Railroad Line Forums - "Finish Them Up" Fall Challenge (Sept - Dec '15)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 202 ]  [ Total: 204 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 "Finish Them Up" Fall Challenge (Sept - Dec '15)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Topic Next Topic: Outside Corner Trim on Structures - Odd Angles
Page: of 13

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/17/2015 :  11:39:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will jump in, but probably not until after Halloween. It is prop building season, and there are also a couple leftover summer honey-do's that need completion as well.

Galen

EDIT/UPDATE: Upon reflection of my goals for the layout, I have decided to finish the Campbell Red Mountain Mine that's been sitting on the 'portable' workbench for quite some time.

Backstory -read only if you've got the time- Originally, I created the 'portable' workbench to be able to work on a project anywhere, so I could spend time with my wife (and later, family) as she worked on her scrapbooking, or sewing, etc. That worked well, I'm pleased to say. Recently, however, I was given a second workstation made from clear plexiglass with pvc cups and tubes glued on to hold tools and parts. This is more functional but less portable. So I set them up in the train room, one on the desk in the room, the other in the supply closet. I could actually work on the one in the closet, but the lighting is poor, so the plan is to swap them out from time to time as projects come and go.

As for the layout goals, I want to host an operating session next summer. Some of that preparation involves purchasing an additional throttle, building the last sections of benchwork, laying more track, wiring, etc. But the part that fits into the challenge is creating structure mockups and building actual structures. In order to do that, I need to get that mine of the portable workbench.

If I get the mine finished in the time allotted, I will probably finish a mock-up that I started which will be a placeholder for an industry. There is much to do to get the layout ready, but not much of that work fits into the 'finish them up' category. There's some wiring...

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Edited by - ocalicreek on 09/18/2015 1:07:00 PM

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2015 :  8:43:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So how many guys IS that, Dutch?

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/21/2015 :  09:20:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by engineerkyle

So how many guys IS that, Dutch?

That is a dozen definite with one or two maybes, Kyle.

Bruce

NE Brownstone
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/21/2015 :  10:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit NE Brownstone's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a couple of dioramas displays I need to finish before the Springfield show, so this is a good reason to get them out of the way.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/21/2015 :  12:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am going to jump in with two scratchbuilt Grand Trunk cars from a couple of years ago that still need a few details, paint and lettering.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/21/2015 :  7:59:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A couple of pictures of the boxcars I am building:

Really only a few details remain, largely things like door hardware.

Mike

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 09/22/2015 :  06:41:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sharp looking builds Mike, almost a shame to paint them.

mountaingoatgreg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/25/2015 :  11:45:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit mountaingoatgreg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am going to finish up my H.S. Michael oil distributor. I have the main building started and I need to complete the exterior sheeting on the building and add interior details. I also need to complete the storage tanks, train and truck loading areas. My problem now is locating the storage tanks, we have been in the midst of an unplanned remodel at the house so everything is out of place. I will focus on the main building for now and keep looking for the tanks and other items.

Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2015 :  2:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a hotel kitbash I need to finish, so I'm in. I started a thread on finishing this build over a year ago, then got sidetracked.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42502

Jeff S.

Edited by - jschumaker on 09/25/2015 2:45:40 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/25/2015 :  2:45:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I finally straightened up the modeling bench enough to at least uncover the most recent 'models is progress'.

As I mentioned back on page 1, in order to take some photos for a weathering clinic, I had quickly pulled out three black 2-bay hoppers from different manufacturers, sprayed them will DullCote, and then partly weathered them using different approaches.

This one has half of one side weathered with a mineral spirits wash.

Before starting any larger project, I want to finish these up and get them on the layout.

As I uncovered one back corner of the bench I found this box lid with an Alloy Forms car in it that I had forgotten about. I had cleaned off the flash and then gave it a coat of flat black spray paint and apparently set it aside. so I will 'quickly' finish that up, too.

Bruce

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  10:43:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff, I like the closed shutter idea on your hotel. What a great way to "cover" for a missing window frame. Also, the modifications you're making are showing nice craftsmanship.

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  10:44:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

Should I assume the flat black is an undercoat?

Guys, all the projects look good to me. Thanks for the updates...

Kyle

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  11:20:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by engineerkyle

Bruce,

Should I assume the flat black is an undercoat?

Kyle

Yes indeed, Kyle. It should be well cured by now!

Bruce

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  1:08:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased a set of ON30 6 camp cars years ago and let's just say it needed some work after they arrived from the UK. The cars got a slight repaint at first but since then the roofs have started to warp and a few other issues started to appear. The camp went in a box but I think it is time to try to restore the first 6 cars cars plus a three others I had laying around.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  02:16:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last year, I took out a section of track, so I could build a bridge across a long open area. This also meant I couldn't run the trains until done.
Thought it might only take me a few weeks to build.
I have been making up the various bits of the construction, but not been actually able to join it all together.
Here I am 12 months later and still not done. I've been doing a lot of structures this year, plus home chores, but have been frustrated all this time that the trains aren't running.

I've decided enough is enough. Get that bridge built.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Topic Next Topic: Outside Corner Trim on Structures - Odd Angles  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000