Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 246 ]  [ Total: 251 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  07:27:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  08:29:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar,

Great job on the trestle. You're attacking a new project with your characteristic organization and skill. Looks great so far.

I really like the drone's view. I'm going to try to emulate the look of your trackwork as I rebuild my switching area.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  09:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just beautiful. A lot of skill being shown here.

Frank

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  10:28:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You said it Frank!

Kumar...That "drones eye view" shows off the simplest parts of this layout...

but beautifully done.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  11:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, Carl B, Frank >> Thanks. The new lighting has made taking these kinds of shots a lot easier. I'll post more pictures in January. Although there is plenty of room for improvement, I'm pleased with the way The Depot has 'emerged' this year. I'll continue to tinker with it next year while I'm building The Town.

Michael >> Great job on the trestle. You're attacking a new project with your characteristic organization and skill. Looks great so far. >> Thanks Michael. Yes so far so good. Actually the trestle will be the easy part of the diorama. It's gonna be the surrounding scenery that going to be the real challenge. I've never created a river, river bed, river banks, rocks, grassy slopes or any mountain scenery before and I'm not exactly sure how to do it! It may take a couple of attempts before it starts to look somewhat like the real thing!

I really like the drone's view. I'm going to try to emulate the look of your track-work as I rebuild my switching area. >> I'm definitely a stickler for realistic track. I've started track-laying on the Town and I'll either post progress on that tonight (if not too late) or tomorrow evening. You can see the process of putting the track-work and the track-bed together and I'll be interested in your thoughts about it.

A quiet moment at The Depot.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Edited by - kumard on 12/21/2016 11:45:06 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  9:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone.

Weathering Project/Trestle Diorama

Here's an update on this project.

The latest set of work involved mainly building the trestle legs. I had some 5mm pine dowel which was a little over-sized (posts are supposed to be 12"/3.5mm in diameter) but I really liked this size, - it seemed alot sturdier. I figured that once I weathered the wood it would reduce in size anyway.

Before going ahead with the pine I ordered balsa wood dowels to compare with the pine. I figured that balsa would be much easier to weather than pine. I had it sent from the UK since I could not find balsa wood dowels in the USA.

Here's a picture of the size difference between 5mm and 3.5mm dowels. It's quite a difference.

As mention in my notes on The Town project, I'm trying to work from photos as much as possible - especially when it comes to weathering. As such I found these two wonderful pictures of trestles that I had enlarged and printed by my local Walgreens. They stayed in front of me while I worked on the trestle.

And so to the legs.... I used SketchUp to design the leg plan from which I was going to build the jig.

I built the jig from styrene. The jig idea came from Jeff Wilson's book on trestles and bridges and was a perfect tool for this sort of work.

The construction of the trestle was pretty straightforward. I used Jeff Wilson's book for guidance on wood sizes and referred to my photos for weathering and color information.

The star tool of the project ended up being this Winsor and Newton marker. I found it in an art shop a few months ago. I purchased it and then forgot about it until I needed to make some small adjustments to the color of the trestle. I realized that I could use it to color/stain the whole trestle! I zipped through this project as a result. I would cut the wood, color it and boom! DONE!

While I was building the legs my new color backdrop arrived. I fitted immediately since I was excited to see how it turned out. The background is a little blurred because I blew the image up from a smaller image but this will work in its favor since it will act as a kind of photographic 'bouquet' effect (the blurry background that occurs when using a telephoto lens).

The legs came together quickly and painlessly. I used the same jig for each set by moving the base nearer the top as they got smaller.

I decided to add some eye bolts throughout. They are the kind of detail that really make a difference in close up shots. I sprayed them dark rust before fitting them.

I fitted the legs to the deck using white glue. I held the legs in place using pins.

So the glue is drying. I still have to add the side bracing and more eye bolts. I'll be starting the landscaping this week and will remove the bridge until that is completed.

Thanks all!

Edited by - kumard on 02/04/2017 11:26:09 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  07:58:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Kumard!

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  08:47:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also looks good , how big is it and is it a diorama or for a layout?

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  10:02:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very clever photo box.

Frank

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  10:25:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar,

Everything looks very nice. The photo background is striking.

I assume you ended up using the smaller diameter dowels (??). Colors and construction are very good. I'm thinking of looking into the markers like you used.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  4:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, Frank >> Thanks.

Cowboybilly >> how big is it and is it a diorama or for a layout? >> Thanks Frank. This is an non-powered diorama/photobox. The diorama is set within the hills further along the same branch line as The Depot. At some point I may add it to a larger layout. Its purpose is to provide a background to photograph weathered rolling stock. This is the first part of a larger weathering and detailing project.

Here are the dimensions:

Michael >> I assume you ended up using the smaller diameter dowels (??). >> Mike, I used the larger size dowels. They seemed sturdier and I was able to reduce the size a little while I weathered them. The smaller dowels were undersized to begin with and would have become even smaller if I attempted to weather the wood in any substantial way.

I'm thinking of looking into the markers like you used. >> I'm going to switch to markers for weathering wood. Staining the wood takes over 12 hours and would bring a project to a halt during that time. Also the ink and alcohol method is too limiting if you want other wood coloring effects.

I bought a few markers to see how their colors would look.

Here's a close up of the different methods:

I've ordered a bunch of grey markers so that I can color wood a more realistic grey instead of dark brown.

Thanks all for the comments. More next week.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  10:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. Here's an update on this project.

The bridge

I added the some support beams to the trestle legs. I tried to guess how a railroad civil engineer would solve the problem of putting a trestle over a small creek such as this and I refered to my postcards of trestles. I suspect my own minature engineering efforts would be looked dimly upon by the engineering community but I just did the best I could and added beams and supports where I thought they ought to go. I followed a rough plan for the beams and I just hope it all looks plausible enough in the end.

I used my marker pens mentioned previously to color the wood. No more waiting 12 hours for the wood to stain.

Here's the bridge so far. My very first bridge. Needs a little more work but generally I'm pleased with it and it should make a nice setting for the upcoming photography.

The embankment

This was my first attempt at laying the valley sides. I used rolled up newspaper wound with masking tape.

That would have worked fine but I realized that I wanted a more 'granular' control over the area whereby I controlled the location of the contours and every little bump, knook and cranny. After giving the problem some thought I decided to use packing peanuts to build up the landscape. This is a quick test to see if I was on the right track. Before building the embankment with peanuts I needed to add some retaining walls. I build them very quickly but broke a rule of mine which was to refer to photographs before building any structure. However I was impatient and just threw this wall together quickly so that I could start building up the landscape.

I used the markers to color the wood and managed to get some nice wood effects

Once I had glued the first retaining wall in place I added the first layer of peanuts. I taped them down in place. This layer was put in place as a foundation.

With a second retaining wall in place I added the second layer of peanuts. I broke them into smaller pieces and used spray glue to hold them in place. The smaller the pieces the more control you have over the lumps and bumps.

Once enough peanuts were in place I covered them with plaster-of-paris bandages. This is the ground cover shell and there will be soil layer added at some point.

I'm working around the diorama corner by corner. Here's the back left of the diorama.

So here's where I'm at. I'll work on the other side this week and then start focusing on the road and river bed. I'm having a ton of fun with this project since it is so different from what I've been doing over the last few years.

Thanks all!!

Edited by - kumard on 02/27/2017 12:44:52 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  02:47:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking great!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  08:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Kumard. I like your idea of using peanuts under the plaster cloth.

George

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  11:57:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great effect and the cost is practically peanuts.

Frank

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.92 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000