Railroad Line Forums - Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 226 ]  [ Total: 230 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Lets get those ON30 juices flowing
Page: of 44

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/08/2016 :  1:26:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave - Can't wait to see the Caverns/Mine Shaft come to fruition!

As for integrating the San Lorenzo structures into the town, I must say that is a very Disney-esque touch. Seems like Disney has the ability to morph from one themed area to another, and I can imagine walking through Big Thunder on your layout feeling the mood change in a subtle but noticeable way. Nice!

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2016 :  6:57:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I decided to go ahead and "pull the trigger" on some more substantial changes to the right-of-way I've been considering, this time at Hanging Rock and Calico. Looks like the 3% grade is going to Yesterland in favor of a reverse loop. Being able to turn the trains around at Calico should make operations much more enjoyable.

A big chunk of the mainline is now missing at Horse Thief Canyon. I'm lowering the rear grade here to connect with a reverse loop at Calico.

Here's an idea of what's planned:

It's funny, while I like to draw elaborate illustrated track plans, I often end up actually working from a thumbnail like this.

David Meek

Seca River Matt
New Hire

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  5:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out comes the heavy equipment...

The idea of a mineshaft exposed is a really clever one - I think Eric Lundberg used one back on his HOn3 incarnation of Leadville - but an animated lift would be something to see. There's something similar at Minitur-Wunderland (in Germany) - only there they had an animated TNT blast! (https://youtu.be/8QGaDrAoEVU)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  6:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might have a grade problem between turnouts r-v.

It's only make-believe

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  8:20:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

You might have a grade problem between turnouts r-v.

Oh, I know. That's why the grade is being mostly eliminated.

Realigning the grade for a new reverse loop at Calico meant replacing nearly all of the plywood sub-roadbed and risers along the entire backstretch of the railroad. Next will come cork roadbed and then track. With any luck, trains should be running again by the weekend. Operations will now consist of moving trains from Thunder Mesa to Calico and back. With the new arrangement at Calico, trains will be able to either continue on around the loop via the ore bin "siding" or, more realistically, return down the mainline the way they came.

David Meek

Tom Coletti
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  8:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'd be hesitant to have a passing track on a grade. However, if you move the passing track to the foreground and drop the corner from 54" to 53", then it seems to solve the mainline grade issue and it gives the scene a bit more flow while also retaining the On18 portable layout you had discussed earlier:

Not sure how steep the branchline going up to Big Thunder would be, though.

Edit: Whoops! I posted this only seconds after you added your revised plans. I guess making the branchline into an On18 extension solves the grade issues.

Edited by - Tom Coletti on 02/10/2016 8:24:38 PM

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  8:33:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the thought you put into that, Tom. Yes, the upper highline is now On18 and the portable Calico layout idea has gone away once again. I liked the idea, but the truth is I just don't travel to enough shows (or plan to) to make it worthwhile. From a scenery and operations standpoint it just makes much more sense to have Calico on the mainline so that it can act as the other end of the line from Thunder Mesa. Now there's a real reason for the railroad to exist, hauling ore from the rich diggings at Calico back to the mill and interchange at Thunder Mesa.

David Meek

Edited by - Arizona Dave on 02/10/2016 8:35:55 PM

Tom Coletti
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  8:40:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No worries, Dave. Your streamlining of the plan seems to be a vast improvement for operations while leaving room for plenty of scenery.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  10:35:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I certainly think you're smart finding this out now and making these changes before you've done much more construction. Dropping the Calico portable part I think was a good call. Might I point out you could put in a staging yard in it's place.

It's only make-believe

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2016 :  12:42:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have obviously put a lot of thought into these changes and it looks like it will work out much better. Its always good to discover these changes now rather then later! And more importantly, to not be afraid to make those changes!

Mark

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2016 :  9:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today I was able to finish all of the track and wiring for the new Calico reverse loop and passing siding. Amazingly, everything works!

I used an MRC DCC auto-reverse module to wire the loop.

David Meek

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/12/2016 :  10:24:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Dave. You kept plenty of dramatic canyon bridges too!

Looking forward to seeing what you do next. Bob.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2016 :  12:44:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's looking good Dave. That's going to be a great looking waterfall.

Dave, which system do you use for DCC and why?

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 02/13/2016 12:45:56 AM

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2016 :  04:42:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lurking, but as always, watching with great interest! This is going to be something special...

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2016 :  11:08:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Dave, which system do you use for DCC and why?

I use an NCE Power Cab and have been very happy with it. The system was recommended by a friend and has turned out to be perfect for my needs. Plenty of power for a railroad this size.

David Meek

Page: of 44 Topic Next Topic: Lets get those ON30 juices flowing  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.97 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000