Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 75 ]  [ Total: 76 ]  [ Newest Member: RocknTommy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  3:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frank, Bob.

Last thing till next week - I finished the wiring and ran a test:

and here's the full video showing a train moving along the cassette and back (click this link to view): https://youtu.be/9tIdKEC9RT0

http://thedepotonline.com/

Edited by - kumard on 07/04/2016 4:02:13 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  4:33:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, that's pretty cool. A fine job of engineering.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  8:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  9:26:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet!, that truly is.

It's only make-believe

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  5:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very innovative design.

George

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  9:07:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fascinating design and unique engineering' Very smart'..indeed'..

ted :<)

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  09:52:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, you've done a lot with a little space. Great work

John

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/25/2016 :  11:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your nice comments. It's been fun and a great learning experience combining old school model railroading with modern modeling tools, techniques, and online services.

It's now full 'steam' ahead on The Town module and so The Depot is going to be taking somewhat of a backseat for a while. I'll still be doing small things here and there but any major changes will now be put on hold.

Looking to the future I would like to:

1. Rebuild the freight house, grain elevator and water tank - these items were my first attempts at scratch-building (actually the water tank was a kit but I threw away the instructions and just built it from scratch with the parts supplied) and they have served their purpose admirably. However I've seen many examples of great modelling in this forum and they have inspired me to try again.

2. Relay the trackwork. I've mentioned the frog issue several times. Actually the frogs are not the problem, the spikes are the problem. I need to replace some wooden ties with copper plated ties and then solder the turnouts down to them. In fact I would go further and remove all spikes and replace them with copper-plated ties. The challenge is going to be getting the copper surfaces looking as good as wooden surfaces. I'll need to experiment first.

I am still am working on a bunch of items:

1. Weigh House
2. Silhouette Cameo
3. Windbreak trees
4. New backdrop
5. Cassette system

1. Weigh House

I'm back working on this for this week and will be using my silhouette Cameo to cut the styrene. It's a small project and I don't want to spend more than a couple of nights working on it. Hopefully by the weekend I'll have something substantial to show.

I positioned the original version against the backdrop to get a feel for how things were looking. The final version will have finer details, will be weathered, have aesthetically pleasing colors, will be surrounded by vegetation and will have some external details such as trash cans and a bench. I'm working on this the next two evenings.

2. Silhouette Cameo

No more news yet. However I went and spent quite a bit of cash on a full supply of styrene sheet and strip. The goal is to find out whether this $260 piece of equipment is going to make my modelling any better or easier. I'll run various thicknesses through the machine and see if it can produce cuts that are better or easier than my own efforts with a craft knife.

3. Windbreak trees

Well I added trees along the back. I'll let you be the judge whether they look any good. On the plus side they make the overall scene much more balanced and interesting but on the minus side they are a bit crude and also hide the wide open prairie landscape which gives the module its sense of place. The pine trees on the left hand side did not turn out well and I will make another attempt at them sometime in the near future.

4. New backdrop

The new backdrop arrived from the printers and I installed it last week. It has small improvements here and there but the big addition was the roadway fade.

Here's the installation process:

a. Unroll part of the backdrop to expose the road and match it up to the position markers:

b. Stick down the road area first and then move towards the corners fixing the backdrop down with spray glue.

c. Here is the backdrop completed

d. The road looks very small in the overall picture.

e. However once the backdrop was fitted to the layout the road looked pretty convincing. The colors are slightly off and sometime in the future I will match the two colors but for the moment I think it looks ok.

Here's a picture of the overall scene with the new elements, the scene seems more balanced and interesting than before:

5. Cassette system

Finished at last!! I built the second dock and now trains can exit at both ends. I still have to build a second cassette but that will be a much faster exercise that the original. In fact start to finish the cassette project took nearly 8 weeks which is just too long. The next cassette will take no more than four hours to make. However moving forward I now have a really robust and lightweight method to move and store trains across modules and I'm very happy with the result.

Here's the overall model displaying the arrival of the daily freight. I have to do a bit of cleaning up and fix things that got broken but overall things look better than before.

Here's the arrival of the daily freight on YouTube: https://youtu.be/xFIANxD_fQo

Thanks all!

Edited by - kumard on 07/27/2016 12:35:35 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  06:57:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The trees look fine but like you say it blocks the prairie so I would be careful how many to use. The backdrop and the road on the backdrop are killer!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  07:20:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, Kumard. I'm with Mike on your backdrop and it's road.

George

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  07:45:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar,

Beautiful backdrop. The road fading into the background certainly gives the desired effect of distance. You've done a great job modeling a prairie scene; not easy to do.

Happy to see your cassette is working so well.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 07/26/2016 07:47:56 AM

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  08:12:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The backdrop os one of the best bits of your layout, you need to let it shine

It is so infrequent to see a sky with so much character and depth in model form

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52273

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  10:35:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
“Well I added trees along the back. I'll let you be the judge whether they look any good.”

Kumard, looking from the other side of the country the trees look fine. My only comment would be if you’re unhappy with the “quality” of them add new trees in front of and between the originals. The spacing looks too even, like little soldiers in a row. I realize windbreaks are done that way but maybe a tree here and there. The road looks spot on.

Frank

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  9:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too find the backdrop and road incredible!

I am studying your technique as I want to pull off the same look using a scenery divider on my next "mini" layout.

Very, very good. Doc Tom

P.S. Looks like the gang in the station wagon previously stuck at the RR crossing were able drive away down that new road.

Edited by - Grabnet on 07/26/2016 9:16:54 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  9:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all.

Regarding the trees. I'll give them a bit of a 'haircut' this weekend in order to expose the backdrop a bit more.

Frank >> The spacing looks too even, like little soldiers in a row >> Frank I need to keep them in a row but I can vary them in color and size. I'll try that at some point.

Tom >> I am studying your technique as I want to pull off the same look using a scenery divider on my next "mini" layout. >> Tom let me know if you need any assistance or advice. I'll be happy to help. Just go back through the last two months of the thread to read the Photoshop techniques I used. There is a learning curve but once through it you have the ability to put together a scene that matches the model exactly.

Looks like the gang in the station wagon previously stuck at the RR crossing were able drive away down that new road >> Ha ha. That must be where it went! Actually it and other vehicles are being weathered and matted down right now. It will be back in a short while.

Thanks all for the comments.

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000