Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 247 ]  [ Total: 254 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  12:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow.

Thank you all for your amazing comments. It really does mean a lot to me to get great feedback from my peers. Posting for the group has been an essential part of my modeling activities over the last couple of years, as it has kept me on my modeling toes, given me inspiration and allowed me to participate in the wonderful community of world class (and world wide) modelers.

Thank you all.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  12:13:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very, very nicely done indeed. Congratulations!

Pete
in Michigan

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  8:43:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it looks great! Nice work.

Joe <><

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  09:43:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally got a chance to read through this thread again and I can see what all the commotion is about! Very nice modeling!
Rich

Tim Hebert
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  11:06:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kumard, apologies if you had already stated in your thread, but how did you come up with your track plan? I've recently started a 1 x 3 N scale switching layout based on an Iain Rice plan "Yard" and see some similarities. Track plans always provide a certain degree of fascination with me. As I stated in a previous post, excellent and inspiring work on your part.

Tim

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  12:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks again all.

I've a whole lot of interest from around the world with this diorama: 3000 views or so in a week and plenty of interest from elsewhere - very surprising and very humbling. Without admitting that this is in anyway a good piece of work (I'm not that big headed) if I can inspire others to 'have a go' then that's good enough for me. I enjoy seeing the great work of others. I was inspired by great modelers myself such as Carl Arendt to get started and I've had enormous fun since.

Tim >> if you had already stated in your thread, but how did you come up with your track plan? >> Iain Rice was my go-to track plan guy. Very unconventional and quite artistic compared to most. Not everybody's cup of tea. But then he's my model railway hero so there!

I started with a town plan of his and then, as I was a beginner, I lost confidence in my ability to scratch-build the necessary town buildings. Therefore I simplified the plan it and moved it to the country. The plan came from page 29 of his book "Small Smart and Practical Track Plans" - the industrial switching plan. I took the swaying motion of the track, turned it into a through line (trains coming in from both ends), added features that I've always loved from railways such as a road alongside a track and then added buildings I thought I could build. It ended up as nothing like his plan. The key is swaying motion of the track. He was the first modeler that I know of that spoke about trains on curves - that there is something very photogenic and aesthetically pleasing about that feature and so that is something I wanted to explore.

Iain Rice also promoted the idea that we not just treat the small model railway as a simply a model or toy or an operational entity but also as a piece of art with composition and atmosphere. Carl Arendt (the godfather of the micro?) was another proponent of that: I don't know if he ever stated it as such but micros demand alot of the features of say a painting.

The biggest influence on The Depot was a British layout called Llanastr - not called a micro at the time but certainly an influence on the small layout movement. For both myself and other modelers, it was one of the first layouts to prove that small layouts could be seen as an art form with atmosphere and composition and as an entity that could say alot in a small space. I wanted to explore those things with The Depot.

Llanastr:

The Depot

Not great pics actually but the best I could find. Llanastr is still on the exhibition circuit even after over twenty years: https://www.scalefour.org/layouts/exhibllanastr.html#row2

Sorry for the convoluted answer (I'm a natural over-thinker) but that really sums it up.

Thanks for your interest.

Edited by - kumard on 09/29/2017 12:41:34 PM

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  3:37:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kumard, Please let me say it for you. Your modeling is superb, and an inspiration to thousands.
ed

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  7:38:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ed.

I was trying to find an old image that illustrated the curves. I came up with this image. Not quite fully illustrative of the curves concept but you get the general idea. The layout is looking very dry these days and I'm itching to get back to it to start a general upgrade based on my improved modeling skills. No time right now though.

Edited by - kumard on 09/29/2017 10:57:31 PM

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  9:51:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Error. Sorry. Tom

Edited by - Grabnet on 09/29/2017 9:53:35 PM

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  9:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I enjoyed your philosophy of model RR layout design. Ian Rice and Carl Arendt are two of my heroes too.

I was thrilled when Carl put my little Haitian Sugar train on his website.

Doc Tom

Edited by - Grabnet on 09/29/2017 9:56:17 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  10:34:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom >> I was thrilled when Carl put my little Haitian Sugar train on his website. >> I'm not surprised Tom. Your layout is the very definition of a 'work of art' that I've much admired over the last couple of years.

It is difficult to convey the impact that Iain Rice had on the modeling in the UK (especially in the USA where he is less known). Along with the rise of Wild Swan publishing, Iain and some of his contemporaries such as Bob Barlow and Barry Norman were part of the finescale revolution in UK modeling leading to very high standards in all areas of the hobby - handlaid trackwork, locomotive scratchbuilding, structures, and landscaping. They helped move the hobby firmly away from its toy train origins and closer to the realm of mini-engineering. But unlike his peers Iain Rice introduced what another modeler called 'heart' (or even just 'art') into the the finescale movement whereby models would move you in the way that your favorite paintings might move you. It was not just his writing but his own pioneering layouts (along with many others in the late 70s and 80s) that led the way. The new generation of modelers - even if they don't model finescale - seem to have picked up the baton from Iain and his contemporaries are currently producing some of the most moving layouts I've ever seen (Chris Nevard and Gordon Gravett in the UK are just a couple of examples).

Trerice by Iain Rice. A minimum space depiction of a Cornish clay drying facility. More like a painting than a model.

Edited by - kumard on 09/30/2017 12:23:36 PM

Tim Hebert
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  12:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kumard: Thanks kindly for your input. I too was inspired by Carl's website some two years ago and always by Rice's approach to layout planning in a small place.

Tom: I distinctly remember your little layout and was thrilled with your work. I'll put my little pike up for all to see soon. It will pale by everyone's great works, but sometimes little layouts such as mine require the "spring rains" of inspiration to flourish and grow.

Tim

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  09:10:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After I complete my 2nd mini project I will be set to build the On30 layout of the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina that Ian Rice drew up a plan for.

It is in his book about shelf layouts. I am not that good at drawing up RR plans and will gladly use the work of art that he designed for the book. I love his illustrations of the layouts as well. You can almost picture them in 3D just from the drawings alone. A very creative guy!!! Doc Tom

Edited by - Grabnet on 09/30/2017 09:16:23 AM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  1:00:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim >> Good luck with your N scale layout!

Tom >> After I complete my 2nd mini project I will be set to build the On30 layout of the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina that Ian Rice drew up a plan for. >> The Tweetsie! Great choice. I have a book by Mallory Hope Ferrell on that little railroad; unread as yet but hopefully soon.

Tom >> It is in his [Iain Rice] book about shelf layouts. I am not that good at drawing up RR plans and will gladly use the work of art that he designed for the book. I love his illustrations of the layouts as well. >>
Yes Iain is a fine fine-artist and that definitely comes through in his drawings and general artwork. His drawings can be very helpful in picturing the result though some of his clearances and build-ability of his trackwork might seem a little optimistic to some.

Taking further my ideas on art and model railways I'm thinking of basing either a micro or diorama (still within the same branch) on this photo by Joel Sternfeld:

No more summertime, this time firmly set in winter but I'm not sure how I would use it: shall it be a background or should I build a mini/micro/diorama (i.e. in 3D) and add a couple of sections of track and a turnout? Plenty of time to think about since I can't do anything now till next year.

Here's food for thought. This is a layout called Horselunges - and it represents the next generation's version of an Iain Rice layout - a combination of painting, stage design and superb model railwaying:

Edited by - kumard on 09/30/2017 1:24:24 PM

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  1:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Cornish clay drying facility is a picture! You are not fooling me. Okay, okay, I believe you (no I don't). I give in, I know you would not try and fool me. Or would you?
Incredible modeling. If that does not inspire, than check your pulse.
ed

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000