Railroad Line Forums - Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 221 ]  [ Total: 224 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Lets get those ON30 juices flowing
Page: of 44

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  12:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,
I'm back working on the railroad again after taking a little time off over the summer (actually, I've been very busy with real world work). Some of you who were friends with Verne Niner and fans of his work might be interested to know that another of his excellent On30 Porters has found a new home on the TMMC.

E&SG #2 is a heavily modified Bachmann 0-4-2 with an auxiliary tender that greatly improves electrical pick-up and operations. She was originally purchased from Verne by Peter Sierson who recently sold her to me. The 2 spot joins E&SG #3, Rattler on the Thunder Mesa Line. I have no plans to repaint either locomotive since I enjoy being reminded of Verne every time I run them. Other than swapping out the link and pin couplers for Kadee's, the only other change I'm planning to make is to add a name. This locomotive will be known as Estrella (star in Spanish) from here on out.

David Meek

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  2:20:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful tribute Dave. I'm glad to see a lot of Vern's work at a single location and on a outstanding railroad.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  2:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arizona Dave

Hey guys,
I'm back working on the railroad again after taking a little time off over the summer (actually, I've been very busy with real world work). Some of you who were friends with Verne Niner and fans of his work might be interested to know that another of his excellent On30 Porters has found a new home on the TMMC....

Earlier this week I was reading Verne's construction article for this engine. What a great job he did. The article has inspired me to upgrade my 042 Porter's pickups with a water car.

PS: I will say it again: your desert vegetation looks awesome.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  8:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its good to see you back at it Dave. That is a nice engine and a nice tribute to Vern. I know he's happy to know it found a home on your layout.

Mark

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 08/11/2016 :  02:11:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice to see Verne's loco has found a home on such a beautiful layout.

fireman93514
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/11/2016 :  09:49:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool Dave. I love those little Porters. It is a nice tribute to a real gentleman that are not going to repaint them.

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2016 :  10:32:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fireman93514

Very cool Dave. I love those little Porters. It is a nice tribute to a real gentleman that are not going to repaint them.

Thanks guys. Before Verne passed, we worked out a connection and interchange between his E&SG and the TMMC (See the sidebar on page 77 of the 2015 On30 Annual). The era becomes a little fuzzy since he was modeling a later period, but mostly it works. Now the story on the TMMC is that the two E&SG locomotives were acquired to replace the original numbers 2 & 3 that were lost in a terrible accident on Calico Canyon High Bridge.

David Meek

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  7:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At long last there's a new post on the Thunder Mesa website! Here's an update and more information on the current locomotive roster:
http://thundermesaminingco.blogspot.com/2016/08/an-update-to-thunder-mesa-mining-co.html

And here's a link to a new video, 3:10 to Calico, featuring E&SG #2:
https://youtu.be/L1u2p1hk6nY

David Meek

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  8:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, excellent pictures. Funny I had Verne's #8 out on my RR today.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  8:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Loved the video.

It's only make-believe

nevadablue
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  12:37:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad the #2 is on your layout now Dave. I have two Porters sans cabs, one ore car and a dinosaur from Verne and they are special parts of my RR stuff.

I was going to buy the #2 from Verne, but since I planned to modify it, Verne asked me not to, and offered the two rigs with no cab. I'm glad it worked out this way.

Edited by - nevadablue on 08/15/2016 12:44:02 AM

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  03:10:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave: Very nice blog and video. I didn't realize how many engines you have! Looking great.

Thought I would mention that I visit your blog periodically, even if there isn't anything new.
I know I can always find some interesting articles there. Thanks for sharing. Bob.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  07:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love that last photo

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  5:51:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another great video Dave!

Mark

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2016 :  10:01:59 AM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just read trough both volumes, great modeling dave and looking forward to another update

on a side note, I sent you an email

On30 Dave
seen on G+, YOUTUBE and FB

Page: of 44 Topic Next Topic: Lets get those ON30 juices flowing  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000