Railroad Line Forums - Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 217 ]  [ Total: 217 ]  [ Newest Member: SceneryTime ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Crossing Tower Topic Next Topic: BCRR
Page: of 44

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  12:39:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today was moving and installation day for the new roll-away river unit.

Loaded in the back of my pick-up for the short drive up to Jerome.

Assembled in the studio before being rolled into position.

Docked in the aisle in front of Thunder Mesa town. A perfect fit!

I had a little time to start roughing in the scenery with EPF. I want the transition between the main layout and the river unit to be as seamless and invisible as possible so I'm using overlapping sections of rockwork to disguise the joints. When it's in place I'm sure people will ask how the heck I get to the turntable.

David Meek

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  07:31:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's going to be a great addition to the layout. Will you add a little more greenery to Thunder Mesa now that the river is so close by?

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  2:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, there should be some cottonwood trees and cattails down along the river bank.

David Meek

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  10:38:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Made a little more progress on the Thunder Mesa riverfront, roughing in the banks and starting on the road. The foreground area behind Rainbow Desert Freight Lines will be home to Fowler's Landing where the riverboats tie up to the dock.

...And speaking of riverboats, I've ordered one of the 50' paddle wheal steamers from Simon Cox at KHM. I've wanted one from the moment I first saw them and it's likely this whole river module exercise is just an excuse to get one.

David Meek

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2017 :  01:53:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do love how you have designed that section to roll into place and fit so well. Seeing your skills on the rest of the layout, there is no doubt it will in fact be a seamless transition.

As I was reading your latest entry and saw the work 'riverboat', I thought to myself 'now he needs to get a riverboat'. Then I read your last paragraph. That's going to make this an even more interesting addition!

Mark

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/14/2017 :  05:40:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several interesting ideas here. There is method to your madness, I suspect. What little hands cannot reach, they cannot touch.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2017 :  06:53:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neat, I also had a feeling that a riverboat was going to be steaming up that river and dock someplace in town. That's going to make a great focal point for the RR!

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2017 :  07:28:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has to be one of most artistic builds on this forum!

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/15/2017 :  12:57:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! There's a new update on the Thunder Mesa blog today with more details on the construction of the River Unit module. Check it out!
http://thundermesa.studio/2017/07/work-begins-on-the-thunder-mesa-riverfront/

David Meek

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2017 :  2:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Magnificent. Or possible even better.
ed

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/15/2017 :  7:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave if you are looking for a nice river boat I can recommend Kitwoodhills lazer cut one.

(Excuse the old photo).

Mines the 50ft version but I seriously considered taking a chunk out of the middle to shorten it. (Kitwoodhills actually send me plans of where to cut the components). http://www.kitwoodhillmodels.com/

I have more photos of this excellent kit if anyone is interested in it.

Dave I like your 'imagination'. I'm reading along and learning.

bruce

Edited by - brucet on 07/15/2017 7:35:03 PM

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/15/2017 :  8:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bruce. Yes, it's a great looking kit and I have one on order. Simon is also now working on a 65' paddle steamer too.

David Meek

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2017 :  12:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to be interesting to see how you will do a whimsy Walt Desiney river boat to go with the rest of the design.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/16/2017 :  02:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, depending on how much space you have, you may find the 50ft plenty big enough. It takes up quite a bit of waterfront.

It's a great kit. Well designed and easy but hard! Keep it flat and level while constructing the hull. I was paranoid about keeping it level yet still managed to get a small twist in the hull. I think if you open up the joints a smidgen there should be less tension and thus less chance of twisting.

I was going to get one of Simon's small turntables. But just can't squeeze it in.

Good luck.

bruce

Edited by - brucet on 07/16/2017 02:12:20 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2017 :  09:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Thank you for that little bit of history in your blog because I was one of those people skeptical about the riverboat. Now it makes sense. You're off to a great start on the rolling module.

Mike

Page: of 44 Previous Topic: Crossing Tower Topic Next Topic: BCRR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000