Railroad Line Forums - Sheepscot Red Herring Packing Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: Mark DeSchane ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Sheepscot Red Herring Packing Build
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Does anyone know whose model this is? Topic Next Topic: SierraWest Tractor Repair Shed and Boiler House
Page: of 48

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  08:53:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to a build of Sheepscot Scale Products Red Herring Packing Company #1270, released in 1996. George Barrett still operates as Sheepscot Scale Products, but now only produces HO scale truck kits and parts, and also offers custom building services. He stopped production of his line of structure kits years ago. Thanks to member Greg Shinnie (Ensign) who had this one in his personal collection... we arranged a mutually satisfying deal, that put this kit on my bench.

There seems to be a "reputation" about the Sheepscot kits. Comments from: "It's a pile of sticks" to "there's no instructions-just templates". I will report honestly about my experiences and issues, good or bad, as they arise.

After several different forum searches, I have found a few people, like Mike Corley/friscomike, Tim Kerkhoff and Steve Wheland/SteveW,) that documented any builds of Sheepscot kits. Unfortunately Steve passed away in March 2013. In one of his posts he described them as "right in between a scratch and a kit build!" All of them built into good looking models. As far as I can find, there were no builds of this particular kit.

There is only one color wide angle photo attached to the top of the box, which is probably the "pilot" model. Features include a 10,000 gallon water tower, brass windmill, three buildings, fish tanks, sea walls, boom and mast, even a 11' boat hull is included. The pier/dock shown in the picture was not included. I'll have to build that from scratch.

The kit is packaged in the familiar 12'' x 9" x 2 1/2" green Sheepscot box.

And upon opening this heavy container, the first view.

There a many different materials used, including laser cut walls for one building, board on board for another building, etched brass, plaster cast sea walls, plastic windows and doors, etc. and 296 pieces of strip wood. There are very few "details" included.

There is a massive amount of documentation, including stapled 8.5" x 11" booklets of general HO scale building tips,4 pages of black and white photos of many angles, and other general instructions on building "common" items around a building.

For example, there are two pages on "Detailing Roof Eaves", 2 pages on "Platforms, Walkways and Stairs". 2 pages on "Modeling A Waterfront", a single page on "Walls & Windows" a single page on "Pier Construction" . A 9 page booklet is called "Building HO Scale Structures" and describes the basics and some advanced guidelines on how to build ANY kit.

There's even a 2 page glossary of "building" terms and a 1 page glossary of "trucking" terms. 6 full size 8.5" x 11" templates are provided on .008" cardstock.

The 30 pages of "instructions" begin with 2 pages of the complete parts list (how nice!), and possible site plans for your future layout site or diorama. The plans indicate a space of 6" x 28" to contain all the units to be built to match the color photo.

The 18 clear-high quality black and white photos are in a separate booklet on glossy paper. Mr. Barrett even provided a complete shot list, describing each picture and the angle of the camera where it was taken!

The paperwork is mostly templates, line drawings, and arrows pointing at this or that. There is no running text or narrative. There are 6 lists of "what to do in what order".

There is little direct-"glue this to that", or "insert A to B". Or "cut this many of that stock".

I hope you'll join me in this adventure, it will take a long time, but I'll try my level best to build this beast, and have some fun doing it. Anyone interested in following along?

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  09:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Carl,

That looks like it's going to be a great build when it is gone. Will be interesting to hear about your trials & tribulations as you go along, so I will be following along.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  10:17:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl, It looks like a wonderful project. I am not a model RR kit builder (no one makes them in my
scale anyway) but I am still very interested. I will be following your adventure with great interest.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  10:34:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl, To start off with, I hate kits, Id rather scratch build any day. So that box of stuff is right up my alley. Looks like a great set of drawings to "get'er done". Im sure youll do us proud.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  11:05:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Carl! I've been waiting for you to finally start building this kit/scene.
I originally bought this kit at an estate auction several years ago.
I thought it looked like a fantastic seaside scene to model.
I just never got around to it, so I'm happy to see that you will be the man, to finally free this kit from it's box.
I'm certain that this kit in your hands, will turn out spectacular!
Best of luck with it!

Greg Shinnie

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  11:29:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl,
Looks like a great kit...I still need a little hand-holding to complete a kit though

John

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  11:47:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will be following along on this adventure.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  3:23:15 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Carl.

I will be watching your progress on this one with much interest. I have the Lime works in my stack which will end up being one of only three buildings on the mountain side of my home layout. I've looked at other Sheepscot kits often. To me they are fantastic looking kits and would add a real visual bang to any layout.

Cheers, Mark.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  4:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm in Carl. I had a couple of building kits from Sheepscot and sold them some 15 years ago, but I still have the barge, which I forgot about 'till now. Need to build that one. Thanks for posting this, ought to be fun.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  4:43:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carl,

This ought to be a good one! You've caught my attention.

Jeff Betcher

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  5:44:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl,

Well, I do see a pile of sticks in the box, but I also see much more. Looks like a great kit and anticipate you'll have a lot of fun building it.

Looking forward to watching you put it together.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  6:24:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, this one looks to be right up your alley ... or down your wharf ... or whatever the heck applies here. Look forward to seeing you work some more of that seaside magic!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  7:18:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone for your comments of confidence and interest!

Nice to hear there are others with Sheepscot kits on the shelf...hopefully I can reveal and share enough information to encourage you to blow off the dust and start yours...and with a build thread too!

I am going to begin with the small stuff first and ease into it...after I study and digest everything several times

And for the "scratch crew"- I envy you guys, and am looking for your comments especially. At first glance, this looks like there's limited guidance, just the parts, plans and your own skills.

maandg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  7:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Carl! I have this kit (unbuilt) as well. I was outraged to find out it did not come with the pier. That's what makes this kit and it is certainly implied by the box art that the pier is included. "Pier Optional" is written on the label, but that is a far cry from the more accurate declaration of "pier not included". To me, the insinuation is that it can be built as a non-waterfront model. I realize I can scratchbuild the pier (and I will), but I definitely felt duped by Sheepscot. In any event, I can't wait to see what you do with it!!!

Cliff Powers
The Mississippi Alabama & Gulf
Please visit my layout website at
www.magnoliaroute.com

Edited by - maandg on 09/16/2015 8:02:27 PM

PaulS
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  8:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, Good for you and looking forward to your build thread !!
My friend Dave and I shared the build of this kit for his layout, I built most of the structures and he built the pier and waterfront area. Yes Cliff, Dave also felt a duped that there was no pier.
Carl if it is helpful and as you get into it a little bit more, we may be able to provide you with some pictures of what we did. I will also let Dave know of your build and have him check in here to see the progress or offer some additional help if and where needed.
I also recall commenting to Dave while building the structures that this was the best kit I ever scratch built !!
Enjoy and looking forward to following along.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  11:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you bet your braden's cove people will be following along!

if you suck at playing the trumpet...that's probably why.

Page: of 48 Previous Topic: Does anyone know whose model this is? Topic Next Topic: SierraWest Tractor Repair Shed and Boiler House  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000