Railroad Line Forums - Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 224 ]  [ Total: 225 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Lets get those ON30 juices flowing
Page: of 44

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2015 :  8:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, another neat establishment is getting topped off, nice work.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  01:02:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm loving watching this structure come together. Looking good Dave!

Mark

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  10:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
Sorry it took me so long to stop in and read volume II. Very nice progress on Olson & Furlow's and the rock work behind the structure.

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  8:56:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

Here's a close up of Olson & Furlow's to show the signs, bills and period advertisements on the walls. A small tribute is the "Mescal Lines" poster made from an original graphic for Knott's Ghost Town & Calico Railroad. Still need to finish the roof.

David Meek

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  11:59:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, once again you've pulled it off. The signs make it! Looks great.

Mark

Seca River Matt
New Hire

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  04:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Love it! Makes you want to shoot down to Hanging Rock for a quick shot of "Agave flavoured water"...
BUT, I have to ask - where did you get those great signs from?

Thanks!

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  08:33:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, neat building, neat signs,but mixing Laudanum and black powder is mighty risky business, pardner.
Years back there was an old house in the village here that was being completely renovated. The story goes when the plaster and lathe were stripped out of one bedroom, a number of old Laudanum bottles were found tucked in between the studs. The thought was the original lady of the house had supposedly sought to reduce her "hysteria" with a dose or two a day.

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  08:39:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Another great building Dave, really love the signs, they five the building a lot of character.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  2:15:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, guys. Bill, that's a great story! Hopefully the laudanum is being stored far away from the black powder. Matt, for the signs I just did a Google image search for "19th Century ads" and another one for "wanted posters." I picked what I liked and then resized them in Photoshop.

David Meek

Edited by - Arizona Dave on 09/27/2015 2:17:17 PM

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  2:39:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, just wanted to let you know that you have inspired me once again. Last year your materials on design influenced my own planning. Now, I decided to read more about the Disney "Imagineering," although I am years away from building scenery. I went back and looked at the original photos of your layout and your blog explanation of how you built the Big Thunder Saloon. Your thread and blogs are helping me put a lighter edge on my tendency to see a layout as a scale engineering model without people or humor. Thank you. Bob.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  8:11:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Bob! It is a real pleasure to share ideas with so many talented modelers.

Today's progress: tarpaper roofing on Olson & Furlow's. The rolled roofing is made from 1" wide strips of 220 grit sandpaper.

David Meek

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  9:07:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely a gritty establishment there.

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  11:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's me, gritty realism all the way!

David Meek

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  11:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really beautiful!

Dave, if I might make one small suggestion… Would it be possible at this stage to blacken the ragged edges of the rolled roofing? It's not a big deal, just something that caught my eye.

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  01:21:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Dunakin

Really beautiful!

Would it be possible at this stage to blacken the ragged edges of the rolled roofing?

I assumed it was old and faded, rather than new damage. I has seen blacktop roads faded to almost white after many years. The paper's edge is bright in contrast to the surface of the paper. I would suggest toning it down it a bit as the surface likely has seen more sun.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Edited by - rca2 on 09/28/2015 01:33:16 AM

Page: of 44 Topic Next Topic: Lets get those ON30 juices flowing  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000