Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 133 ]  [ Total: 137 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2015 :  07:17:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar.

Apologies for the near childish start to my reply.

But i really really really really really really really really really really really really like your layout!

The coloration in the grass, the trackwork, the roads, the concrete are absolutely to my tatses, the weathering is just right, not too dark, not to bright, the track plan looks enjoyable without being too crowded or too bare. eveything is just "right"

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/26/2015 :  2:33:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gosh - Andy and Tyson and all those who have posted nice things. Thank you very much, just the encouragement I need.

"The coloration in the grass, the trackwork, the roads, the concrete are absolutely to my tastes, the weathering is just right, not too dark, not to bright, the track plan looks enjoyable without being too crowded or too bare. eveything is just "right" - Andy

Andy - yes all those things I gave plenty of thought to. I'm not an 'artist' by any means (I work every day with artists though) but I did try to approach the layout with composition and color in mind. The track plan curves, the grass colors (not too green) the weathering had to be just right. It was a risk actually using that light green because it makes for a bleak environment but that is what the location required (Great Plains/ Upper Midwest) so I had to do it. We'll see how well the colors work out when the photo backdrop arrives this week - I think the above test showed me that I was on the right track. Dark green would have clashed with the surrounding greens of the plains.

Again I tried to keep in mind the greats: Iain Rice, PD Hancock, John Allen and Allen McClelland (and of course many others) - where the composition of scenes was an important consideration. Currently the layouts of Lance Mindheim, Gordon Gravett, Tom Johnson and Mike Confalone (and once again many others) are a big influence - just amazing work.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Edited by - kumard on 07/26/2015 2:35:13 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  12:55:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm very excited because the photo backdrop arrives today and once installed it marks the end of the project for me.

There are still plenty of things to do around the layout including finer detailing of the track, ballast and greenery. Later I would like to upgrade the buildings. They were meant mostly to be 'first attempts' and due for a replacement once my building skills improved.

I spent the weekend improving the look of certain areas - mainly the track work at the back which was the first place to be landscaped. It was looking very flat so I added more texture and color and filled any holes and gaps and paint splashes. I'll be working on this kind of thing for the next week or so before the backdrop goes on.

This whole area needed upgrading with texture and color.

More grass tufts being created in order to bring out more of a 3D feel to the overgrown track. I use UHU glue, because it does not discolor the material. Wood glue seeps into the material and makes it flatter and darker. I use a brush and water to lay down a bit of UHU and then 'jam' (press hard) a bunch of grass into the area and leave it for a couple of hours. When it dries I save the waste grass and vacuum the rest and in place should be a nice little tuft of grass.

I use colored chalks and a brush with water to color the ties darker. They were a bit flat. I then dusted them a little to remove too much contrast.

I needed to improve the leading track. I'm still working on it. Here I remove the original ballast in preparation for re-ballasting with dirt and stones.

A view of some materials. I have around four boxes of floor coverings collected from a variety of sources: Arizona Rock and Soil, walks in the country, back garden, plant stores and other suppliers such as Woodland Scenics and Express Scale.

A view of the layout postal/mail van making a delivery. I couldn't find any info on mid sixties US Mail vans. This van still needs postal markings and more weathering. The railroad ties were colored with chalks and are darker than before.

The area more or less finished. I'll move further along next and work on different sections throughout the week.

Edited by - kumard on 07/29/2015 1:23:37 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  1:31:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I take it the last picture is after you trim the tall grass, and the second in this post is before? I've read of people trying to make grass taller than the rails (common on many miles of US track in the 1970s), but the physics of HO scale defeated them - the grass derailed their equipment.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  2:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know a great deal about Post Office vehicles, but the Jeep 'DJ' was quite common in suburbia and on rural routes where the postman didn't use a personal vehicle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_DJ

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  2:55:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

I take it the last picture is after you trim the tall grass, and the second in this post is before? I've read of people trying to make grass taller than the rails (common on many miles of US track in the 1970s), but the physics of HO scale defeated them - the grass derailed their equipment.

The grass is above track level and yes I would trim it where it is too tall. However the grass material (Silflor) is so light that even if it rises above track level it does not derail any rolling stock. The tufts that you see were not trimmed.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  2:56:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

I don't know a great deal about Post Office vehicles, but the Jeep 'DJ' was quite common in suburbia and on rural routes where the postman didn't use a personal vehicle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_DJ

I guess the PO markings were the same for different vehicles. That jeep info is really useful - thank you! I'll do some more research next week based on what you provided.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/30/2015 :  12:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My photo backdrop has arrived and it is everything I hoped for - finished with nice sheen and on solid photo paper.

I created it from a photo I found on Google which I then extended to fit the space of the whole back scene area.

I'll be installing it next week since I'm finishing some of the finer details on the layout.

The picture started as this. There were many to choose from but this was the most dramatic and best matched the colors of the layout:

I used Photoshop to manipulate the photo - I duplicated and stretched the clouds, I added artist filters to make it look more like a painting and then extended it to the full width (or so I thought) of the backdrop:

Here's what I'm aiming for. I did a quick test last week to make sure I was on the right 'track'.

And here is the large photograph as delivered from the printers. It cost around $60 - not cheap and probably the most expensive single item on the layout. I built the outer framework at the same time as the baseboard and it's been sitting in storage for two years waiting for this day. I'll be adding lights once the photo goes in:

I accidentally made the photograph too long but that turned out to be a happy accident because I can now create a cardboard photo background from the spare print in order to take shots from other angles (after removing the backdrop cover):

Edited by - kumard on 08/15/2015 8:46:02 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2015 :  5:47:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar, I like the track plan, no straights. When i started my shelf layout I too tried to eliminate any straight section that was more than a few car lengths long.

The idea of a lift off backdrop and front valence is pretty nifty. I hope you donít mind if I borrow the idea for my layout.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 07/30/2015 5:50:42 PM

fireman93514
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/31/2015 :  12:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your layout is a piece of art Kumar. You are indeed an artist. Absolutely beautiful.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/31/2015 :  12:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frank and John. I'm getting excited to start my next layout since I'm nearly finished with this one.

Frank,

The backdrop and valance is an idea that's been knocking around for years. I came across it in the 1980s writings of Iain Rice - a British Modeller - he described the action of small layouts as being like a small theater performance with actors coming in from left and right. He built a some important layouts in the 70s and 80s in the UK that used a backdrop and valance and then wrote series of excellent books on the subject. I highly recommend them. I took the idea of 'curves only' and natural track flow from him as well. (As you may have gathered I'm a devoted 'Ricean' - he's my model railway guru!)

The first of these is American prototype and the remaining two are British. All are worth reading regardless of prototype.

Edited by - kumard on 08/14/2015 4:16:45 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/31/2015 :  12:39:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The backdrop being fitted. I wasn't sure how to stick the photo down but luckily I had some spray glue and that seemed to do the trick.

Edited by - kumard on 07/31/2015 12:55:22 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/31/2015 :  12:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a very quick test fitting to see where the problems are. There are two: 1. Gaps at the back need removing by adjusting the fitting and 2. The background photo needs to be matted down: the lighting reflection is distracting. I'll get to that next week. I also still have plenty of touching-up to do around the layout and will remove the cover for a couple of weeks to get that work finished. The layout is looking a bit too flat but I think that good lighting will improve things. I'll fit the lighting next week as well.

Looks good, but will look better with proper lighting.

The colors match the background pretty well. I'll create gaps to allow trains to arrive from the staging wings.

There is a gap above the road which will disappear once I adjust the fitting of the cover.

This side needs brightening up but since it is about to rain maybe dark and gloomy is correct. The shadows behind the mill will disappear once I add lighting.

Rain is coming. Frank Nordquist needs to speed up deliveries before the deluge. The daily freight has arrived and in a moment a freight car will be dropped off to pick up light goods traffic on the return journey the next day.

Edited by - kumard on 09/13/2015 01:07:01 AM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/31/2015 :  3:55:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A few more shots. This time with my main camera (as opposed to my iPhone).

Edited by - kumard on 08/13/2015 01:39:04 AM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2015 :  6:03:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
EXCELLENT !

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 07/31/2015 6:04:02 PM

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000