Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 245 ]  [ Total: 253 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2016 :  08:00:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"They were simple enough to add but unfortunately show a little of the decal film edges. I think the problem was that I didn't lay them onto a glossy surface."
Correct, always apply to a glossy surface (unless you are using dry transfers)then spray with a product like dul-cote. Still it looks really good.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/10/2016 :  12:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry >> "A true artist!" >> TY!

Darryl >> "I try to squeeze in as many buildings as will fit" >> One of the reasons I didn't have more buildings was simply lack of skills and confidence. The choice of open prairies meant that I didn't have to build too many buildings. My focus was the hand-laid trackwork and also the track design and flow. Buildings were of secondary importance. The next layout called 'The Town' (which I'm starting today) will have a greater focus on buildings.

>> "I also enjoyed your photos of the Visalia Electric. I spent my first 24 years near the actual railroad." >> What great memories you must have of the railway. It's sadly been almost completely obliterated. We found just two sets of remains. But what a beautiful part of California! I wonder sometimes if Bay Area people are even aware of other wonderful areas such as the Visalia district. We spent quite some time looking at the beautiful murals in Exeter and I want to return for a longer visit with the family sometime. As far as the railway project goes I decided to continue with the Soo Line branch. I'm going to revisit the Visalia Electric railroad as a project another time. The first step in that project would be to build a model of one of the boxcab locomotives and I would probably want to build the model in 1/4 inch scale to do the boxcabs justice since they are so small. That model would be a fruit packing operation.

Mike >> TY. Next time I'll use a gloss base. I've made a note. Actually you've got me thinking. I might try dry transfers - the film issue on wet transfers has always bugged me. I would like to compare them.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Edited by - kumard on 01/21/2016 11:10:03 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/10/2016 :  4:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have renamed this thread and it is now called 'The Depot'. I wanted it to fit with the branch line universe of my next layout which I am starting today. I'm looking forward to showing the next episode of this story which will be contained in a new thread called 'The Town'. I'll have more to say on that layout within that thread soon enough. In the meantime I have a few remaining items to do on this layout. These are:

* finish weathering the GP7 locomotive
    * finish weathering some of the remaining stock
    * add the wind break trees
    * improved lighting
    * add new backdrop whereby I fade the road into the horizon and fix other glitches.
    * add a weigh house alongside the concrete pathway to hide the gap.
    * make a video of working operations

After this I can start actual construction of the other layout which will be sometime in March.

Edited by - kumard on 01/11/2016 1:33:44 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2016 :  4:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another fantastic shot. Thanks for sharing.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2016 :  10:53:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes indeed, I agree with Fred. I think this layout looks terrific. You are a brilliant modeler.

Rich

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/11/2016 :  1:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.

The lighting is interesting. I have two sets: spots and a fluorescent. When I turn off the spots the fluorescent gives off a cloudy day effect which is great for photography since there are no shadows. It also looks like it's about to rain. It's a really moody light effect and you can see it clearly in the photo above.

I'm going to revisit the lighthing next week and fit a much bigger fluorescent light. The layout is moving back to the work bench to get it ready for operation. I'll be checking the wiring, refitting the extensions and testing it with a moving locomotive. More to come.

Here's a picture with the spots turned on: they make the scene sunny again:

Edited by - kumard on 01/11/2016 1:32:10 PM

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  3:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like the last picture. Can almost here the lines singing in the wind. Looks great!!!

Dr Tom

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  7:28:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks doc. I might add some little birds to the telegraph wires as well, that's the only thing missing.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  9:09:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar, I see a couple of cars that need your special touch. But otherwise looking good. How in the world do you post such a large photo?

Frank

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  9:35:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank,

Yes actually three or four more to go. Not sure when I'm going to get to them. The layout returns to my work bench this weekend for final prep before operating. Then it's going to be full speed ahead on the new layout. The same rolling stock will be used on both layouts.

How in the world do you post such a large photo?>> Ah ha! Now that would be telling!!. Actually I host the images on my server and use an HTML tag to fetch them. I'm a web developer so I have these skills.

Edited by - kumard on 01/12/2016 9:41:52 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2016 :  10:02:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Web designer . . . those are black art skills from the "Dark Side".

Frank

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/21/2016 :  11:01:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote

GP-7

The GP-7 project rolls on but I think I'm near the end. It's been a challenge to figure out how to detail, paint and weather a locomotive. I'm glad I only spent $25 (Ebay) on the locomotive in the first place since I felt free to experiment and make mistakes. Luckily, for a used locomotive, it runs very well. I just have a few more details to add back such as horns, couplings, lights, and window shades.

After the first weathering attempt I repainted it. The only issue with that is that the cab has slowly lost much of its detail: the grills have lost their sharp edges and left the locomotive looking a bit toy-like. I also had to figure out how to paint. I barely knew the difference between enamel and acrylic paint but this project got me up to speed fairly quickly. I also learned how to handle the air brush better than before. All these lessons will be put to good use.

I'll post more pictures of the locomotive next week and then I'm taking a break from rolling stock to focus on finish final details as listed above. I'll continue to improve areas periodically as my modelling skills improve.

The arrival of the daily freight. Today there are just two freight cars, one for the depot and one for a customer further up the line.

I opted for gentle weathering. Not my best job but I'll keep tweaking it here and there as the weeks go by. The cab grills have lost their sharp edges and the cab looks over-painted (which it was).

I still need to add horns, couplings, lights, and window shades, which I will get to this weekend.

Edited by - kumard on 01/24/2016 12:18:45 PM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  08:00:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't comment often, but do look in frequently and always enjoy seeing your excellent work.
Thanks for sharing.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  08:19:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Diesel looks good to my eye and the colors really pop in the very natural setting.Your next creation will be even better I am sure. I think the SOO diesel is a keeper. Glad to hear it runs well as well. Ebay buys can be a bit dicey.
Doc Tom

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  08:51:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar,

The diesel looks nice. It's a great contrast to the subtle coloring of the surroundings, just like the real world.

White and yellow are my least favorite colors to paint. My white paint jobs always look like Tom Sawyer did them.

Good work.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000