Railroad Line Forums - Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 211 ]  [ Total: 211 ]  [ Newest Member: SceneryTime ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Crossing Tower Topic Next Topic: BCRR
Page: of 44

Lee in KC
New Hire

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  10:21:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Horse Thief Canyon... when I was pledging a fraternity at Arizona State University (1967), I and several other pledges were "grabbed" and taken to Horse Thief Basin and dumped in the middle of the night. We had to hike out and hitch a ride back to Tempe!!

Be that as it may, what I'm really posting about is, I wonder if we could talk you into doing a little video on how you carve your foam and what bits you use in your Dremel. The effects you get are really impressive!

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  11:03:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I second what Lee said.

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  12:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did someone say, "video?"

Heres a new how-to video describing my rock cutting and carving techniques in more depth. Hope this answers some questions about how I get those rock textures in the EPF board. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/9Zz__jzDNgY

There's also a new post up on the Thunder Mesa blog today beginning a series on the building of Horse Thief Canyon. Hope you'll check it out: http://thundermesaminingco.blogspot.com/2016/02/building-horse-thief-canyon-part-i.html

David Meek

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  2:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the video Dave!

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Lee in KC
New Hire

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  3:10:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much, Dave.

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  3:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always look forward to your videos and blog posts, Dave ... ... consistently informative and entertaining ... Thanks for sharing!

CHEERS!

JSBSOn30MRRs - Jefferson State Black Sheep On30 Model Railroaders, Founding Member
DW&A - Diddy Wells & Afterthought On30 Module/Mini-Layout

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  8:04:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Video was a great teaching tool. Thanks. Doc Tom

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  8:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice video Dave....Now I know! ;-)

ChiloquinRuss
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  8:43:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChiloquinRuss's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks teach! That's a nickname for a teacher and that is what you are.

Great video, well done and a nice choice for a complete understanding of the process. Russ

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  12:31:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, not only is your modeling top notch, but so are your videos and your blog! What a treat to actually see how you make your canyon walls. You do make it look so easy. Thanks for taking the time to do that for us. I'm already looking forward to the next installment!

Mark

fireman93514
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  10:34:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great video Dave.

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  12:26:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update and video. Always great to see you in action, well your hands anyway...

Cheers, Heath.

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  8:39:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, so glad you liked the video.

Today I was able to get the first coat of flat latex paint on the lower reaches of Horse Thief Canyon. This golden tan color will act as a base for the final coloring and texturing to come.

David Meek

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  10:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HOLY er, COW!! Every time I think you can't possibly outdo yourself, you just do it. When I think about where you've come since Part 1, Page 1, I'm absolutely amazed and totally looking forward to every update, video and blog post.

Thanks so much,

Steve Flanigan

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/29/2016 :  7:34:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Horse Thief Canyon update: painting and ground cover are finished (for now) for the first 16' of the slot canyon's depth. Only 56' more to go!

Looking up the canyon:

The dry, sandy floor of Horse Thief Canyon. Frequent flash floods mean nothing much can take root down there:

David Meek

Edited by - Arizona Dave on 02/29/2016 8:14:32 PM

Page: of 44 Previous Topic: Crossing Tower Topic Next Topic: BCRR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000