Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 77 ]  [ Total: 81 ]  [ Newest Member: RocknTommy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  1:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar

I like weathering on light colored paint jobs because the rust shows up better than on dark colors.

I found these pictures on Model Railroad Hobbyist some time ago and thought they might be a little help.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 01/22/2016 1:57:32 PM

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  3:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that last picture a model?? The burnt paint effect on the roof is very well done if it is.
Doc Tom

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  9:55:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank >> Web designer . . . those are black art skills from the "Dark Side". >> You'd be surprised at how mundane it all seems after 15 years of doing it!

Rick >> I don't comment often, but do look in frequently and always enjoy seeing your excellent work. >> TY Rick! I enjoy posting it and appreciate the feedback.

Doc Tom >> I think the Diesel looks good to my eye and the colors really pop in the very natural setting. Your next creation will be even better I am sure. >> thanks Doc. I think the next locomotive will probably be the RS1 in the old Soo Line scheme. It will be an interesting contrast to the GP7. I might also go with an F7 of which were many on the Soo.

Mike >> The diesel looks nice. It's a great contrast to the subtle coloring of the surroundings, just like the real world. >> White is a tough color to weather (and also to photograph). I learned to 'go slow': add a mark and stand back, observe and then add another, and just take it line by line, mark by mark. It's easy to add, very hard to remove. I'll keep adding more weathering this week - line by line!

Frank >> I like weathering on light colored paint jobs because the rust shows up better than on dark colors. >> You're right rust shows up really well. Too well sometimes and I've learned to ease off a little otherwise I get a kind of leopard skin effect. One of the stars of the military modeling world - a gentleman called Mig Jimenez - made an interesting comment (in one of his videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV3MFIHr62o) that I've been mulling over this week. If I remember correctly he said that was he wasn't going for realism when weathering, he was going for a kind of impression of weathering and wanted to model to be pleasant to look at. I think I'm trying to find some kind of balance so that the model looks realistic but also fits into the overall scene in a pleasant manner. Maybe all we need to do is give an impression of weathering. I've only weathered four models so I think time and experience will reveal the best middle ground.

I found these pictures on Model Railroad Hobbyist some time ago and thought they might be a little help. >> Great! Very helpful. That last one is especially good (as Doc Tom pointed out). That has to be one of the best weathering jobs I've seen in a long time. Shows us that weathering really is a highly skilled art-form in its own right.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Edited by - kumard on 01/24/2016 12:28:06 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  10:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2016 :  09:06:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.railpictures.net/index.php

Kumar, have you tried this site for locomotive pictures? I looked up GP7 but there was only 1 page, but GP9 had a bunch. Just insert the loco type and railroad name and then "find photos". Lots of ideas on weathering by looking at the prototypes.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 01/23/2016 09:07:44 AM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/23/2016 :  4:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank >> have you tried this site for locomotive pictures? >> Frank, I know that site very well. I used it for my locomotive project. The images of GP7/9s and other white-painted locomotives were a great help in figuring out weathering. Site like this are good too: http://sooline.dieselrosters.com/. The biggest challenge is finding early 1960s photos of 1st generation Geeps (and also early white and red boxcars) where the weathering hasn't got too extreme as it did in the 1970s. For this project I wanted to keep away from rust and just focus on dirt. Luckily my Morning Sun books have Soo Line pictures from the early 1960s.

Edited by - kumard on 01/23/2016 4:18:28 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2016 :  7:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm going to check if the Seaboard has such a site.

Frank

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/23/2016 :  9:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I added the couplings and window shades to the locomotive. I might airbrush the roof tomorrow but right now this locomotive project is officially finished and I can move on to other things.

The crew like to use this disused milk platform track to park the locomotive while they have their evening supper in the depot.

Edited by - kumard on 01/23/2016 11:51:28 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2016 :  06:12:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice!

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/24/2016 :  09:05:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a nice peaceful picture.Really looks like the hard working diesel and crew are getting a much deserved rest. Nice story in that photo.
Doc Tom

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2016 :  10:18:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great shot.

Frank

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/01/2016 :  1:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone.

I've slammed with work which means that I'm working weekends (my modeling time) and so not much to report.

The layout is currently back on my workbench being partially rewired. I'm trying to get it ready for operation. It's been nearly a year since I last spent time working with the wiring and have to admit I'm completely flummoxed: trains mysteriously stop running and I have no idea why. I may end up rewiring the whole layout. Anyhow it's a good (re)learning experience.

Our Soo Line crew have now finished supper and move off to rejoin the train for the final leg of their journey.

Using the loop to get back to the head of the train they will push the cars backwards onto the mainline and then proceed forward to continue westwards (and into the storm on the horizon).

The crew are delivering cars up the line and will be back shortly to pick up the train.

Edited by - kumard on 04/27/2016 12:24:30 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2016 :  3:17:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It still looks nice, even if the electrons are giving you problems. One thing I did after the first few operating sessions: Put an analog AC voltmeter on the DCC booster output. I mounted it in the fascia so I can tell unambiguously if DCC power is on and not short-circuited.

Edited by - jbvb on 03/01/2016 3:19:59 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/01/2016 :  3:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great idea!!

I think I'm going to rewire the whole layout. I'm going to give each track its own BUS since I'm currently depending on the joints to move current from rail to rail and unfortunately the joints keep breaking.

TY!

Edited by - kumard on 03/01/2016 5:09:43 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2016 :  7:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did you solder them? A soldered rail joint is usually pretty reliable.

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000