breaking and pulling up some of the clapboards but I think it turned out fine once I added the rest of the textures. Next step is added the window glass and shades.

-Steve

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2015 :  9:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good Steve!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2015 :  09:14:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the signs, Steve.

Bruce

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2015 :  09:25:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steve, I like your weathering a lot, broken boards and all. Quite convincing.

And the windows and doors match the siding nicely too.

-Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 11/14/2015 09:42:01 AM

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2015 :  09:30:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks quite good to me. Good job on he signs and weathering.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/14/2015 :  09:34:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic looking signs, and great weathering of your structure. Nice job Steve!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2015 :  12:45:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
beautiful job on the walls and signs. i'm looking forward to seeing your progress. thanks for posting.

SteveCuster
Section Hand

Posted - 11/14/2015 :  10:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. I'll post more pictures this weekend when I get the walls glued together.

-Steve

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2015 :  11:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  12:41:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is lookin good, my friend. Nice job on the wall coloring.

Rich

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Waterfront Scene Topic Next Topic: Finish Them Up Fall Challenge (Sept - Dec 15)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000