Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 80 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: RocknTommy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  1:37:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with George. This is the start of a rocky relationship!

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  2:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all. I'll try not to make a mountain out of a molehill.

I'll post again as soon as I have more progress.

http://thedepotonline.com/

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  10:51:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. Here's an quick update on this project.

I've had guests over the last week but now that they have departed I've been able to get back to this project.

Up till now I've been weighing things down using whatever I can lay my hands on around the workspace

I decided that I really needed proper weights. I researched online and discovered the perfect solution in the form of calibration weights. The blue sets go from 10g up to 500g. Each blue set is $20 and I bought two. I also bought two additional 1kg weights.

The ability to select the correct weight for holding down parts while gluing has been very helpful. Too much weight can distort the pieces you are holding down. These weights give you much greater control over the parts you may be gluing. I turned over the diorama and used these weights to hold down the retaining wall against the road while it was gluing. It was too awkward a situation in which to use a clamp but I was able to squeeze the weights into place without a problem.

I finished laying down the opposite side of the valley in the same way as before: starting with a layers of packing peanuts.

I added a layer of plaster bandages. Plaster has managed to get over some of the nicely finished wood. I'll go back and with my marker pens re-stain the wood where necessary.

I continued to add back the trestle just to make sure that it still fit the space and made adjustments where necessary.

And finally before starting work on the road and the river bed I colored the plaster. I will be adding a soil layer over the plaster which will hide the remaining white specs

Thanks all!!

Edited by - kumard on 03/08/2017 11:03:32 PM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  08:13:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very effective, Kumard. I especially like how the overall perspective looks good. Regardless of the viewing height or angle of the photo, the scene looks correct where the foreground meets the background.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  09:14:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like everything else you build, excellent!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  10:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar, way cool. And I think I'm on my way to order those weights.

Frank

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  12:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all.

Bill Gill >> I especially like how the overall perspective looks good. Regardless of the viewing height or angle of the photo, the scene looks correct where the foreground meets the background. >> Thanks Bill. The viewing perspective was happy accident. One day I'll sit down and figure out why it works so well. I wonder if it is distance? i.e. the further away the background elements the less distortion. I'll continue to build other photobox dioramas and will be able get a better idea of what is happening especially if the background elements are nearer. Printing a black and white test is a good way to see if the background has any problems before spending up to $40 for a color version (actually the cost for this backdrop was around $18. The Depot backdrop cost $40).

Frank Palmer >> And I think I'm on my way to order those weights. >> Thanks Frank. They are currently my favorite modeling tool.

Edited by - kumard on 03/09/2017 1:00:38 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  5:54:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
exceptionally excellent work'.. Completely realistic looking'..

ted :<)

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  7:29:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kumard,
Your diorama is coming out exceptionally well. It will be an excellent showcase for your cars!
Cheers,
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  8:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar,

Your scenery is very impressive and highly realistic.

I noticed the same thing as Bill; viewing angle does not affect the illusion. I think it is at least in part because there are no structures, which often give it away.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  9:02:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all.

I think I got lucky with that background. It's not perfect and wasn't meant to be but I wish I had spent a bit more time on the river part. Once the river/creek/stream bed is done I may drop in a re-worked version of watery part of the backdrop. I'm not sure if that is even possible right now but let's see.

River, road, rocks and grass next. Should be able to show something end of next week. I'm working on the tracklaying for The Town this weekend.

Here are some reference photos that I'm working from (these are just four out of about 20 that I found):

Edited by - kumard on 03/09/2017 9:03:00 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  12:03:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. Here's an update on this project.

It's been a while since I last posted about the diorama but I've been steadily plugging away at it. After finishing the building up of the valley sides it was time to cover the surface with a soil layer. I've heard some various names for it including 'goop' and I downloaded a quick recipe from the net.

Soil Layer

The soil layer is made up of Celluclay paper mache, sawdust, real sifted soil, Woodland Scenics earth paint, PVA glue and water with a splash of Lysol to kill germs. Once mixed it looks very unpleasant but covers the surface very nicely.

I added some hydrocal rocks to the soil while it was still wet but I felt that they didn't look good. I attempted to color them but it ended up looking very unrealistic. I watched a couple of videos online on how to color rocks and will save them for another project. I filled in the rock holes with more soil.

Wet soil and rocks

I removed the rocks and filled the holes

Riverbed

I spent some time looking at images of river beds and then drew a quick diagram of features and placement of rocks and sand etc.

I used DAS clay to mark out the various layers of the river bed. I like the control clay gives you over contours, slopes and surfaces. I made the mistake later of covering this with a dust layer which caused much of this work to be lost.

I also used the clay to lay out some of the road surface.

Leg bases

I needed to give the area around each leg base more attention. I used Woodland Scenics Foam Putty into which I pushed each leg. The putty is soft enough to begin with and an indentation was created for each leg. I removed the legs and let foam dry solid. I then carved and sanded the foam to match the profile of the surrounding area.

Dust Layer

I added a of dust/dirt/real soil over the whole area. The mistake was that I covered the river and road. Not a big mistake but I lost their profiles. Lesson learned.

Road and River

I used natural materials for the river bed: real sand, real stones. I used gravel for the road mixed with dirt.

Grass

I've started adding grass. My first attempt did not go well (the grass is too short) and I'll have strip it off and start again. Luckily it's a small area.

So that's where I am at. I am spending this week adding greenery: grass first, then other vegetation.

Anyhow that's it for the moment. Thanks all!

Edited by - kumard on 04/04/2017 12:04:10 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  07:52:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  08:27:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar,

You're doing a great job with the various rock and soil textures for the river and road. I like your map of bedforms and materials for the river.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  10:17:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, what a process, fantastic results.

Frank

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000