Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

Genetk44
Section Hand

Posted - 08/12/2015 :  2:22:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kumar...thanks very much for the detailed explanation and pics showing your method for embedding the track...looks great...please keep the tutorial going. And thanks for the link to the Morningsun books page...great find...I just ordered 5 books from them!

Cheers
Gene

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/12/2015 :  2:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Genetk44

Kumar...thanks very much for the detailed explanation and pics showing your method for embedding the track...looks great...please keep the tutorial going. And thanks for the link to the Morningsun books page...great find...I just ordered 5 books from them!

Cheers
Gene

Thanks Rob and Gene,

More to come.

Gene, be careful, Morning Sun books become addictive!

http://thedepotonline.com/

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/22/2015 :  11:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not quite finished with my little 'sprucing up' project.

I decided I wanted to introduce a kind of sandy gravel color around the trackwork. I had to play around with materials trying to figure out which combination would result in something that looked like a sandy floor.

The above combinations from left to right are:

1. Grout on its own

2. Grout and sand mixed with Woodland Scenics Foam Putty

3. Sand mixed with powered glue

4. Sand mixed with Woodland Scenics Foam Putty

Number 2 worked best. It set hard but easy to sand and carve and also had a really nice grain color and texture.

After masking off sensitive areas I applied the putty/grout mixture.

Once dry I sanded it down. I accidentally chipped the concrete platform which is made from polystyrene.

The sand effect did not come through as strong as I hoped so I added a layer of sand with a Uhu base. I avoided using wood glue and water since it had previously discolored the sand. Uhu worked perfectly.

The sand color is perfect for the area. Not too dark or light.

A view of the whole working area. I have tried to apply each effect as a layer and will continue go back and add additional layers of sand, and dirt, vegetation. Ties get discolored during the process and I have to keep going back to recolor them. Luckily this just adds to their variety.

I went back and added a surround of dirt to act as an accent and boundary for the sand.

Then I added a new layer of grass and vegetation. Things are starting to come together at last.

Time to re-lay the track. Still plenty more to do though - including rewiring.

And then another layer of dirt this time around the track.

The area is drying right now. The coloring has become a little blotchy but will flatten as it dries. I definitely want a flat clean grey color for the sand and I may go back and even out the different shades. These are small details but make a big difference to the look of the area. Even though there will always be a prototype for any effect however ugly I think that the result still has to be pleasing to the eye.

Once dry I'll vacuum up the excess and continue adding layers of dirt, sand and vegetation in smaller and smaller increments. I'll then recolor the ties and paint the rails adding a slight rust color where necessary.

Hopefully I'll be finished this week.

Two days later:

The area has dried. I added a little rust to the rails and a few more tufts.

Edited by - kumard on 08/25/2015 9:25:57 PM

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/23/2015 :  04:14:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
exelent work i built also piktures on monday .

thanks for sharing

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2015 :  12:09:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's an interesting mix for the ground cover, Kumard.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/27/2015 :  2:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And....finished. I added back the details and adjusted the color of the sand. I also rusted up the rails a bit. I'll rewire on the weekend and also post some closeups of the track. The goal of the project was to capture the variety of detail in weathered and decaying track and I'm pleased with the result.

I'll post more soon.

Edited by - kumard on 08/27/2015 3:15:59 PM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/27/2015 :  3:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kumard, as always, very nice work! I do have a question thou. What is the purpose of the cut-out in the layout? It looks like that would have been a nice spot for some additional scenery or a grove a tree or some bushes. Take care, Rob.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/27/2015 :  3:49:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robchant

Hi Kumard, as always, very nice work! I do have a question thou. What is the purpose of the cut-out in the layout? It looks like that would have been a nice spot for some additional scenery or a grove a tree or some bushes. Take care, Rob.

Thanks all.

Rob,

The cutout was purely an aesthetic decision. I like track featured close to baseboard edges and I also wanted the cutout curve to echo the curvature of the track. The idea came from a couple of layouts featured on Carl Arendt's Micro Layouts website.

Edited by - kumard on 08/29/2015 02:04:27 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/27/2015 :  5:34:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Kumard!

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/27/2015 :  9:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nicely done. Realistic track is a real treat for the eye. Doc Tom

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/29/2015 :  03:44:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kumard, really enjoying your progress, and thanks for going to all the trouble of posting a lot of photos.
I'll be getting back to doing scenery soon, so all your info will be a big help.

I like that you've kept all the colouring muted and natural.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/30/2015 :  3:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Robert, Tom, Tyson, Robert, Frank and George. It's great to get some encouragement and feedback after working in isolation for so long.

Closing out this little project, here are a few more pictures and thoughts on the matter of landscaping track.

One of the advantages of working with a small model is the ability to 'go deep' i.e. spend a lot of time on the finer details. Landscaping trackwork to fit the landscape, the weather, or to reflect the history of the railroad at a certain time is possible on these small layouts and this was definitely a goal when I started the project. As such I tried to give each stretch of track a personality and one that tells a story about its past and current use.

Here are some pictures and the story of each stretch of track - some are going to get further work done on them since they were my 'first pass' over the area:

The track leading to the concrete platform. The platform was in the past used to load ballast or sand from the local quarry (long closed) and some has spilled out around and over the track. Ties are about 60 years old and have been neglected. These are the final years of LCL freight and there has been no desire to spend money on trackwork for sometime. The fact that there is water nearby (the pond) possibly is the reason that the ground has sunk beneath the ties in this spot. Here's a final overall view of the track before looking at other stretches:

Note the sand in the track on the left. Vegetation has started to grow through the sand. In other areas dirt has fast overtaken ballast. I'm not finished with the sandy edge. I want it smoother - more sandy - than it currently appears.

The track leading to the freight house. The track is better maintained probably because it gets more use than the concrete platform. Nevertheless weather, age, and neglect have conspired to wear the track down and the ties have sunk into the ground. I will at some point try to model ties almost completely covered by earth so that you only see the tops of the rails.

The track leading to the milk platform. Despite the fact that there are milk containers on the platform it's been many a year since the platform has been used for milk deliveries. The railroad will occasionally store cars on the track but other than that it is largely unused by this time. The overgrown and neglected appearance tells the story.

The mainline. This is the best maintained track on the layout and reflects its importance to the railroad. Actually it's probably too well maintained for the story of a soon-to-be abandoned branch line. If you look at pictures of real branch lines nearing closure (such as the CNW branch to Winner SD in the 70s) the track is often overgrown with a very restricted speed limit. Nevertheless this one is in good condition: no weeds or earth encroaching and a minimal amount of maintenance using local stone and dirt for ballast.

The team track leading to the grain store spur. Once again quite neglected. The grain store probably pays something towards the track's maintenance but going by look of the old and neglected grain installation there isn't much money available to spend. Earth from the slight embankment alongside the track has after many seasons of rain encroached the trackbed and in some instances has covered the ties. Vegetation has taken hold and probably the trackbed gets a weed-spraying every two or three years. However we are clearly in-between weed-spraying years.

The end of the team track. By this point nature has almost completely taken over and completely covers the track. Again with joint ownership (railway and grain installation) and lack of funds from both, the maintenance has become almost nonexistent. Btw I want to redo this track. I will tell the same story but will be using my new and improved modelling skills to enhance the colors and contrast. The colors have become very flat.

The main crossing. This combines all the stories in one place. I'm working on this area this week trying to enhance the colors and texture. Maybe I will add some oil stains on the ties showing spillage from diesel engines but overall I'm pleased with the result.

The grain spur. The concrete hides some of the lack of attention and funds available for maintenance but clearly it seems to be losing the battle against nature. The grain installation will probably close along with the railroad in a couple of years. This was my first attempt at a concrete floor and I think that it came out a little cartoony. I've seen so many great examples of concrete modeling that I'm keen to try my hand at it again soon.

The yard limit track leading off to the distance.. The water tower is in pretty good condition considering that its been several years since steam last visited the line. This track is on my hit list for this week to try to enhance the colors. I may darken the track here and add remnants of coal or oil to reflect its past use in the steam years.

Well that's it for the stories about the track. I'm continuing to upgrade the look of all the areas on the layout and will post more as that happens. I'm working on the new backdrop today and will post progress on that this week.

Edited by - kumard on 09/02/2015 12:25:31 AM

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/30/2015 :  4:38:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a fascinating story about the history of neglected and poorly maintained track. You did a great job modeling the passage of time and mother nature's constant reclamation of man's creations.

Doc Tom

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2015 :  5:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kumard, even more great modeling and your back story adds much depth to both the track work and the layout. What are your plans for the layout once it is "finished"? Is it a part of a bigger layout you're building? I would love to see how it fits into your plans. Take care, Rob.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2015 :  5:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a nice little layout, Kumard. I like the way you've thought out each section of track and given it a rational scenicing - very convincing.

George

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000