Railroad Line Forums - Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 227 ]  [ Total: 231 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Lets get those ON30 juices flowing
Page: of 44

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2015 :  2:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh...I hope the change is something bigger!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2015 :  11:55:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, don't stop, and don't rethink it! You are creating a masterpiece! It's not a race. Just one step at a time. Trust me, you get more done is a reasonable period of time than many of us do. Your making great progress so just keep going when you feel like it. We enjoy it!

Mark

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2015 :  12:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find myself wanting to get more done and done quicker on the railroad too. I look at what I have still to do and see that there is so much to do yet and get discouraged. Then I remember I'm enjoying the journey and get back to work. The pieces will fall together in time. Concentrate on one small area and get it done to a level you're happy with so you can always have a physical reminder of the goal. Then do what you have to to get the trains lopping.

And we're still grieving the lost of our friend. That always takes some wind out of the sails.

It's only make-believe

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/14/2015 :  12:18:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Bob said, above ... ALL of it ...!

CHEERS!

JSBSOn30MRRs - Jefferson State Black Sheep On30 Model Railroaders, Founding Member
DW&A - Diddy Wells & Afterthought On30 Module/Mini-Layout

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2015 :  8:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grant Whipp

What Bob said, above ... ALL of it ...!

Ditto!

scott robertson
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/14/2015 :  9:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit scott robertson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Say it ain't so Joe (errrr.........Dave)". Scott

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2015 :  06:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to think I wanted a finished model railroad, so I set out to do just that. I worked like a dog on my previous HO layout for 10 years, started it in 1999, drove the first spike on 1-1-00, and finished it in 2009. I even had it published in the May 2010 issue of model railroader. The day that issue was hitting the stand I was at home tearing it all out because I was so bored with it. I learned that building it was what I liked most.

I also learned l really liked the planning and dreaming stage, and by the looks of your plans so do you. While I was building that HO layout I was always drawing track plans and wondering if I should redo what I had. Actually my final layout was not what I started with, I built the first area of that layout and changed the rest of it twice while building it. Even my new On3 layout had been redesigned while building it, just look at my fist post track plan and the plan a few pages later.

jbwilcox
Section Hand

Posted - 12/15/2015 :  08:35:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read all of this part, but I would like to go back and read Part 1 but I do not see it listed. Where can I find it?

jbwilcox

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/15/2015 :  09:37:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all of the kind words and thoughtful input, guys. I think I just need a little time to recharge my batteries before moving on with the railroad. I doubt I'll really change very much about the plan as it currently exists. I really enjoy running it the way it is. I'll be back at it soon!

@jbwilcox: A link to Part I can be found in the second post on this thread. Thanks for the interest.

David Meek

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2015 :  12:07:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I try to keep this in mind with any project.

it doesn't matter if there are 20 parts or 2000 You are only assembling 2 parts at a time.

Keep with it, if you're in a funk and a bit of a rut it'll always seem daunting, keep going and you'll soon be back on track (boom tish)

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2015 :  02:10:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know Dave, if you have followed my thread, there are many times where I have felt I have bitten off more than I can chew with my layout. Like so many others, it has always been my dream to build my 'dream layout' which in my case, being an operator at heart, meant making it a large railroad! Well, my dream finally came true after buying a new home with a larger basement. I have spent the last six years finishing the basement and building a double deck layout. There has been more blood, sweat and tears shed over those six years, but I finally got it to the point where it is operational and my dream has finally come true.

Over those past six years, there were many times I wondered if I did the right thing by building such a large layout. As I read through the forum, I wondered if it might have been smarter building a smaller layout where I could focus on my second love, scenery, structures and details. I think a lot of us second guess our ambitions. But now that I am at a stage where I can not only enjoy operations, but also begin to focus on scenery, structures and detailing, I am glad I pushed forward to get to this point. Will I ever get it all done to the point where I am satisfied? Time will tell! But I now have a lot to work with and keep my interests going in all stages of our hobby, be it operations, scenery, details, electronics, etc.

I for one admire what you have accomplished! It can be overwhelming at times, no matter how big our layout is. That may be a good time to step back, look at what we have accomplished, take pride in our accomplishments and get re-motivated. You have accomplished some incredible things with what you have done so far and I for one can't wait to see what your creativity brings us in the future. Your theme is unique and your modeling outstanding. Take a break, catch your breath, and take it one step at a time, knowing the end result will exceed your own expectations! Remember, its only a hobby!

Mark

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2015 :  6:45:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank Mark! And thanks to everyone who has followed along on the Thunder Mesa saga so far. I'm just getting started! Today I've put together a new blog post that lays out some plans for 2016 - mostly finishing up old projects that have been simmering for a long while. Writing it all down has helped me organize my thoughts and provided a plan of attack for just getting on with the build.

Now, on to the unfinished business:
http://thundermesaminingco.blogspot.com/2015/12/unfinished-business.html

David Meek

Edited by - Arizona Dave on 12/17/2015 10:13:19 AM

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 12/17/2015 :  12:01:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great update, Dave.

Cheers, Heath.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 12/17/2015 :  03:35:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still lurking Dave.....
Thanks for the update......

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2015 :  08:22:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great update, Dave. As you plan for 2016, realize how much you accomplished so far!

Page: of 44 Topic Next Topic: Lets get those ON30 juices flowing  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000