Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  11:18:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice project, nice photos. You might want to take a look at Micro Engineering's 'Micro' spikes before you give up on them completely.
I used them on my 4-spikes-per-tie turnout for Civil Engineering AP evaluation and they looked good to me in photos.
They clear RP-25 wheel flanges on rail as small as Code 55.

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/27/2016 :  01:34:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kumard

Regarding the trees. I'll give them a bit of a 'haircut' this weekend in order to expose the backdrop a bit more....

Before you start cutting, try this first to see what it looks like. In the center, remove the two smaller trees. The solitary tree in front of the open space may emphasize the open space instead of detract from it. This may also make the windbreak trees work as a contrast to center stage.

Of course this is just speculation. It may look worse, but it doesn't cost much time to pull the two trees and look at it.

I would try temporarily adjusting the other trees too. For instance one way to break up the "soldiers" in a line would be to replace one of the trees with a stump. Adds some interest and lets the backdrop show more.

PS: I like your pine trees.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Edited by - rca2 on 07/27/2016 01:40:48 AM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/27/2016 :  12:33:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James >> You might want to take a look at Micro Engineering's 'Micro' spikes before you give up on them completely. >> James, I'll be starting tracklaying on the Town in a couple of weeks. I'll add 'Micro' spikes to my list of supplies. Although I'm not hopeful about how they will look (and I want to develop a whole new way to do the track) I will take a closer look at them before starting. Spikes are very useful for holding down track while being fixed using another method such as copper plate or glue. I'll have plenty more to say on the issue when I start tracklaying on The Town. Thanks for the tip.

Bob >> Before you start cutting, try this first to see what it looks like. In the center, remove the two smaller trees. >> Bob, I'll try that and take some pics to show you how it looks. I don't want to spend too much time this weekend on The Depot's remaining issues (as I'm working on the benchwork on the Town) but luckily the trees are not yet glued and I should be able to try different setups quickly. I'll keep you posted.

For instance one way to break up the "soldiers" in a line would be to replace one of the trees with a stump. Adds some interest and lets the backdrop show more. >> Another interesting idea. A stump might be lost in the background but is definitely worth a try.

I'll try fewer trees, thinner trees, and more spaced apart. I would also like to redo the grass and fence beneath but that will have to wait for another time.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Edited by - kumard on 07/27/2016 12:40:06 PM

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/28/2016 :  01:06:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For reference regarding the ME spikes, these image shows their small spikes against some Code 83 rail I laid a bit ago. I don't know if their micros are made from a smaller wire size or not.

Thayer

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2016 :  08:44:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kumard, have you looked at the spikes and details from here: proto87 store?
http://www.proto87.com/product1908.html

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/28/2016 :  12:51:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thayer >> ME spikes, these image shows their small spikes against some Code 83 rail I laid a bit ago >> TY Thayer, your pictures look very realistic. I'll order some spikes just for my supplies and since I'm going to need them to assist tracklaying. I still want to try to not use spikes at all and would like to develop some new way to lay track. I'll be posting some pictures on The Town thread of my research and tests to show what I come up with. I'll be jumping straight into tracklaying as soon as the backdrop has been finished on The Town.

Bill >> kumard, have you looked at the spikes and details from here: proto87 store? >> Bill that website is a lifesaver! I actually do know it but haven't visited it for a while. I have a few frog kits (http://www.proto87.com/product1903.html) from them which have been sitting in my cupboard for a couple of years

I'll be building these kits in the next couple of months.

Edited by - kumard on 07/28/2016 12:59:12 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2016 :  1:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar,

Regarding your line of trees, perhaps if there is room you could move them over to the left behind the building. That way you have suggested the iconic prairie windbreak while preserving the openness of the landscape along the road.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/28/2016 :  1:27:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike >> Regarding your line of trees, perhaps if there is room you could move them over to the left behind the building. That way you have suggested the iconic prairie windbreak while preserving the openness of the landscape along the road. >> Mike that's definitely one of the things I'm going to try. I can't live without that prairie grass: that 'Sea of Grass' was the starting point for the whole module. I'm trying a bunch of different setups based on feedback from members. I'll post the pictures Sunday night and see what everyone thinks. It's been a good discussion.

Edited by - kumard on 07/28/2016 1:58:54 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/15/2016 :  8:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone.

Nothing much to report although there are quite a few things going on behind the scenes. I'm working on The Depot for the next few weeks trying to get a few items tidied up and fixed. Since I haven't posted much on The Depot for the last few weeks I thought I'd post some pictures. I've been rebuilding the new weigh house and using my Silhouette Cameo. I'll do a proper post in a few weeks when I finish that little project. In the meantime I weathered some of the vehicles. The Jensen's family car was top of my list. It had been looking a bit too shiny in photos so I spent a little time dirtying it up. I wanted it to be in fairly good condition so I just lightly dusted some dark chalk on it and then matted it down. It looks less shiny but it's hard to see any weathering. Nevertheless I am going to leave it like that.

The Jensen's family car gets stuck here each day waiting for the freight car switching to end.

The weathering really helps the car look less toy-like and fits the scene better.

The crew have moved the locomotive out the way to let the Jensen's car cross and move on.

Edited by - kumard on 09/16/2016 1:27:33 PM

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/15/2016 :  8:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the last picture.......but where are the Jensen's going?? Looks like infinity and beyond to my eye.

Doc Tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2016 :  07:50:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to a body shop before all those rust bubbles break thru the paint!

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/16/2016 :  12:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom >> Love the last picture.......but where are the Jensen's going?? Looks like infinity and beyond to my eye. >> Tom, the great open space of the upper Midwest probably feels like infinity to you and me but actually the Jensen's farm is about three miles down this narrow winding road. Farmer Jensen still works the land but his wife works in the pharmacy in the nearby little town of Carendt. She unluckily returns home just as the local freight arrives each evening and often gets stuck at the crossing while the crew do their switching. When possible the crew will create space for her to pass and send her off with a friendly wave.

Mike >> Going to a body shop before all those rust bubbles break thru the paint! >> Mike I actually see some rust bubbles under the paint, but fear not, the Jensens may not be rich but certainly are proud and they take good care of the few possessions they have. Farmer Jensen will probably patch it all up very nicely himself.

Mrs Jensen having passed, the crew resume their switching before parking the engine to have supper with The Depot staff.

Edited by - kumard on 09/16/2016 1:29:16 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2016 :  08:24:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Farmer Jensen will probably patch it all up very nicely himself."

Never had a doubt kumard!

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  12:07:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I have been slowly plugging away at some final details on The Depot for the last few weeks. I also needed to give myself a couple of weekends off modeling to focus on family and generally relax but now it's full steam ahead once more.

I had a few things to tidy up on The Depot - the major projects such as the backdrop and the cassette storage are now completed but I needed to finish the weigh house as well as revisit the lighting.

The Silhouette Cameo

I used my Cameo Silhouette to cut out the windows. After running through several test thicknesses I quickly discovered that it is not really able to cleanly cut styrene. The best it can do is make deep score marks into the plastic after which I punched out the openings. If the styrene was too thick then the openings were no better than those I could make by hand. Anything thicker than .5mm became difficult to punch out cleanly.

However if you use .5mm styrene as an outer skin and then support it properly with an additional inner skin or framework then result is very nice and you get perfect openings with sharp corners and accurate vertical and horizontal edges.

At the end of the day I think its best use is to score the styrene. If I have ten window openings to create that need to be exact copies and also perfectly lined up vertically and horizontally then the the Cameo can score the styrene for me in less than a minute. You can also add additional cross-marks within the opening area to help punch out the holes.

The Weigh House

I used the Cameo to make more accurate openings for windows and doors and rebuilt the Weigh House from scratch.

This is what I was aiming for:

And this is what I ended up with:

I'm not entirely happy with it but I thrilled to be able to take a Sketchup drawing and see it come into existence. Some of the details:

• Weighing platform: I need to re-weather it, it's fine for the moment but I think I can do a better job once I get to grips with some more weathering techniques.

• Front steps: I had to remove them. I actually had them printed by Shapeways but accidentally misjudged the position of the platform and found that the steps would no longer fit. I'll use them somewhere else.

• The Fence: I custom-built the fence using brass wire and some fencing material. I made a quick SketchUp plan and then just went ahead and built it. Brass is very easy to work with and I'm going to try to do more soldering with it at a later date.

• The Gate: Same as above but just more complex.

I used freight car doors from Grandt Line for the large storage area opening. I used Grandt Line windows and doors elsewhere. The electrical outlets and conduits are scratch-built from styrene. Here's a picture of the Weigh House before weathering:

I used a freight car book to give me an idea how to weather the doors. I didn't want to overdo it and it's good enough for a background building. Here's the result:

Then I glued it all down, added vegetation and said a prayer. Here is the final result:

Thanks all!!

Edited by - kumard on 10/24/2016 12:57:41 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  07:37:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent work, great pics!

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000