Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 123 ]  [ Total: 128 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2016 :  7:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"The hardest part was assembling all the tools and then having to flip the layout up and down as I connected the wire and then tested the track.

I hear you. I had to do mine with the layout jacked up 18" above the workbench and it gave me a pain in the back. I could only work a couple of hours and then I was hurting.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 03/22/2016 7:11:09 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/23/2016 :  07:45:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't understand doing the scenery first THEN doing the wiring????

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2016 :  10:06:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

What you should want Kumar to do it the easy way, anybody can do that. It takes skill to do it the hard way.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/23/2016 :  12:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike >> I don't understand doing the scenery first THEN doing the wiring???? >> I know! Nuts right? If only it had worked the first time! Anyway it's been really good getting it right at last. Power is now working throughout and the system is much more robust.

Frank>> What you should want Kumar to do it the easy way, anybody can do that. It takes skill to do it the hard way >> I hope!

Frank>> I hear you. I had to do mine with the layout jacked up 18" above the workbench and it gave me a pain in the back. I could only work a couple of hours and then I was hurting. >> So True. I had to lie down for a short while after to rest my back!

Stuck waiting for the train again!

http://thedepotonline.com/

Edited by - kumard on 03/23/2016 12:43:02 PM

Shady Pine
New Hire

Posted - 03/23/2016 :  1:30:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kumard

Mike >> I don't understand doing the scenery first THEN doing the wiring???? >> I know! Nuts right? If only it had worked the first time! Anyway it's been really good getting it right at last. Power is now working throughout and the system is much more robust.

Frank>> What you should want Kumar to do it the easy way, anybody can do that. It takes skill to do it the hard way >> I hope!

Heckwithit! Look at the nice result! Sometimes it's better to mix up the "normal" order of sorting various "stuff" out anyway.. the result is pretty astonishing AND it runs well heh!

Edited by - Shady Pine on 03/23/2016 1:34:15 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/24/2016 :  9:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote

New control panel

So part two of the rewriting project is now completed whereby I have constructed a new control panel to house the toggle switches for the turnout motors. There is nothing particularly interesting about the wiring. It is the simplest set up possible since there will be only one locomotive on the layout at one time.

Here is the available space for the panel. The choices for the CP included building a box to sit on top of this space or embedding the switches flush with the board. Due to the fact that I would be unable to cut a large enough hole in the board at this point I decided to build a box to sit on top of the baseboard front.

I looked at various examples of control panels from my Google search and decided that I would use these basic components: a frame around the box, paper printed plan which I would then laminate, and toggle switches embedded into the plan.

I thought I was going to have to go down to my local hardware store to get the frame parts and create a frame myself but then I remembered that I had a whole bunch of spare frames lying around. I tried them for size but couldn't find one quite the right fit.

So I went down to my local picture framers with the correct dimensions and got them to make me a custom-sized frame. The cost was about $25 but in the end I got a really nicely finished frame - better than anything I could have built myself - and one that fitted the space exactly.

I needed to create a plan to sit within the frame. I read various techniques by other modelers and decided to draw a plan in CADRAIL and then have it printed and laminated. CADRAIL took a couple of days. It's not as intuitive as it thinks it is but once I got my head around the basics I was able to put together a pretty good diagram. I printed out three copies and went down to my local hardware store to have them laminated.

The frame backing board (that the plan sits on top of) came from my local art store and then the remaining parts came from my local electronics hobby store - a rare and dying breed of shops. I raised the depth of the sides by adding some side pieces of wood. I drilled holes through the plan from the front after which the box was ready to receive wiring.

I added a plug on the side of the box to bring in the 12 volt power. From there power is taken to a positive and negative bridge and then onto each toggle. The DPDT toggle switches each have their own two power wires that go to a block on the layout and then onto each motor. Very straightforward and well within my limited abilities with anything to do with electricity.

Then it was a simple matter of testing it - everything worked perfectly - and fitting it to the baseboard and .... then .... done.

Overall a fun but time consuming project. However I'm pleased with the results and I'll post a video of a locomotive navigating its way around next week.

More to come on The Depot:
1. Windbreak trees.
2. Roadway faded into the backdrop.
3. Backdrop buildings by the grain installation entrance.

Edited by - kumard on 04/27/2016 12:27:54 PM

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  12:11:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Then doing the scenery before laying track must really puzzle you

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  07:06:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"Then doing the scenery before laying track must really puzzle you"

Yep! Also I don't understand having remote controlled switches when you can easily reach them to manually throw them. In a real life situation no railroad would have those switches remote controlled, very unrealistic.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  07:54:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For projects of this scale, when the builder plans it thoroughly enough the order of construction only matters with things like 'roadbed before track'.

I don't like how ground throws look in close-up photos. But I didn't power turnouts whose prototypes would have been hand thrown, I used pushrods/knobs or Humpyard Purveyance levers to control them from the layout edge. Other RR-Line members have moved all their Caboose ground throws to the layout edge, in some cases so operators don't have to reach into the scene so often.

I am thinking hard about how to use one of the new operating switch stands; having the target indicate point position would improve the realism of many photos.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  08:42:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Kumar, the important thing is you're pleased with the results and you enjoyed doing it. Besides it looks great too.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  11:06:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the Panel, Kumar.
Please continue to have fun.

It's only make-believe

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  11:39:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike >> I don't understand having remote controlled switches when you can easily reach them to manually throw them. >> Extreme laziness on my part

James >> But I didn't power turnouts whose prototypes would have been hand thrown >> I like the sound of turnout motors and again extreme laziness on my part

Frank >> Hey Kumar, the important thing is you're pleased with the results and you enjoyed doing it. Besides it looks great too >> Thanks Frank. All is good. Glad this part is over. Onward we go. Windbreak trees - that's the next project on The Depot. I'm really looking forward to that.

Bob >> Nice job on the Panel, Kumar. Please continue to have fun. >> TY! Will do.

Looking at things with fresh eyes I do think that the better way to go would have been to embed the trackplan and switches flush into the board. However that would have taken some planning ahead since the benchwork would have to have been designed with a dedicated space for the panel. Lesson learned. I'll try to incorporate these ideas into the Town front baseboard. I'm starting the benchwork on that layout soon.

Edited by - kumard on 04/25/2016 12:35:44 PM

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  4:31:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

...I don't like how ground throws look in close-up photos. But I didn't power turnouts whose prototypes would have been hand thrown, I used pushrods/knobs or Humpyard Purveyance levers to control them from the layout edge. Other RR-Line members have moved all their Caboose ground throws to the layout edge, in some cases so operators don't have to reach into the scene so often....

Hi James: I share the same concerns. I want a better appearance, simplicity, and realistic operation. I did a lot of thinking about this in figuring out design standards. So much has changed with linear layouts. My prototype had all manual switches, no interlocking towers.

I finally decided on three solutions. 1) Staging gets Caboose Industries throws placed in the most convenient space. 2) On the visible layout, switches will be thrown with the index finger and I will place dummy scale switch stands for trackside scenic purposes. 3) Throws for a couple of remote turnouts on behind-the-scene staging tracks may be mounted on the fascia if the reach turns out to be too long. My plan is to fit everything within a 20-inch reach, but you know what often happens to plans.

Kumar: Great job on the panel.

Bob.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Edited by - rca2 on 04/25/2016 4:33:54 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  7:29:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar, I don't recall if you mentioned before, are the "Town" and the "Depot" going to be able to interchange? Or will the connecting module be called "Rural"?

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  7:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar, I don't recall if you mentioned before, are the "Town" and the "Depot" going to be able to interchange? Or will the connecting module be called "Rural"? >> At the moment they are meant to stack one on top of each other with a removable 'cassette' system to allow me to move trains between them.

Later modules are going to be 'The End of the line', 'The Junction' and maybe a journey up the old interurban/trolley right of way. My wife and I are discussing a move to a bigger house (or building a large garden shed) because of family and hobby needs, so who knows, maybe I'll get to eventually link them all up.

Edited by - kumard on 04/26/2016 11:02:33 AM

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.97 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000