Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 260 ]  [ Total: 267 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  6:38:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been purchasing more rolling stock to create combinations for the daily freight. Here they are so far. I'll get to the weathering once the locomotive is finished. I still need a hopper and a caboose.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Edited by - kumard on 12/09/2015 2:56:25 PM

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  7:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice!

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  9:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very colorful consist you have there sir. The diesel is turning out nicely.

Doc Tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  09:35:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  11:43:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think some times, i see a prototype looks great.

vwrabbit
New Hire

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  12:25:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't wait to see more!

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  12:49:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all.

One of the purposes of the rolling stock has been to provide color to a fairly flat scene. However I'm trying not to overdo the Soo Red which can be overpowering if overused. The caboose I just bought is a brown color and other items of rolling stock will be muted and complimentary ie there won't be any blue boxcars on the layout. Weathering the stock will really help mute the overall effect of colors and allow the train to blend in (and not look so toy-like)

The layout has been designed around this daily freight. The track design was created with a simple run around for delivery of cars. I'm looking forward to operating it and I'll make a video of operations when ready.

The difference between weathered and non weathered can be seen clearly. Weathering makes a big difference to the realism of the scene.

A quick view of the overall layout. Here we can see the various spurs.

The overall scene. Adding rolling stock has really made it come alive

I'll post more progress next week.

Edited by - kumard on 12/09/2015 2:53:20 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  5:59:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gaps, gaps, gaps!

There are alot of gaps needing attention. As soon as I've finished the rolling stock project I'll be turning my attention to these.

1. The roadway gap,
2. The concrete driveway gap
3. The left end gap behind the end of the run around track

I'll start with those. I did a quick Photoshop test to see how trees would look for gap no. 3.

Before:

After:

Looks promising. I may try a fence, or even a small building.

Edited by - kumard on 12/01/2015 6:00:53 PM

vwrabbit
New Hire

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  11:50:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice Photoshop skills! The trees are definitely a nice touch!

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  12:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vwrabbit

Nice Photoshop skills! The trees are definitely a nice touch!

Yes Photoshop has been a useful tool: the backdrop is done entirely in this software and it has really allowed me to create artwork without having any real artistic skills. For testing features such as the trees it saves me time and money.

I'm still deciding about the trees. The reason they would be there is to act as a wind-break for the grain installation. The area is very exposed and I'm sure the owners would have liked to have found ways to reduce the wind effect over the years. The trees would have been planted in various places around the buildings.

I don't want to over-do the trees (I want to retain the exposed feel of the place) so maybe just a couple would work - I can add or remove trees in Photoshop.

and what about elsewhere?

or how about some poplars instead?

I may purchase or make a few pines and/or other types of trees since I do like the overall result.

Edited by - kumard on 12/02/2015 12:46:02 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  10:15:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Waiting patiently for the train to move on. Thankfully this road is little used and simply winds its way through the countryside providing access to a few lonely farms. Trains can sit here for quite a while each day while cars are being switched and the locals have learned to avoid this crossing at certain times. However it is early evening and the train will soon depart. It will finish its journey around midnight.

Edited by - kumard on 12/02/2015 10:22:52 PM

pastor_t
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  06:15:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kumard,

I've just been poring over the photos of your wonderful layout - again! You've done a fantastic job of creating a truly realistic scene.

One of the elements that helps it to work is that you've provided a viewing aperture in your proscenium arch that isn't too low. Can I ask what the height of the aperture is?

Connected with this is the fact that you've made the bottom of your frame deeper than the top, which avoids the top-heavy appearance that many layouts framed in this way seem to suffer from.

Thanks for sharing your inspirational work,

tony

Edited by - pastor_t on 12/03/2015 06:15:40 AM

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  07:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really liked the photo stopping traffic on the country road.

I work in rural Kentucky and we have a saying "trains, trucks, tractors, school buses, and Mennonites" to explain why we run late to work and meetings.

Very realistic story line you have created.

Doc Tom

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  10:40:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumard, been following along with great interest. Maybe if the trees weren’t so much soldiers in a row.

Frank

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  11:21:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the Great Plains, when I've seen spruces anywhere or cottonwoods away from river bottomlands, they've usually been planted, so the rows don't bother me much. But my experience is mostly from looking out the windows of passenger trains, so I'm sure there are variations.

Edited by - jbvb on 12/03/2015 11:22:00 AM

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000