Railroad Line Forums - Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 241 ]  [ Total: 243 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: BCRR
Page: of 44

nevadablue
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/25/2016 :  11:01:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, what IS that cute little loco?

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/27/2016 :  8:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nevadablue

Well, what IS that cute little loco?

That is engine #2, Walter Knott. The locomotive was built atop a Kato 103 chassis with a 3-D printed body from Shapeways.

The loco was built for a planned On18 mini-layout that would travel to shows and such when not "docked" with Thunder Mesa. That plan fell by the wayside but a good stretch of On18 tram remains in the new plan. More about how I built the Walter here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44538&whichpage=1

David Meek

nevadablue
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/27/2016 :  9:56:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave! Love it!

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/28/2016 :  7:09:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2 steps forward, 1 step back. After considering the options for a few weeks I finally decided to tweak the track layout at Calico to add about a car length to the passing siding. There's also a new spur to the ore transfer bins that are served by the On18 line. Here's a before and after.

Before: This layout at Calico lead smoothly into the reverse loop, but after running trains for awhile I decided that the passing siding was just too short.

After: A longer passing siding and more switching options. The siding is now aligned for the continuous run back to Thunder Mesa but the reverse loop is still an option. A better trade off I think.

David Meek

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2016 :  7:21:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I awoke this morning with the itch to build some scenery so I've started in on Calico Mountain. Here's where trains will emerge from the mountain to the sounds of blasting deep in the mines, and the balancing rocks will move and sway as they pass. I drew the red line to help visualize the basic shape of the mountain to come.

David Meek

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/29/2016 :  7:51:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good.

It's only make-believe

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/29/2016 :  8:32:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's going to be a good mountain.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 05/29/2016 :  10:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I look forward to your mountain building.

Mark

W,L,&E

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 05/30/2016 :  10:25:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see yer' still at it.....;-)
I will have to try that pink mountain stuff soon.....
Nice change up!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/30/2016 :  12:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your off to a great start Dave! I've been waiting to see you transform this area. Can't wait to see it progress.

Mark

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 05/30/2016 :  5:18:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to this next step, Dave.

Arthur

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/30/2016 :  9:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.

In conjunction with building the scenery at Calico, I also want to create mock-ups for all of the structures there. Here's the first of those, the Calico Mine Co., based on the load building for the Calico Mine Ride at Knott's.

David Meek

nevadablue
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/30/2016 :  11:57:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice! I just caught the dark spray on the tracks, I like that. I tried red primer and like the dark color better.

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/31/2016 :  11:11:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I spray all of my track with Krylon Camouflage Dark Brown. It has an extremely flat finish and makes an ideal base coat for detailing and weathering the track.

David Meek

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/31/2016 :  6:48:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A couple more paper model mock-ups for Calico town today. These are well known structures from Knott's Ghost Town. On the left is the Boot Hill Undertaker (Rig R. Mortis Undertaker on the TMMC), and next door is the famous Bird Cage Theatre. These structures will be low-relief to fit the space in front of the backdrop. Next up will be the Calico Saloon.

David Meek

Page: of 44 Topic Next Topic: BCRR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000