Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 284 ]  [ Total: 288 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  09:11:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really looks good!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  10:37:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice looking fence work.

Frank

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  9:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The scale house turned out really nice. I like the weathering on the scale as you have done...to my eye its perfect. I also like the rusted up door you did and the fencing is incredible. Very nice eye candy and the photos are very well done too. Doc Tom

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  10:43:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill, Frank, Mike >> Thanks.

Tom >> The scale house turned out really nice. >> Tom, I decided to use styrene after watching you work with that material. I had done a little bit of work in styrene but I really got to grips with it this time and will be using it to much greater effect on The Town.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Edited by - kumard on 10/24/2016 10:44:35 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2016 :  07:55:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar,

Your new structure is small in size but large in effect. It fits in your scene beautifully. It has a great utilitarian appearance with the re-used doors, cinder block, weather-worn paint.

You've provided very useful information on the Silhouette.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/25/2016 :  1:01:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike >> Your new structure is small in size but large in effect. It fits in your scene beautifully. It has a great utilitarian appearance with the re-used doors, cinder block, weather-worn paint. >> Mike, thanks. Yes I'm please with it too. There were few small issues here and there but overall I think it balances out the center and pretty much completes the whole layout. There will be mostly tidy ups to do now over the next year. I'm going to add more color (to balance out the green) and add a gate and swap out vehicles and trees. There will be no major new construction for a while. Maybe towards the end of next year I'll rebuild the depot building but now my focus is mainly The Town.

You've provided very useful information on the Silhouette. >> The value of the Cameo is going to depend on how much I use it. Since I bought it to mainly cut (or score) out windows and doors let's see how it does on The Town where there will be plenty of structures to scratch-build.

BTW besides working on The Town I'm also starting a three/four month-long weathering project on rolling stock and locomotives. I'll post more about it this weekend once I've made some progress. Here's my starting point:

Edited by - kumard on 10/25/2016 1:17:13 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/27/2016 :  11:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone.

I've been making some small upgrades to The Depot over the last week and wanted to share the latest.

Lighting

After installing the lighting on The Town I decided to do something similar to The Depot. The lighting was installed last year and was kind of jerry-rigged into place. It served its purpose but there was a need to improve it. The shop light did not go the whole length of the layout which meant that there were dark spots at both ends that were showing up in photographs. There was also a problem with different color temperatures between the fluorescent shoplight and the spotlights. The clash of temperatures caused a kind of rippling effect in photographs. As I wanted to take some decent photos of the layout at some point I decided to just install new LED lights that stretched the complete length of the layout. I think I would like to buy some sort of light meter that can measure both brightness as well as temperature so I can understand what is going on, but right now there is a nice even cast across the layout and the lights seem to compliment each other.

Here is the layout with the new lighting:

And photographs have lost that pesky ripple effect and are more even. I turned down the spotlight here and front-lit the box car with a portable spotlight:

This kind of shot used to have shadows across it, now the lighting is more consistent:

Weathering

I decided that I really wanted to get better at weathering. I'm a great admirer of the work done at the Weathering Shop and I would one day like to produce something as good. So I purchased a bunch of Athearn boxcars from Ebay for about $4 a piece.

Since I needed to get some background info into freight car construction I bought a couple of Jeff Wilson books on the subject. These are a great starting point for this project. I didn't know anything about braking systems or freight car letting and these books have some very solid chapters these subjects. The books cover all the basics and I highly recommend them to anyone starting a freight car weathering and/or detailing project.

Another resource is the Classic Freight Car series. The books cover the subject in a more general way but the series has some great color pictures of weathered freight cars.

The final book I found was the Soo Line Freight Equipment and Cabooses book. Sadly Morning Sun have yet to produce a color book devoted to the Soo Line but in the meantime I was able to find this fantastic book published by the Soo Line Historical Society. There are plenty of color and black and white photos of boxcars but most importantly they have pictures of boxcars that are not too heavily weathered.

I order to display the models while I work on them and see them in a somewhat realistic setting I decided to build a small photobox diorama. Here is the Sketchup plan:

The diorama will be set along the line somewhere in the country and will specifically be a small trestle bridge. I made the sides really tall since I wanted to be able to shoot upwards.

Here are some pics of construction:

The glue is drying right now and tomorrow I'll stain it a dark color to match the other modules.

The original backdrop that I had specially printed for this module is too small. I'm going have one printed that will stretch the whole height of the module.

That's it for now. More next week. Thanks all!!

Edited by - kumard on 11/28/2016 2:22:01 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  10:43:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar,

Some great work here on a number of fronts. You are very persistent in making the fixes and changes to get what you want. I like your idea of a photo box. I'd like to have something similar so will be taking notes.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  1:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike.

Yes I feel I'm in 'round two' of the layout right now: making upgrades and improvements and fixes. I actually don't know if The Depot will ever be finished since I enjoy working on it so much. Also I've been asked by a magazine to do a write up of some sort about the layout so I'm trying to get things into shape for some good photography. I have to take a day off some time next week to write the article and I'll post more about the it once it is done.

The goal of the weathering project is to set up a scene displaying the grain season on the branch. All the boxcars you see in this picture are going to become Soo Line cars and will be re-lettered and weathered.

Edited by - kumard on 11/28/2016 1:49:22 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  11:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone.

I decided to start my weathering project by attempting something fairly small. When building the layout I tried to keep the colors within a very narrow range but I now feel I overdid it and ended up with too much green and not enough color. So I'm going to start repainting small details here and there and introduce colors throughout the layout. These are small easy projects and can be fitted in while I work on The Town.

Flatbed Truck

First on my list was the grain delivery truck. I purchased a red Mini Metals HO scale '60 Ford Flatbed Truck truck from Ebay with a view to weathering and detailing it.

It started off something like this:

I gave the truck a quick spray of faded white and then added rust and dirt using toothpicks and pins. It's not easy getting rust to show up against a red background and in the end I found that plain old black paint for rust spots looked the best.

I decided to add some flatbed sides to hold the grain sacks. I made the sides using basswood and some Grandt Line metal straps from my details grab bag. The support posts are over-sized since I didn't want to wait to purchase correctly dimensioned wood but the overall result is good enough for the moment.

Lastly I added a tarpaulin to the back as well as a brass bar to hold the tarpaulin over the sacks. I started running out of patience for the project at this point so I just used the first material that came to mind for the tarpaulin - kitchen foil. It looks ok but I might revisit it again and swap it for something more realistic in the future.

Anyway the purpose of the project was to get some practice with weathering while adding more color to the layout and so here is the truck in its place on the layout:

Although there is plenty of room for improvement I think I'm heading in the right direction and look forward to working on the next piece of rolling stock: the Soo Line caboose.

Trestle Diorama

This little project has ballooned a little and now includes a trestle bridge, a road and a much more dramatic backdrop. The diorama started out as way to view the weathered models under some decent lighting. But then I decided to really go for it and build a largish trestle bridge and roadway. Both The Depot and The Town are flat - there are no bridges, hills or tunnels - and I realized that it's going to be several years before I get to build a layout with those elements. This diorama gives me a chance to model some of those missing features along the same branch line as The Depot and The Town. I'm now thinking that the bottom shelf of my layout cabinet could be used to house several dioramas and at some point I can connect them and run trains through them:

I've decided to expand a little on the basic bridge concept by making the bridge much taller and by adding a roadway underneath. Here's a loose fitting of some of the elements:

The new backdrop arrived from the printers. It's more or less the correct size but I quickly realized that it no longer fitted my new concept so I decided to redesign the backdrop in Photoshop

I found this picture online and decided to use it as the basis for a collage.

I extracted the area I wanted and cleaned it up. I then duplicated and reversed it to create two valley sides. I added some of the backdrop clouds from The Depot.

Then I looked around for a river that I could add. I found this image and extracted the river.

Then I added the river to the other elements and ended up with this image. I could have gone much further and created a much more realistic scene but I don't have the time or patience and so this will have to do for now.

I printed out a black and white version of the full size backdrop and taped it together and fitted it loosely to the diorama.

It took a couple of attempts and adjustments to get the elements placed correctly and here's where I ended up:

I'm going to sit with this backdrop this week and I may add elements before sending it to the printers. I'm now building the trestle and hopefully I'll have something to show soon.

Thanks all!!

Edited by - kumard on 12/11/2016 11:35:57 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  08:12:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great progress! A couple of historic points to consider: First, check period photos before you make *all* the boxcars SOO;
railroads usually used whatever cars were on hand, particularly at busy times. Second, your caboose has 'blanked'
windows. In most cases, that was done in the late 1970s, when the FRA made rules requiring expensive rock-resistant
glass. Some RRs responded by getting rid of non-essential windows.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  09:08:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's fascinating watching your backdrop design process.

George

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  11:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice job, keep on truckin'.

Frank

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  11:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George, Frank >> Thanks.

James >> Good catch. I looked through my Soo Line rolling stock book and found the caboose listed there. I wanted to check the information about the blanked windows (that you mentioned) and found it all described there. Not only that but the 'freight car brown' was introduced in the 1980s! That's nearly twenty years too late for me. I thought about repainting it red and white but those wide-body cabooses were introduced starting 1966 which is also a year too late for me.

What this means is that I'm going to start looking around for a correct period caboose. I'm sure there are plenty available online and I can now cross-check their stats (date of build, paint schemes etc) with my Soo Line reference book - something I didn't have when I first started buying Soo Line rolling stock.

As far as the grain trains are concerned. According to Patrick Dorin's book on The Soo, up to the mid-sixties most grain pick ups were handled on an as needed basis. Unit grain trains and grain hoppers started to be introduced after 1964. However there was a grain 'season' and I imagine on small branch lines either the regular freights or special freights must have had trains that were all grain boxcars - both delivering and picking up along the way. The scene I want to set up is this grain season delivery of boxcars, the delivery and installation of grain doors, the loading of grain, and the pickup for the return journey. The few pictures I have of Soo Line grain trains show almost all Soo Line boxcars - no interlopers. I have to do some more research and find out if in fact The Soo would use any old boxcar it had on their system. Jeff Wilson has a fantastic book on grain traffic and if I remember correctly all the railroad companies struggled to supply boxcars in grain season and so maybe they had no choice but to use foreign boxcars at this busy time.

Anyhow thanks for your input. I'm going to look for another Soo Line caboose.

The grain train will be something like this except all 40' Soo Line boxcars in boxcar red (and a correct period caboose!). This train is departing for the west.

Edited by - kumard on 12/12/2016 11:22:57 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/20/2016 :  11:35:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone.

Trestle Diorama

I have decided to wait until I have more elements in place before sending the final backdrop to the printers. I might move the river, add a roadway fade and/or add some trees. I'll decide once I'm further along. It's easy enough to add more elements and layers in Photoshop and move them around as needed.

The first item to build was the trestle itself. Having never built one before I decided to purchase Jeff Wilson's book 'Bridges and Trestles'. This was a wise decision. Not only did it have diagrams and pictures of trestles but it also listed dimensions of the the various components.

I was able to take those dimensions and create a working drawing in SketchUp as well as purchase correctly-sized lumber (from NorthEastern Scale Lumber)

I printed out a flat 2D version of the plan on top of which I built the deck

Before staining the scale lumber I used my weathering pen to weather down the wood and add some grain and split wood areas. I'll go into more detail on this on The Town where I've been track-laying.

I stained the wood in ink and alcolol and then created a styrene jig to hold the wood in place while I glued it down.

Once the 'stringers' were in place I added the bridge ties. I just eyeballed the placement of the ties over the diagram and figured that any imperfections in spacing or angle just added to the character.

To try to make sure all the ties were firmly pressed against the stringers I weighed them down with whatever I could find around my work table.

So the first part is done. I have the deck and I am now working on the trestle legs. I'm creating the leg plan in SketchUp but because of another upcoming European trip I won't be able to build them until mid-January.

Here's a shot of The Depot from a 'drones' eye view showing some of the new elements added this year.

Thanks all!!

Edited by - kumard on 12/21/2016 11:44:20 PM

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.83 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000