Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 245 ]  [ Total: 252 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  12:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all.

I'm spending each day adding some feature and then standing back to decide if it 'works' or not. I'm trying to find that balance between representing the real world and having an artistic vision. I guess all modelers work somewhere within that range.

Here's some grass on the road. its needs a little more work but it looks good to me for the moment. I'm using the road next to my house as my guide and as you can see there are plenty more details to add to it.

I don't yet have a 'method' for all this work as it's all very new to me. As a result I'm going slowly and carefully and I'm trying to experiment off the diorama as much as possible. To help me I built this scenery scratch pad:

I've able to figure out stuff and make mistakes off the diorama. In fact it's been so useful that I've made three more scratchpads for further experimentation.

The purpose of the photo diorama is to display weathered and detailed models. The image below shows my first ever attempt at painting and detailing a locomotive. As you can see there is no hiding from mistakes or poor workmanship! Actually I was, and continue to be, very happy with this locomotive but hope to do better job weathering and detailing moving forward.

Anyhow thanks for the feedback. I'll post more progress in a couple of weeks. I'm back working on The Town this week which has been on hold while I wait for supplies.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Edited by - kumard on 04/05/2017 2:15:39 PM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/14/2017 :  08:54:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kumar,

I think your scenery scratch pad is an excellent idea, and so much that I am going to do something similar as scenery is a downfall for me, being that I haven't done much with it. You make this area of modeling look simple and your scenery is outstanding. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Rich

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/14/2017 :  11:45:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rich,

The scratch pads have been a great help. I'm not experienced with scenery and have to carefully make my way through the process to try to do a good job. The pads have reduced the amount of stress involved in trying out new techniques. I think 'progress' in this hobby really means 'practice' in this hobby and these pads allow me to practice away!

The diorama is on hold right now while I continue tracklaying on The Town. I'll be posting more on this in a couple more weeks.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/14/2017 :  12:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Kumar,

Congrats on the new website, it looks great!

Take care,
Rob.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/14/2017 :  12:23:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob,

Yes the new website is a quiet launch. I'm still filling it with content much of it gathered from this thread. If anyone wants to see what a half-Irishman half-Indianman looks like then I've posted a picture of myself with my daughter! I'm still going to be posting here on this thread but it will be the usual long summaries at the end of stages of work. If anyone wants to follow the day-to-day progress and musings/ramblings then I'll be posting those on the blog.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/14/2017 :  12:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kumar,

Yes, I did find the photo, and it was nice to finally put a face with the name.

Take care,
Rob.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/30/2017 :  10:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

I've been taking a break from tracklaying and have been working on the diorama.

Since the diorama has to live on the bottom shelf of the module cabinet I thought I would start by testing the lighting. I still had only a rudimentary understanding of lighting - especially fluorescent lighting - so working on this brought me a little more up to speed. The bottom shelf will be lit in order to display the dioramas and eventually I'll have two 33 inch lights straddle the ceiling of the bottom shelf. Until then I bought a standalone light to sit above the diorama.

The next thing I wanted to examine was lighting color especially warm vs cool. The light came with two cool white lights. I swapped them to see what warmer lights would look like.

The warmer light is nice but too dark and too orange. I reverted back to the cool white bulbs and will add warmer colors using a spot light when I start taking photos of rolling stock.

I placed the diorama on the bottom shelf with the light. It's going to look really nice once the other dioramas are installed.

Ok onwards to the modeling. I'll admit the whole thing has been stressing me out. The hard part is not knowing what the goal is. I mean I have figured out the stream bed and the road, but there are infinite choices for landscaping the embankment sides. As there are no rocks I have really only grass and I suppose stones to place. I started working on it earlier this week and then stopped because I didn't know how to proceed. By yesterday I was ready to start again.

I decided that the embankment was mostly man-made and therefore the railroad engineers dumped a lot of rock and sand on the sides to build up and stabilize the run-up to the bridge. Therefore I went to my supplies of rock and sand and made up a mix that I thought would work. I paid attention to the colors and made sure that contrasts were kept down and the mix was kept within scale - the foreground has to match the background/backdrop.

I spread the mix over front top of the eastern side. My first thought was that it looked like someone had vomited over the diorama but soon after I felt that it looked pretty good with a variety of colors and nice mix of stones and small rocks. This is just the base for the grass so I won't look like this for long.

Next I added grass. The way to do it is to go slow and add very light colors first. I wanted to avoid a carpet of rich green grass and I wanted to be able to see the ground beneath. It is easier to add dark colors on top of light than the other way around. I made up a mix of dry grass and then once stuck down I added a second layer of slightly greener dry grass. I will eventually add dark patches of grass here and there but for now I want to keep the colors relatively flat and muted.

I experimented with 2mm dry grass on the back and it came out ok - not great. I added a second layer of greener grass and but this intermediate stage things still look a little rough. This work is just a base for additional landscaping. The banks need a lot more work and will eventually have plants, flowers, rocks etc to make them pop a bit.

I'm waiting for materials to finish the creek bed: I want to add reeds and variety of green grasses (and flowers and shrubs). I found this paint online that creates dry mud so I put a little dry mud patch in the river bed. I'm still fiddling around with the grass color. It initially came out too dark green but I added a second layer of lighter green and it started to look much better. I'll discuss the river bed another time.

Overall I'm trying to use natural materials as much as possible to finish the landscaping. I find that materials such as stones, sand, dust and bits of wood scale really well. They also retain a nice mix of colors and textures at HO scale. I haven't yet had to use paint yet but I'm not ruling it out for some finishing at the end of the project.

Thanks all. I'll post more next week.

Edited by - kumard on 04/30/2017 10:59:40 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  04:14:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking great Kumard!

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  05:52:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
will you the dioramen put some time together, or only to photograf itself ?

dwyaneward
New Hire

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  11:28:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit dwyaneward's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking great!

Texas & Pacific - Bonham Division in N Scale http://kdrail.blogspot.com/
TT Scale Modeling http://ttscalemodeling.blogspot.com

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  6:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like what I'm seeing.

Frank

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  9:37:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all.

Frank >> will you the dioramen put some time together, or only to photograf itself ? >> Not exactly sure of the question but I think you are wondering if the dioramas will be connected to the layout at any time. Yes that is always a possibility - I may connect them at a later date. I'm aiming for about six dioramas and four modules. If I ever get a larger space I'll join them all together and run the lot as a large layout. The nice thing about modules is that they can move with me - no need to tear down years of work.

Edited by - kumard on 05/01/2017 9:51:01 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  01:30:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. Here's an quick update on this project.

I've done the first pass over the east end (right hand side) of the diorama and added as much as I thought I needed in order to create a realistic scene. I'm happy with it so far. There are still more items to put into place but I'm going to take a two week break from the diorama to get back to the tracklaying on The Town. The last week has been an solid learning experience and I feel I've advanced as a modeler.

It took me a couple of attempts to get the grass looking the way I want. One of the issues I've been fighting is the grass color. As much as I like Silflor static grass (and it was used to perfect effect on The Depot) I really find the colors to be a little flat. I would have much preferred to used a brighter vivid green and after searching around I eventually found some wonderful static grass made by Noch. I only added the new Noch grass in a few small areas for the moment. However I'm really going to use the Noch grass around the river bed where water would make the grass brighter and vivid.

Sadly this photo doesn't do the colors justice - the Noch colors are much more vivid and rich in real life. The difference in color will be much more noticeable when I use the Noch grass for larger areas around the rest of the diorama. I'll still have to dampen the Noch colors down a little but over a larger area they should make the diorama a richer viewing experience.

Here's a clearer view of the east side:

1. I wanted to leave some of the rocky/stony base visible and expose the rocks and stones that were used to build the embankment that leads up to the bridge. The grass is also dryer on top from the effects of not much rain and exposure to the elements.

2. I'm not going to add too many plants. This one was created from Super Trees. They scale really well and have a lot of detail at this very small size. I might add more leaves but otherwise I think that's it for the trees on this side.

3. This is a flower and I'm going to add many more flowers and have them loosely dotted around the place. The tiny elements of color really help bring the scene to life. I just need to be careful to not over do it.

4. I don't know what these plants are called but I'm surrounded by them where I live. Brambles? I made them from a textured matt.

5. This is a Gordon Gravett tip: break up a continuous area (such the support timbers behind) wherever possible. I decided to add a small repair job to the retaining wall.

6. This area needs more vegetation but I want to leave the stones and rock exposed as much as possible to show off the colors, textures and variety of sizes. The stones have scaled really well and I don't want to hide them.

Here are some steps for making the 'brambles'.

Start with Creative Accents Textured Matt

Here is the result:

And so for the time being here are a couple of images. Plenty more to do but I'll come back to this side at a later date and add more plants and generally tidy things up.

Thanks all. More in a few weeks time. Back to tracklaying on The Town

Edited by - kumard on 05/11/2017 02:08:37 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  06:25:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  08:28:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kumard, I've been experimenting with static grass and your tutorial is very informative. I like the way you mixed different textures of vegetation.

George

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.95 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000