Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 125 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

Genetk44
Section Hand

Posted - 09/01/2015 :  1:29:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kumard

quote:
Originally posted by robchant

Hi Kumard,

I would have to agree with everyone else; your layout looks great! Even in the close-up photos, there is absolutely nothing that is not pleasing to my eye. And it is such scrutiny that separates a good layout from a great layout. The one thing that I really like are the toned down and muted colours and also how everything fits so well together and actually compliments each other. Although there nothing wrong with improving a layout, a modeler must also know when to stop. Our skills will (hopefully) always keep improving, and nothing would get accomplished if we tell ourselves that we must go back and redo every past project to our current standards.

Take care,
Rob.

Well thank you (all) and yes you are right: there is a point where one has to say enough is enough.

The minor color and texture adjustments will be done this week and then that's it!! No more.

I'll play around with frog kits and may try to replace at least one. It's a big and dangerous project to replace turnouts that have already been completed. If that one goes well then over time I'll replace the others.

Anyway next week I'll get back to the rolling stock repainting and weathering. I've done some weathering in the past but have a couple of excellent books on the subject. One of the best books that I have read so far is this one: 'Weathering by Tom Mann.'

It's written for N scale but I'm amazed at how good the N scale stock looks after using his weathering methods. All the methods would work in HO.

His website is here: http://www.weatheringfactory.com/?page_id=185 and the book can still be ordered. Highly recommended.

Other than that I'm looking online for weathering and detailing information for the rolling stock. Since there will only be around 10-15 items max for the layout once again I can take my time and 'go deep' into the weathering.

Here's a picture of some of the stock:

The locomotives were bought for less than $30 a piece off Ebay and are made by Atlas. One is a GP7 and the other is a GP38.

I'm definitely repainting the GP7 in Soo Line colors. I'm not yet sure about the GP38. I'm starting this next project on the weekend.

Kumar...here are links to two different rolling stock weathering pages..in case you haven't found them yet.

http://www.protomodeler.com/index.php?/forum/80-painting-and-weathering-discussions/

http://tws-rustbucket.com

Edited by - Genetk44 on 09/01/2015 1:31:20 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/01/2015 :  2:08:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kumar...here are links to two different rolling stock weathering pages..in case you haven't found them yet.

TY! The forum link in particular will be quite a lot to digest. I will check them all out.

http://thedepotonline.com/

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2015 :  12:49:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As you embark on weathering, it might be useful to think about era and how that's reflected in equipment, paint schemes, vehicles and the general condition of things on and near the RR. The boxcars I climbed around on in the late 1960s still had roofwalks and some were wood (paint all gone, heavily worn). But while the paint was worn, dirty and had the beginnings of rust, nothing looked like Mr. Mann's cover photos. GP-7s were ~15 years old and some RRs were trading them in. GP-38s still looked great even if the shine was off the paint.

Within 5 years, roofwalks were gone, very little repainting had taken place and the GP-38s looked a lot more worn. But the financial nadir of most RRs was a few years later, perhaps 1977-1980.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/02/2015 :  12:01:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

As you embark on weathering, it might be useful to think about era and how that's reflected in equipment, paint schemes, vehicles and the general condition of things on and near the RR. The boxcars I climbed around on in the late 1960s still had roofwalks and some were wood (paint all gone, heavily worn). But while the paint was worn, dirty and had the beginnings of rust, nothing looked like Mr. Mann's cover photos. GP-7s were ~15 years old and some RRs were trading them in. GP-38s still looked great even if the shine was off the paint.

Within 5 years, roofwalks were gone, very little repainting had taken place and the GP-38s looked a lot more worn. But the financial nadir of most RRs was a few years later, perhaps 1977-1980.

Yes in fact I need to decide on a rough five year period for the line and make sure the rolling stock and supporting vehicles fit the era. I believe the red and white scheme came in around 1964 so mid-Sixties Soo Line new scheme painted stock would be in good condition and only require gentle weathering and minimal rusting. However early to mid-seventies would be in many ways more interesting since as you mentioned things started to go downhill fast for many railroads and maintenance was slipping badly.

I shall weigh these issues in my mind this week.

This would make a nice modelling subject:

I like the weathering on this GP38:

Edited by - kumard on 04/28/2016 6:21:35 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/05/2015 :  4:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The cover has been returned. I'll post more pictures later today:

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/05/2015 :  7:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I decided to take the advice of folks on this here forum and stop tweaking the layout and move onto other things.

I had previously matted down the background photo and was keen to place it back on the layout. I'm glad to see that the colors of the layout and backdrop matched nicely - something that wasn't planned - I was merely lucky to find a backdrop with the correct colors. I had always wanted the colors to be fairly muted - faded greens, no bright colors - and the layout reflects that. The layout has a narrow color circle based around just a few shades of green, medium earth, some black, some white and accent colors only (such as the figures and vehicles).

My main concern was with the flatness of everything and I spent the last few weeks trying to make some items 'pop' more (such as the track leading to the concrete platform). However as soon as the backdrop went on I saw that everything - colors and all - worked just fine.

As mentioned a couple of times previously I want to replace the backdrop and I have made some progress in that matter. I'll post the test online and then will be ordering it from the printers.

I will now focus on rolling stock weathering and detailing. Once the rolling stock weathering is done the layout will be finished.

I also debating changing the layout's name to 'The Depot' (at Carendt) since I don't want folks to confuse the layout with the well-known website by Carl Arendt - even though there is a connection. I hope that sits well with people.

Here are some pics.

Edited by - kumard on 12/09/2015 11:54:10 AM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2015 :  7:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kumard, it still amazes me that your layout is only 18" deep. And you're right about the colours, they tie in very nicely with the backdrop and everything feel "just right" to me. Your low level photos really placed the viewer in the scene and one can feel the quaintness of the setting. Your layout has provided endless inspiration since I am planning a layout that has 18" wide shelves as well. And if it turns out half as well as this, I would be truly very happy. Take care, Rob.

Genetk44
Section Hand

Posted - 09/05/2015 :  7:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kumar....that is fantastic! Really awesome! The way the layout colours blend in with the backdrop colours is unbelievable, I'm blown away by it!. I think you can be very proud of your work, it surely is in the same league with some of the best layouts I have ever seen, both online and exhibition layouts. !!!!

Cheers
Gene

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/05/2015 :  7:52:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob and Gene.

Rob: yes it's amazing what can be done in such a small width. I've seen some very impressive shelf layouts that are even narrower.

Also I'll hopefully be taking nicer pictures. I have to add the final lighting and the final backdrop plus rolling stock. Then I'll use my expensive Canon and L telephoto lenses. However I must say that I've been very impressed with the 8mp camera in my iPhone. These were all taken with the iPhone including the closeups at track level: the phone is small enough to place on the layout.

Edited by - kumard on 09/05/2015 8:31:23 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  12:03:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar, does your phone camera have an 'aperture priority' setting? Shooting with a high f-stop (f/22 or higher) and slow shutter speed might require a tripod or sandbag, but it would give you much better depth of field.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  12:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Kumar, does your phone camera have an 'aperture priority' setting? Shooting with a high f-stop (f/22 or higher) and slow shutter speed might require a tripod or sandbag, but it would give you much better depth of field.

James,

Good point. I didn't think to look - I'll check and see what aperture settings it has.

The iPhone has a panoramic setting which I'm still trying to figure out:

I am able to put the other camera I shoot with (a Canon 60D with a Canon L lens 24-105mm 1/4L) onto a tripod and shoot with a high f-stop and slow shutter speed. Of course I can't get in close to the layout with that bulky camera.

Anyhow thanks for making the suggestion. I'll check the settings tomorrow.

Edited by - kumard on 09/06/2015 11:10:37 AM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  01:03:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm repainting this engine Soo Line colors in the next couple of weeks:

Edited by - kumard on 09/06/2015 01:13:48 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  08:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

rrkreitler
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  09:06:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, amazing work in such a narrow space. This is one of the best transitions from layout to backdrop I have ever seen. Beautiful work on the colors!

Thanks,
Dave K in NB

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  09:45:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice indeed. I like how the backdrop looks good whatever the angle of the camera, I guess because there are no buildings to mess up the perspective and there is a patchwork of complex fields and pastures in the background.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000