Railroad Line Forums - Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 218 ]  [ Total: 218 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: BCRR
Page: of 44

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/18/2015 :  5:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great update, Dave ... and, really glad to hear you're gonna stay with it and push forward! Been there, done that, still taking it one step at a time (even if those steps are days or weeks apart) ...!

Merry Christmas to you & yours! As always ...

CHEERS!

JSBSOn30MRRs - Jefferson State Black Sheep On30 Model Railroaders, Founding Member
DW&A - Diddy Wells & Afterthought On30 Module/Mini-Layout

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2015 :  08:04:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to know we'll be seeing more of the Thunder Mesa!

Arthur

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2016 :  3:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm happy to report that I'm back to work on the railroad! Some ideas I'd been kicking around for the overall plan have finally gelled, including a chat I had with Verne Niner about the future of San Lorenzo before his untimely passing. In the coming weeks there will be changes at San Lorenzo, Thunder Mesa town, Calico, Hanging Rock, and the planned turntable area. Look for a slightly simplified plan with a more logical operating scheme. Not to worry though, no changes are planned for the already completed portions of the layout. Stay tuned, amigos!

David Meek

Edited by - Arizona Dave on 02/04/2016 3:29:43 PM

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2016 :  3:32:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So happy to see San Lorenzo has survived and will have a home.

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/04/2016 :  3:34:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see you back at it, Dave ... ... I thought some of us were going into withdrawal there for awhile ... ...! Looking forward to the progress reports, as always!

CHEERS!

JSBSOn30MRRs - Jefferson State Black Sheep On30 Model Railroaders, Founding Member
DW&A - Diddy Wells & Afterthought On30 Module/Mini-Layout

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2016 :  3:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mabloodhound

So happy to see San Lorenzo has survived and will have a home.

Yes. San Lorenzo will survive but the original foam diorama base will not. One of the upcoming changes will see the diorama reworked and refreshed as a new "Mexican section" of Thunder Mesa town, an idea Verne himself came up with last year. All of the elements of the original diorama will remain (including the wonderful sound track) while being integrated more seamlessly into the existing scenery. The previous location of San Lorenzo will become the new turntable, engine house area.

David Meek

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/04/2016 :  5:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed seeing your layout from a distance.

Can you tell me again what size area this layout occupies?

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2016 :  5:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks. It's about 15' long by 8' wide with a 3' aisle along the font side between my workbench and studio.

David Meek

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2016 :  5:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to the new progress.

Smokestack Jack
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/04/2016 :  7:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just finished reading all 9 pages of the Thunder Mesa. You do great work. I hope some Tanner Creek RR will look half as good as yours. Your posts are very entertaining and give me a positive outlook on my model railroading abilities.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2016 :  9:06:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, it's great to see you back at it! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Mark

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  12:38:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! Feels good to be back modeling again. Jack, if you've got a few hours to spare, here's part I of this saga: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39429 ;)

David Meek

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  09:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, Glad you're back and enjoying the project again. Your planned changes sound like they will just add to the great scenes already there and will make operating more fun too. Neat!

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  12:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, glad to see you back too. I'm also happy that San Lorenzo will live on and in my opinion couldn't have a better home than on the Thunder Mesa where it will fit perfectly.

Arthur

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  6:35:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much guys. I'm so happy to have some of Verne's wonderful modeling here on the railroad.

I made some good progress today, integrating San Lorenzo into Thunder Mesa town and reworking the track arrangement in that corner for the future engine service area. I was reluctant to touch the original diorama at first, but Verne once suggested that it would make more sense to have it adjacent to Thunder Mesa, thus suggesting an older Spanish section of town next to the newer Anglo structures. I have to admit that I like it better as all one town and it makes much more sense for the layout as a whole. I will work to retain as much of the original "feel" of the diorama as possible in the new arrangement.

Moving San Lorenzo to the other side of the tracks just made too much sense not to do. This will also make the turntable area accessible without having to reach across the mainline tracks and provide more space for the engine house.

The original placement of San Lorenzo and the turntable. That wye switch on the curve caused occasional problems. The new track arrangement eliminates it.

David Meek

Page: of 44 Topic Next Topic: BCRR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000