Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 132 ]  [ Total: 137 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  12:45:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Btw I'm trying to get this project finished so I can start my weathering and detailing project - hopefully I'll get the creek done this week and then edits to the backdrop.

Anyone who wants to follow the project from the start (away from this thread) can go here: http://thedepotonline.com/currentprojects/the-trestle/

I'm away cycling on the Fernley and Lassen railroad in Susanville CA next weekend but hopefully I can be done with this project within a couple of weeks. I'll post about my trip on the blog.

http://thedepotonline.com/

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  1:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good! Personally I didn't have a problem with the red door, I thought it lead your eye thru the scene, as all elements should. I think the Santa Fe car does even a better job. My eyes travels up the west fence, across the string of cars, down the east embankment, then up the road. Although I think the colours look perfect, I would also like to see what this looks like under sun light.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  1:21:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your intent is to draw viewers into the center of the scene, you might consider replacing the green truck with a red one, headed toward the viewer and slightly closer to the front edge of the diorama. That should automatically draw folks into the center of the scene....

Lots of boxcar red on the trestle is good, but the truck will get the attention first.

The tree is a nice touch, too....

Pete
in Michigan

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  2:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob >> Although I think the colours look perfect, I would also like to see what this looks like under sun light. >> I'll take it out in the sunlight once I've finished. Should be very interesting. I've never done that before with any models.

Pete >> Lots of boxcar red on the trestle is good, but the truck will get the attention first. >> Thanks Pete. That's a placeholder truck. The final truck will arrive later this week and let's see how it looks after weathering. And yes I'll move it forward. If this color doesn't work, I'll try a red one.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  4:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kumard

Pete >> Lots of boxcar red on the trestle is good, but the truck will get the attention first. >> Thanks Pete. That's a placeholder truck. The final truck will arrive later this week and let's see how it looks after weathering. And yes I'll move it forward. If this color doesn't work, I'll try a red one.

I recommended red only because the green blends with the scenery and red gets attention. The important part here, though, is to have the truck "coming at" the viewer. If the truck is going away, it can still be red and folks won't see it. Coming at you, though, is a whole 'nother matter.... Experiment with folks and see for yourself!

Pete
in Michigan

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  5:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's all good.
ed

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  01:24:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

Creek bed almost done.

Iíve spent the last couple of weeks detailing out the creek bed. Itís a process of layering primarily. I added one class of vegetation (such as grass tufts) each evening and then saw how that looked before continuing with a different class of vegetation (such as flowers). Things are slowly coming together. Iím not sure now if I need to keep working at it. Iím just about ready to add water. While I wait for the Woodland Scenics water to arrive Iíve been working on small details elsewhere Ė adding a vine to the trestle and flowers here and there. I may still add a fence to the east side to balance things out a little. Iíll do that over the weekend.

More details have been added such as a fallen trestle leg, more flowers, plants, grass etc. I could keep going but donít want to crowd out the area.

I detailed the creek bed to the back. I may still add small details here and there but it is now ready for me to add water.

Not sure about the vines but Iíll probably keep them.

I have a small truck to add to the road. Iíll weather it this weekend.

I will add another fence over on the east (right) side to balance things out. That side was my first attempt at scenery and sort of lacks a focus and definition. The fence might help.

Hopefully I'll be done this weekend.

Thanks all.

Edited by - kumard on 09/15/2017 01:35:45 AM

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/16/2017 :  07:48:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nicely done. I am looking forward to how you create water effects. In a few months that is the next step on my mini layout. looking forward to learning a few tricks.

Doc Tom

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2017 :  11:43:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh man! Beautiful.
ed

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2017 :  08:41:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice!

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  12:26:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all.

Just wrapping up a few small details. The water is curing right now but should be crystal clear by tomorrow. I'll do a full post on the final steps in the next day or so including how I did the water.

Next post in a couple of days once I've tidied up a few items.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/19/2017 :  11:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all. Second to last post on the diorama.

Adding Water

Having finished detailing the creek bed it was time to add water. I felt that I had added enough plants to create a somewhat realistic scene. The scene looked flat here but I hoped by adding the water the area would begin to sparkle.

The creek bed was designed to have sandy banks with a darker center for the (fake) water.

There are many methods for creating water but the two products that I wanted to try out were Woodland Scenics Realistic Water and Gloss Mod Podge. †Both had been recommended and I watched a couple of videos by other modelers as they built their own water scenes. The main difference between the two is simply consistency. The Realistic Water is much more runny than Mod Podge and is ideal for smooth surface water and deep water scenes. The Mod Podge is thicker but more easily manipulated and can be gently sculpted to create an impression of running water. I tested both on my scenery scratch pads and immediately was drawn to the Mod Podge. I just really felt at ease using it for this project.

Both products did a fine job of producing convincing water. In the end I felt more comfortable using the Mod Podge as it was just that little bit thicker and easier to produce a running water effect.

Using an eye dropper I added the Mod Podge bit by bit and used a small toothpick to move it into the various cracks and gaps. You can add as many layers as you like until you have the effect you want.

It took about 8 hours for the majority of the Mod Podge to set. The final part near the front took about two days to clear.

Once dried, the Mod Podge hardened to a clear and very realistic gloss finish that complimented and illuminated the creek bed.

A gentle meandering stream in summer but seasonal rains can turn it into a raging torrent of water. Bridge repairs have been carried out over the years and a couple of old piles have been left in the creek bed by work crews. One of the piles is used by hikers to cross the creek.

I have one more post on this project which I will upload tomorrow.

Thanks all.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2017 :  07:56:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good looking stream, very convincing.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2017 :  08:07:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar,

Very realistic watery wet look. You achieved an effective color gradient from shallow to deeper.

There's a bottle of Mod Podge knocking around our club so I think it's time I give it a try. Thanks for the demo.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 09/20/2017 08:09:23 AM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2017 :  08:36:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nothing like spring in the mountains to see all the flowers in bloom.

Fantastic looking scene, well done Kumar.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 09/20/2017 08:38:12 AM

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000