Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 257 ]  [ Total: 262 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  10:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Doc.

Yes I'm very happy with the result. Still need to tidy elements of the backdrop such as the remaining gaps etc, but overall I think it does a good job of placing the layout firmly in the heartland.

Evening over the depot. Taken from a short distance away from the depot but at least we can still see that 'big sky'.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Edited by - kumard on 10/14/2015 10:04:43 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  10:14:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robert goslin

Kumard, this is getting better & better everytime I look in. That stormy sky still blows me away.
Just amazing how much detailed you've crammed into a small space.

Just wanted to show you how small the layout looks from a distance. I'm going to add the extra modules above and below. They will all be of different locations of the same branchline.

The dimensions are 72 inches (6ft) by 18 inches (1.5ft).

Edited by - kumard on 10/14/2015 10:18:28 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  9:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been busy with my GP7 detailing project. I had a few mess ups which required me to go back and forth fixing and repainting. Nevertheless after three weekends I seem to be getting closer to the finish line. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be done.

I made a quick list of what was needed for an accurate early 60s GP7. It included air torpedoes and winter hatches. I also decided to remove the molded grab irons and replace them with proper wire ones. In fact there are going to be a whole bunch of details added including air hoses, window shades and wipers.

I purchased a new body from Ebay. I kept the original as a test platform for painting.

I scraped off the molded handrails.

I added the top side details.

Then I added the base coat.

The painting part is easy but the most time needed to be spent on the masking. I painted the body white first of all then I masked everything off for the red.

I decided to use a darker red than the usual Soo Red. I wanted to get ahead of the fading and weathering. Soo Line Red seems to get darker after oil grease and dirt are added. I don't know if this is going to work out but anyway 'tis done. I needed to do some touching up of the red and white paint that had bled through the masking.

And this is where I am up to. Not without some small issues - I probably will repaint the cab since the line between red and white bled a little. Also I forgot to paint the end of the hood red so that will have to be done next weekend. After that I can add the grab irons and the decals and then start working on the weathering. The remaining details will be added once the weathering is done.

Edited by - kumard on 11/01/2015 10:24:46 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2015 :  06:10:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/02/2015 :  06:14:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice project. Looking good. Doc Tom

Miles
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  10:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Miles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Remember that if it's a "Torpedo Boat" GP7/9 that the air tanks under the frame, adjacent to the fuel tank would not be there any more, and that a combination fuel/water tank for the steam generator would be under the frame, modeled as one long tank.

http://www.collector-modeltrains.com/static/media/uploads/athearngp9details2.jpg

http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/fileSendAction/fcType/0/fcOid/41553383739258657/filePointer/41553383822084873/fodoid/41553383822084868/imageType/LARGE/inlineImage/true/988408_803446633016899_1097118551_n.jpg

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  11:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miles

Remember that if it's a "Torpedo Boat" GP7/9 that the air tanks under the frame, adjacent to the fuel tank would not be there any more, and that a combination fuel/water tank for the steam generator would be under the frame, modeled as one long tank.

Good catch! I overlooked that completely. I'll look into replacing the tanks down there.

I'm still in the middle painting the body. I decided to repaint the deep red into true Soo Line red. I also fitted the fuel tanks flush with the body. The cab is being repainted as well.

More pictures next week.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/22/2015 :  8:50:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Things are progressing slowly. I've been away a couple of weekends doing family stuff but last weekend I went to visit the town of Exeter, CA and the surrounding district. The area is situated on the edge of the Sierras and is primarily devoted to citrus fruit crops. My brother (a long time companion on these research trips) and I went to trace the route of the now dismantled Visalia Electric Railroad. I recently read Phillips C. Kauke's book on this railroad and I am considering doing a model based on it.

Part of the route is still in operation but most of it was closed over a period of forty years starting in the 1930s and ending in the 1970s. There was almost no trace of the abandoned railroad. We found two embedded sets of rails in road - all else has vanished. Nevertheless I wanted to get photos that will act possibly act as a backdrop and also to give me a feel for the colors (greens, oranges, blues - saturated).

Here are some photos of the still operational western section:

and here are some photos of the countryside around the abandoned eastern section one of which would make a great backdrop:

If I was to do a model it would be of one of the small industries that the railway serviced such as a fruit packing warehouse.

The Soo Line GP7 project continues and so far I've repainted the body into true Soo Line red (still looking a little dark), I've added grab irons and I am presently decaling.

I only get the weekends to work on the model so it's going to take as long as it takes I guess.

Edited by - kumard on 11/23/2015 2:11:57 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  08:36:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The loco is looking good.

vwrabbit
New Hire

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  3:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love this little layout! Very inspirational!

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  9:38:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like the pictures of Californey. Beautiful state. Agree you have the makings of some good backdrop pictures you could use. Very nice.

Doc Tom

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  10:39:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tyson, VWrabbit. Glad you like the work so far.

Hi Doc,

Yes I've been in CA for over 20 years and I am still discovering new parts. The Visalia district was a real find - as beautiful as Napa Valley but without all the tourists. I think a revisit to the area is on the cards and I would definitely like to rent a house for a week and really explore properly. I'm giving a lot of thought to the line since it has so many qualities that I favor such as short line atmosphere, very attractive surrounding countryside, a wide variety of locomotive types: steam, electric, diesel, a wide period of operation 1900 - 1970 and interesting freight operations. I had originally wanted to do another section of the Soo branch line but am now very tempted to hold on that and do a 72" by 18" layout of the Visalia Electric. I'll decide in the New Year.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/29/2015 :  10:47:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Almost there.

I was meant to refit the handrails but found that my white paint had not stuck to the bendy plastic: the paint just peeled off as I tried to fit the railings.

Thankfully other modellers have had the same issue and the solution (apparently) is to use a clear adhesion promoter primer and then spray a flat white R/C acrylic which is used for remote controlled cars. I ordered them and how have to wait a week before painting and fitting.

In the meantime I did a quick photo test to reveal remaining issues the most notable being a poor fitting of the cab to the body. I'll attend to that this week. Other bells, whistles and sun shades will be added once the handrails are fitted.

The locomotive will fit the scene better once I've weathered it.

Much of the detail of the body is currently lost beneath the white paint. Weathering will really allow the body shell features to stand out.

Although a little difficult to see, the air hoses are not fitted well. The Atlas frame is made of metal so I couldn't easily drill holes to fit the pipes and they just sit uncomfortably on the frame. I may redo this and actually go the whole way and drill through metal to get a better fit. The metal frame is a reason I may not use Kato-built Atlas GP7s for future projects.

The cab is a separate part of the body and here you can see it really sticking out too much. I'll have to carve off some plastic to get it fitting flush with the frame.

Edited by - kumard on 11/30/2015 2:49:49 PM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  08:01:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks really good there!

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  10:00:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000