Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 81 ]  [ Total: 86 ]  [ Newest Member: RocknTommy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  09:19:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really shows you're spending the time to get the scenery right.

Frank

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  3:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kumard, All the layering of vegetation is really looking good. Great attention to details as always.

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  3:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks great, thanks for sharing

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  7:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kumard, The Matt spray fixative is a great idea', I never though to try that, with landscaping materials. Your project looks excellent'..

ted :<)

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  9:44:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George D >> Kumard, I've been experimenting with static grass and your tutorial is very informative. I like the way you mixed different textures of vegetation. >> Thanks George. BTW I'm doing a lot of small isolated tests on static grass away from the diorama. As well as testing static grass methods by Gordon Gravett and Kathy Millat I'm also trying work out some of my own and I will publish the results on my blog (and maybe here too) once I've made some progress. I find practice is the key to good grass results. I'm not entirely happy with the colors on the diorama: as previously mentioned though they are natural they are also a bit dull. But I'm glad that the issue forced me to spread my wings and search for something better. As such I'm now very excited by the possibilities of the Noch grass.

Frank >> Really shows you're spending the time to get the scenery right. >> Thanks Frank. It's been a bit of a slog trying to figure it out. I only touched on scenery on The Depot and didn't give it much 'deep' thought. However the diorama has really forced me to pay attention to the world around me but the more I looked the more I have felt overwhelmed by the endless possibilities of nature. I can only hope to model a small set of features but moving forward I really would like to try to capture more the natural world in miniature form. The diorama has been a real training ground for that.

Bill Gill >> kumard, All the layering of vegetation is really looking good. Great attention to details as always. >> Thanks Bill. Working on something small has been the key to detailing. It's one of the reasons I like small layouts. You can really dig deep. I have still much more detail to add the diorama such as flowers, fences, signs, people, vehicles, track etc.

Frank The Cowboybilly >> looks great, thanks for sharing >> You bet. Glad you like it.

quartergauger48 >> The Matt spray fixative is a great idea', I never though to try that, with landscaping materials. Your project looks excellent' >> Thanks Ted. Actually that's another Gordon Gravett tip (https://www.amazon.com/Modelling-Grassland-Landscape-Detailing-Wildflowers/dp/190876306X). One of the difficulties of working with static grass is that it is not easy to build layers on top. Some manufacturers have produced something called 'layering spray'. But actually the matte spray works just as well. It has a light hold and is perfect for leaves and flock and other layers of grass. However for sticking materials firmly on top of static grass (such as my 'brambles') you must use the spray glue. It is the only glue (out of four or five others I tried) that provides an excellent hold for that first layer. You have to use a mask otherwise the glue sprays everywhere.

Thanks all. More in a couple of weeks.

http://thedepotonline.com/

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/17/2017 :  3:23:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

I've been quietly plugging away at the diorama while track-laying on The Town. I try to do at least 20 mins in the evening and add some small detail during that time: a flower here, a bush there etc.

I kept staring at the above scene of the east bank of the trestle I and kept coming to the conclusion that I wasn't happy with it. The hardest part is that didn't know why. It should have worked. It ticked all the boxes: it had a mix of textures, materials, and colors; it avoided too great contrasts; I think it did a reasonable job of reflecting the real world while avoiding impressionism; and it told a little bit of the story of the construction of the trestle. Yet I kept looking at the scene and kept finding it really uninteresting. I won't bore everyone here with all my ruminations since I went into this issue more on my blog (http://thedepotonline.com/all/scene-composition/).

After a few weeks of tweaking the vegetation here is the east side as it stands. I'm going to hold here for the moment while I work on the other side. I need to add more greenery and cut the grass a little (it's looking a little too 'hairy'). The positioning of the various elements (grass, flowers, long grass, bushes) also looks too contrived. It may work in the long run but I'll revisit this later in the project and may rearrange some of the vegetation to create a more natural wilder look.

Thanks all.

Edited by - kumard on 06/19/2017 12:35:09 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/17/2017 :  11:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kumar, you are over thinking and analyzing too much'...It looks absolutely realistic and perfect'....Really'...perfect'..

ted :<)

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 06/17/2017 :  11:50:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ted,
I am glad you said it first.
I also see exceptional modeling.
ed

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/18/2017 :  05:56:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is awesome, I don't know how you could make it anymore realistic.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/19/2017 :  12:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted, Ed, Mike >> Kumar, you are over thinking and analyzing too much'...It looks absolutely realistic and perfect'....Really'...perfect' >> Thanks all. I needed that second opinion. I can't tell any more whether it looks ok or not so I'm glad you like it so far - and yes I have a tendency to 'overthink' things and give myself a headache in the process!

I'll come back to this side later this week and finish up the right hand creek bank. I'll be working on the creek last of all.

In the meantime I've now started working on the other side. I'll post some more when I have something in good shape to show.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by - kumard on 06/19/2017 12:37:09 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2017 :  3:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar,

Your scenery strikes me as very realistic. Landforms look like they preceded the track and were modified with construction of the railroad.

I guess judging the interestingness of your scene depends on the impact it has on the photos you take. Wasn't that the intent?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/19/2017 :  3:17:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"I guess judging the interestingness of your scene depends on the impact it has on the photos you take. Wasn't that the intent?" >> Thanks Mike, yes this is a photo box so how the scene looks in photos is crucial.

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2017 :  7:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I derive great joy looking at your work. If it is not the best I have have seen, than I must have blinked when something better passed my eyes. Thank you for sharing. I intend to do the impossible, and come close.
ed

desilets
New Hire

Posted - 06/19/2017 :  9:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the secrets of creating art, which your work is, is to known when to stop.

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2017 :  11:49:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing is no two people stop at the same time. You become that good by always reaching further. You also believe you can do even better. This leaves you to decide if it is worth spending three more hours for a one percent improvement? Most would think not. I will let the modeler decide.
I will continue to be grateful and look forward to being inspired.
ed

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000