Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 96 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: Movidium ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/07/2015 :  12:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Even though I'm probably going to replace this image next month I wanted to still work with it as a learning experience. I'm going matte down the image with clear spray matte paint and make cuts where necessary to allow the image to sit better on the background.

Getting ready for matte paint spraying. I will move it outside and wear a face mask while spraying it down

There are small areas here and there that need clipping and taping down.

http://thedepotonline.com/

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/07/2015 :  1:14:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Very interesting information on hand laying, Kumard. I've messed around building turnouts with clad ties using Fast Tracks printed templates. I haven't yet put any on a layout though.

I like the results you get using the Woodland Scenics foam putty - very realistic. Like James, I've never heard of the stuff before. I gotta check it out.

George

George,

Foam putty is my favorite modelling material and is used throughout the layout in various capacities. You can dilute it, mix it with other materials, shape it easily and clean it up afterwards very quickly. It dries to a nice not-too-hard consistency which can then be easily carved or sanded. I highly recommend it.

I used it for road surfaces, building surfaces, landscape, tie ground profiling and in several other areas.

Edited by - kumard on 08/07/2015 1:17:35 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2015 :  5:06:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'll be looking for it on my next trip to the hobby shop.

George

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2015 :  7:47:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm, sounds a lot like spackle.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/08/2015 :  2:52:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Similar but definitely lighter, more 'foamy', and easier to work with. Sometimes though you may need something tougher and spackle would be the right choice.

Edited by - kumard on 08/08/2015 2:53:20 PM

Genetk44
Section Hand

Posted - 08/08/2015 :  3:19:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just found this topic. Still reading through it. I must say Kumard that your modelling and scenery work are top-notch and I love the curvy flowing lines of the layout. Iain Rice work is one of my big influences too. I look forward to following your progress.
Cheers
Gene

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  07:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the cost on it Kumar?

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  2:08:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

What's the cost on it Kumar?

Tyson the cost is around $6-10 depending on where you get. It's mostly found at the $10 price. You can buy it on Amazon, or Ebay, or one of the many suppliers online. I'm currently using it while I rework one of the sidings. I'll post pictures of the process this week.

http://www.amazon.com/Woodland-Scenics-1447-Foam-Putty/dp/B0006NARV8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439143570&sr=8-1&keywords=woodland+scenics+putty

Edited by - kumard on 08/09/2015 9:17:04 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  2:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Genetk44

Just found this topic. Still reading through it. I must say Kumard that your modelling and scenery work are top-notch and I love the curvy flowing lines of the layout. Iain Rice work is one of my big influences too. I look forward to following your progress.
Cheers
Gene

Thanks Gene.

The curves were an important Iain Rice feature that I wanted to experiment with. I'm glad to see another 'Ricean' on the forum.

More to come: I'm reworking half-finished areas, I hope to upgrade buildings at some point but will next be painting and weathering the Soo Line rolling stock.

I want to be finished with this project in order to start my next but will periodically come back to it to upgrade various areas as my modelling skills improve.

Edited by - kumard on 08/09/2015 9:26:59 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  5:17:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The layout was inspired by a picture of a lonely outpost called 'Wall' somewhere on the Chicago and North Western Railroad. There is something about those depots - stuck in the middle of nowhere - that greatly appeals to me.

I found the picture of Wall in the Morning Sun book: The Chicago and North Western Railroad Vol. 1.

Here are some of the books I used for research.

Having good color books for research was very helpful when figuring out colors of landscapes and buildings and trackwork. Morning Sun Publications have a great selection and I'm constantly adding to my own collection (http://morningsunbooks.com/collections/all-hardcover).

Edited by - kumard on 08/09/2015 5:17:41 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  9:15:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kumar, at that price I'll stick with the lightweight spackle. I don't understand how their product can be more lightweight than the spackle being as the container is heavier than the spackle.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  9:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW nice library!

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  9:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Thanks Kumar, at that price I'll stick with the lightweight spackle. I don't understand how their product can be more lightweight than the spackle being as the container is heavier than the spackle.

You know what - I think you made a very good point. I'll do some more research and purchase some spackle to compare.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/12/2015 :  12:54:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Over the weekend I worked on some of the areas that needed redoing. One of those areas was the front siding leading to the concrete platform. Somewhere in the world there is a probably a prototype that it matches but in my opinion the trackbed looked boring.

This trackbed was an experiment using a different material from the rest of the layout. However it looked wrong since the colors didn't match and there was too little variety and texture.

Since it was located at the front of the layout I felt that it needed more color, texture, variety and definition.

The area marked by pins is about to undergo a complete makeover.

What is interesting with these overgrown stretches of track is the amount of change that occurs over a short distance. The ground cover, the vegetation, and the ground profile can change from tie to tie quite considerably. I want to capture that variety. Although this picture shows some tie and ground variation, I'm mostly interested in the colors. It is a useful color reference for the work I'm about to do.

Preparation

Like a doctor performing an operation I covered the surrounding areas to reduce dust. I also pulled the rails apart to give me better access to the whole area.

I scraped away the original ground around each tie. It took no more than 20 mins.

Some ties came unstuck so I re-glued them with white glue.

Ground Profile

Then I covered the area within ties, around the ties and on top of the ties with Woodland Scenic's Foam Putty. Ties can be recolored later and also can be scraped so I wasn't worried about covering them temporarily.

I then used my weathering pen, fingers and other implements to carve out the ground profile around and between the ties.

The resulting profile shows ties partially buried between the rails and outside the rails just like the real thing.

Coloring and ground cover

I added ground cover: powdered mud, colorings and colored gravel/stone from Arizona Rocks and Minerals and used wood glue and water to secure.

This is the result. It needs more work but has colored the area nicely. I will add more textures (gravel, stones and dirt) later.

Grass tufts

I started to add grass tufts. I may do this several times. This is just the first pass.

And here are the finished tufts. I used fingers dipped in dark chalks to color the ties where necessary just to make them more noticeable and give them more contrast and definition. It's a small detail but really helps the look of the area.

Next

I'll be relaying the track today and then adding another layer of stones and dust using UHU glue which is perfect for light layers.

Edited by - kumard on 08/23/2015 03:27:28 AM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/12/2015 :  1:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kumard,

Your work and attention to details is quite inspiring. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Take care,
Rob.

Edited by - robchant on 08/12/2015 1:40:40 PM

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000