Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 76 ]  [ Total: 77 ]  [ Newest Member: RocknTommy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/23/2016 :  12:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James >> A bench grinder is a somewhat messy tool I think of for sharpening hard steel cutters, but experiment. >> Yes in fact I didn't realize how much mess cutting metal creates. I did the main cutting work outside but still there were a lot of metal splinters lying around at the end of the day which needed vacuuming up. Let's see about the angle grinder. I have a plan on how to use it for this project. I'm aware that people use them for sharpening knives but I hope to adapt it accordingly.

A 'one contact sits on the other' circuit may not be as reliable as you want. Sliding the cassette into the opening would help, but putting the contacts on the sides so they slide against each other as the cassette is lowered into the cradle would improve it also. >> Good idea. I had not thought of that. I can also make the plates wider. Let's see how things develop. This is the prototype and I'm expecting to make changes as I go along.

George >> I've read about this cassette design in British model railway magazines, but I've never seen a description on how they were constructed, or the thought process that goes into the project. >> I too first saw them in the British press. Iain Rice discusses them in his books and I seem to remember them from as far back as the 1980s. I can't yet speak for the advantages or disadvantages of using cassettes. In theory they seem like a good way to move trains on and off the layout where space is an issue. I'll have more to say about them once I've finished this project.

Also...

I received my handles back from Shapeways. They are finished nicer than expected and I look forward to using Shapeways again when I'm scratchbuilding. They are definitely not strong enough for the cassette handles but I will use them for the drawbridges. Even though I've already cut the aluminum for the drawbridges the resulting handles look clunky vs.the Shapeways handles which look much nicer.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Edited by - kumard on 05/23/2016 7:16:02 PM

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/23/2016 :  9:11:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like what you are doing. My layout plan includes a small tray, turntables and an elevator, so I am looking for ideas.

What I found was battery contacts. Like Keystone Electronics part #2993. It is bent so that it presses against the battery terminal after it is slid into the holder. Sounds exactly like what I could use as a contact for my tray, turntable and elevator, paired with a flat contact (like yours) to make a good connection.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2016 :  04:34:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kumar,

Great work so far. However, if the aluminum angles are powered, it looks like the handles may cause a short. Since they are made of metal too and it also looks like both sides of the handles are connected by the bolt passing thru the wooden dowel and from your drawings, the handles will be attached to the aluminum angles as well. I noticed in the sample photos you posted for the project that the handles seemed to be attached just with screws driven into the wooden dowel, which would isolate each side and prevent the short.

Take care,
Rob.

MY BLOG: Journal of Model Railroad Design

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/24/2016 :  12:54:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob >> What I found was battery contacts. Like Keystone Electronics part #2993. It is bent so that it presses against the battery terminal after it is slid into the holder. Sounds exactly like what I could use as a contact for my tray, turntable and elevator, paired with a flat contact (like yours) to make a good connection. >> Bob, the only problem right now is there is no downward force on the cassette which means that it is going to be sensitive to upward pressure. In fact I have to figure away to keep the cassette sitting in the cradle. I've been looking at some very nice docking designs for cassettes and now think my solution is somewhat crude and lacking. I may have to go back to the drawing board and come up with a better solution. Maybe something like this?:

I'm in no rush and I would like to do a good job so I'll revisit this issue next weekend.

Rob >> However, if the aluminum angles are powered, it looks like the handles may cause a short. >> Rob, yes that would be an issue if the handles were in any way connected but in fact the wooden dowel screws are not connected. I'm going to re-cut the handles this week since they look too tall and the bolt holes are not correctly spaced. It took me a while to figure out the press drill but after a few practice attempts I am now able to drill much more competently. I'll try again in a couple of days.

Edited by - kumard on 05/24/2016 12:54:48 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2016 :  3:13:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take a look at what Jon Grant did for electrical connections and cassette alignment on his layout. http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26801&whichpage=3

George

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/24/2016 :  3:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George >> Take a look at what Jon Grant did for electrical connections and cassette alignment on his layout. http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26801&whichpage=3 >> George. I'll do that. Sweethome Alabama is a really great layout, another favorite of mine.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/01/2016 :  01:49:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. Just a quick update.

The cassette project is on hold while I wait for more supplies. I purchased a bench grinder thinking that it would grind down aluminum in order to make curved handles. Big mistake. I was lucky not to blow myself up since the aluminum just melted on the wheel and the whole thing over-heated. Even though I had been diligent and read all the safety instructions I missed the small print that said don't grind aluminum. Now I have a $40 piece of equipment that I have no real use for except for grinding knives. I found out that there is no real way to cut and shape curves in aluminum without some kind of router table or milling machine - both way beyond my budget. I decided to take another look at the Shapeways handles again and decided that if I made them larger and thicker then they probably would be able to support the weight. As such I ordered new handles and am waiting for them before proceeding.

The grinding wheels will explode if they get too hot. They are not designed to grind aluminum.

In the meantime I decided to finish off some other details for the Depot. I should really be working on The Town but I wanted to add the remaining items on the Depot while I had this window of time available.

There are three things to do:
1. Windbreak trees
2. The scale house
3. The road fade into the backdrop.

Trees

I want to add windbreak trees around the grain installation. I have two types to make: pine and poplar trees. I went online and watched a bunch of tutorials on how to make pine trees: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1xRPnU5-MQ

This seemed easy enough in theory. In practice it took me a few days to get a method down that produced something that vaguely looked like a pine tree. In fact the first three trees looked nothing like pine trees but when I turned them upside down and painted and added leaves they actually turned into plausible poplars.

I'll know how good they look once the cover goes back on the layout and the lighting is turned on. I can see from this image that some of the branches need tidying up and that I'm going need to add a few more trees in order to create a 'wall' of trees at the back.

After four or five attempts I finally was able to produce trees that looked somewhat like pines. These are still not right (too 'fat' and too light green) but at least I understand how to make them now and will have another attempt later this week. I'll have to purchase darker green leaves. Until then these will have to do:

Weigh/Scale House

Near the entrance to the grain installation there is a area into which I wanted to add a weigh house. I studied a few online and ended up copying some of the features of this one:

I used Sketchup to design something basic. It's just a front - not the whole building. I estimated the door and window dimensions but I knew that I would have to match them up to Grandt Line products later - something that is easy enough to do in Sketchup.

I did a quick test in Photoshop to see how it looked. By adding trees either side I can hide the fact that it has no sides. This area needs tidying up. I'll probably add a better chain link fence, clean up the dirt and add a little more vegetation. The ties also need a little more coloring. Oh, and I mustn't forget the weighing platform that sits in front of the house.

Another nice feature of Sketchup is the ability to produce plans with dimensions printed alongside lines. All I have to do is convert them to HO scale.

I started the project by printing out the plan to HO scale and then I attempted to match up the Grandt Line scale windows and doors to the plan. When they didn't fit I went back to the Sketchup plan and adjusted the size. I ran out of paper so I'm at a stopping point, but tomorrow I'll cut out the plasticard for the doors and windows.

Anyway I just wanted to bring any followers up to date. I find it very satisfying posting once a week since it keeps me on my toes and keeps things moving along. I'm waiting for the end of the cassette project before proceeding with the bench-work for The Town.

Thanks all!!

Edited by - kumard on 06/01/2016 3:02:06 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2016 :  06:30:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2016 :  07:54:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar,

Not having done much metalwork, I never knew that about aluminum. Maybe that's why my aluminum ladder has all those sharpish edges. An expensive lesson but thankfully not worse.

Your new building looks an interesting project.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2016 :  1:32:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you weren't hurt by the grinding experience. How about just using 040 styrene for the handles?

It's only make-believe

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/01/2016 :  2:18:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Michael >> Not having done much metalwork, I never knew that about aluminum. Maybe that's why my aluminum ladder has all those sharpish edges. An expensive lesson but thankfully not worse. >> Yes all part of the learning experience.

Your new building looks an interesting project. >> This will be the first building designed in Sketchup that I've actually built and the experience will be put to much better use on The Town layout.

Bob >> I'm glad you weren't hurt by the grinding experience. >> I was wise enough to stop as soon as I realized things were not going to plan. Those grinding wheels will explode if they get too hot.

How about just using 040 styrene for the handles? >> I've sent new designs to Shapeways that are longer and thicker. Hopefully that will make them strong enough.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  01:25:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nearly done with the weigh house. Rather than spend time discussing the process I created a little animation showing the steps. It's pretty straightforward stuff: plasticard/styrene with Grandt Line windows and doors.

I'm not yet happy with the result. The front steps and railings have not turned out as well as I hoped and I may redo them this week. I still have to add some other details, touch up the paint here and there, and of course weather the building. Once all that is done I'm hoping that it will look a bit better.

Edited by - kumard on 06/07/2016 12:44:21 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  07:07:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  10:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought my computer was freaking out when the picture kept changing. Then when I finished reading the caption I realized what was going on. Looks good.

Frank

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/07/2016 :  12:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all.

Frank >> I thought my computer was freaking out when the picture kept changing. Then when I finished reading the caption I realized what was going on. Looks good. >> Sorry for the confusion there Frank. I was trying to put my tech skills to use to make our lives easier!!

I'm working on finishing the weigh house this week including the changes to the weigh house area. I also need to finish the trees and vegetation. I'm waiting for the materials for the cassettes and have been told that they are on their way.

In the meantime I purchased yet another tool: A Silhouette Cameo cutter (http://www.amazon.com/Silhouette-Cameo-Starter-Bundle/dp/B00NAX7H78). Apparently it can cut styrene/plasticard. I have yet to set it up and test it but will post more on it next week. I don't know if anyone on the forum has used one but would be interested in hearing about any experiences or tips on how to use it.

Edited by - kumard on 06/07/2016 2:02:12 PM

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000