Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/20/2017 :  12:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ed and desilets. I definitely have a list of details still to be added on the east side of the trestle. Once those details have been added I'll consider that side finished. Nearly there.

Thanks for your comments.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2017 :  11:58:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice bit of gardening you have there.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/30/2017 :  11:52:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank >> Nice bit of gardening you have there. >> Thanks Frank. It does look a bit like a garden doesn't it? Maybe I'll add a grizzly bear or something!

Hi all.

Been away for three weeks in Europe and only managed to get back to some modeling this weekend. It took a little while for my modeling mojo to return but it is now back and I'm getting back up to speed.

I worked on the diorama this weekend. This is a very in-between view of where I'm at and even as I write I've made more progress. I worked on the west back corner. I used the same techniques from the east side to do the grass and the brambles. Things are looking a bit rough but over the next week or some I'll fine tune the vegetation and it should start look more natural and vibrant (it's a bit flat right now). My only thought right now is that things are looking very green and there is not much variation in color. I'll fix that by adding plants and more colored vegetation.

In order to add layers of vegetation or rock or stone I have to set the diorama on it's edge but it's nice to be reminded that I have just one corner left to do.

Things are looking a little flat over here. I'll spend the week tweaking the brambles and bushes and will try to add more plants and more color.

Not quite ready to tackle the creek bed but once the west front side is done I'll be able to really get to it. The blue river at the back is going to be removed in favor of something that will fit the scene better.

I'm still working on the other side. I'm building a fence this week to run alongside the road. Nothing to show yet but I'll post something on that next week.

More next week. Thanks all!

Edited by - kumard on 07/31/2017 12:10:19 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2017 :  08:27:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2017 :  09:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the overhead view, and agree -removing the blue river will make that more harmonious with the rest of the scene. it's looking really good.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 07/31/2017 09:31:28 AM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2017 :  11:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

ted :<)

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  07:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW. Looks great. First "in the round" diorama I have seen. Very effective.

Doc Tom

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  1:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You and the Frenchman RodertG (see Brett's SWMW forum) are taking landscaping to a new level.
ed

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  2:46:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for the nice comments.

It's taken a while to get to this point and there is still quite a way to go but I've learned alot about scenery in the process. Dioramas are a low cost way to practice skills away from the main layout and I hope to put what I've learned to use on the remaining modules for The Depot.

In the meantime I finished the fence. I was going to save these images for a Sunday night post but what the hell here are some pics of the east side as it stands:

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  2:48:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed k

You and the Frenchman RodertG (see Brett's SWMW forum) are taking landscaping to a new level.
ed

Can you post a link to that work? TY!

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  4:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to www.sierrawestscalemodels.com
Great site, as is this one.
ed

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  5:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ed.

http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/853/mother-nature

Outstanding work! Very inspirational. He has an incredible eye for detail and color. I'm still too cautious with color but these images have inspired me to take more chances.

Thanks for that info.

Bty way my landscape modelling inspiration so far has been Gordon Gravett who lives on a modeling planet of his own. His books have been a constant companion to my modeling for several years now. Many consider his Pempoul to be one of the finest layouts of all time: http://www.michelle.lu/pempoul.html

Edited by - kumard on 08/04/2017 5:04:48 PM

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  5:32:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kumar, Have you checked out his structures?
They are equal. You have to search under the forum a bit. If you want I can supply the titles.
ed

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  5:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kumar, Your opinion of Gordon Gravett is well founded.
ed

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/24/2017 :  12:40:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

Quick update to show you the west side. It is now finished. No doubt I'll keep tweaking it by adding flowers and colors but for now enough is done for me to really focus on the creek bed.

I wanted to add a scree. A real scree of course will have formed out of broken rocks from a rock face located above the scree. The embankment has no such source of rocks so I created a story of an earth slippage caused by rain that created a scar in the soil. Once that was in place I just added the vegetation around.

By now I actually have bunch of techniques at my service so I had much more control over how this side came together. As such it looks more realistic and there is a clear story being told about the trestle and embankment. I'm very pleased with it and feel ready to move on. My only small complaint is that there is not enough range in color ie too much green but I'll need to experiment more at a later date with a wider range of colors before applying more color to future models.

Thanks all. I'll have progress on the creek bed next week.

Edited by - kumard on 08/24/2017 10:21:43 AM

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000