Railroad Line Forums - Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 203 ]  [ Total: 203 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: BCRR
Page: of 44

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/08/2017 :  08:55:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, you have me teetering on the edge of my seat waiting to see more. That is a neat scene!

scott robertson
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/08/2017 :  09:32:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit scott robertson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Will the rocks start to move only as the train approaches (imitating the vibration causing the movement)? Great fun as always! Scott

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/08/2017 :  11:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scott robertson

Will the rocks start to move only as the train approaches (imitating the vibration causing the movement)? Great fun as always! Scott

Yeah, I think I'll use a magnetic read switch to activate the animation as a train passes by.

David Meek

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/08/2017 :  1:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool'. The sky & scenery looks real'..

Ted

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/08/2017 :  4:46:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, as always, a fun update! I do love the idea of the rocks moving as the train goes by. True Disney! But correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am), but didn't you do the moving rocks else where? I seem to remember you writing about that before.

Mark

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  01:43:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what you mean ?
On the river a flatbbot attaks from riverpirates, and in the neaer the sheriff and athers to help the sheriff , i think its give a nice scene.

Headline on Magazin " Pirites attak a harmless flatboot.

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2017 :  11:04:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

Dave, as always, a fun update! I do love the idea of the rocks moving as the train goes by. True Disney! But correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am), but didn't you do the moving rocks else where? I seem to remember you writing about that before.

I've written about it before but the balancing rock scene has moved several times as the layout has grown. This is the final location (I hope) where I'll actually get the rocks to animate.

David Meek

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2017 :  9:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I thought you had! I love the idea. I can't wait to see you design and build it.

Mark

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/11/2017 :  8:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next thing we'll see Wile E Coyote chasing that darn road runner around the balancing rocks.

Love the imagination.

bruce

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/12/2017 :  12:53:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, the new work is looking great.
Here's an idea for some moving rocks. Very whimsical.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKcC7wwP5do

And here's how he did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUABqm_ST58

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

Edited by - robert goslin on 08/12/2017 12:56:36 AM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/12/2017 :  11:41:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well that answers that question! I think Dave (or someone) posted that before because I've seen both of those videos before, hence why I though Dave had already done this.

A very cool effect. Nice animation!

Mark

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  06:57:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would consider using infrared to trip the motion of the rocks, reed switches are ok but then every locomotive would need to have a magnet installed. Iowa Scaled Engineering has a lot of really cool stuff that might work for what you are doing, if you don't see it on the site shoot them an email and tell them what you are trying to do and I'll bet they could set you up.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  12:08:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coaltrain

I would consider using infrared to trip the motion of the rocks, reed switches are ok but then every locomotive would need to have a magnet installed. Iowa Scaled Engineering has a lot of really cool stuff that might work for what you are doing, if you don't see it on the site shoot them an email and tell them what you are trying to do and I'll bet they could set you up.

That's a good idea. Either infrared, or even optical detectors.

Mark

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  6:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robert goslin

Dave, the new work is looking great.
Here's an idea for some moving rocks. Very whimsical.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKcC7wwP5do

And here's how he did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUABqm_ST58

Ha! The first video was created and posted by me. Thunder Mesa Studio is my YouTube channel (please subscribe if you haven't already). I had a chance to meet Sam and see his wonderful layout at Fullerton Railroad Days a couple years ago. He is an incredibly talented young man who now works in Disney's WDI model shop.

An optical trigger is probably a better idea and I think I might have the parts in my electronics scrap box.

David Meek

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2017 :  11:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've decided to add a new "Boot Hill" scene up towards the front of the layout and made a good start on it this week. There's a new video and post about it on this week's Thunder Mesa blog: http://thundermesa.studio/thunder-mesa-mining-co/

David Meek

Page: of 44 Topic Next Topic: BCRR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000