Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 129 ]  [ Total: 135 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  11:25:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kumard, this is getting better & better everytime I look in. That stormy sky still blows me away.
Just amazing how much detailed you've crammed into a small space.
The box car weathering looks excellent, and very natural, just like the whole layout.
What medium are you using for the weathering ?

Looking forward to further updates.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/08/2015 :  1:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all.

"What medium are you using for the weathering?"
Robert >> nothing out of the ordinary (ink and alcohol base, chalks, paint, masking, pencils etc) after reading various weathering notes online. I'll post the steps later today or this weekend. Looks like it is going to take about a week for each item so I'll be done with my nine or ten items in nine or ten weeks. The first boxcar is more or less done. I just need to paint the wheels and add the Kaydee couplings.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Edited by - kumard on 10/08/2015 1:11:36 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/10/2015 :  9:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not quite finished but getting close. I sometimes like to take time over weathering and do it in small increments over a couple of weeks or more. I need to finish fading the doors and I need to add couplings. I might add rust stains and streaks over the next week or so.

The layout is based on a Chicago and North Western branch but I didn't want to introduce the C&NW green and yellow paint scheme to an already very green and yellow scene. The Soo Line color scheme was chosen to add some other colors to the layout. As long as the rolling stock is properly weathered the bright reds and whites will compliment the whole scene. I'm looking forward to finishing the remaining rolling stock - it's going to be interesting seeing how other colors enhance the overall look of the layout.

Edited by - kumard on 10/11/2015 12:43:57 AM

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/10/2015 :  10:17:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic weathering job. Looking forward to seeing how you did it.

Doc Tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  08:11:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First rate stuff!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  09:50:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar,

Your scene really is a work of art. Nice contrast between the complexity of the elevator etc on the left, the loading platform etc on the right, and the wide open spaces in the middle. I also like the height and bulk of the structures contrasting with the cluster of low details on the right. I think most of us would have put the buildings in the middle without thinking. Instead, having the road and grade crossing in the middle suggests the isolation of a prairie location like this. It tells a story in a way.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 10/11/2015 09:52:22 AM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  1:14:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Doc >> Thanks. I have another Soo Line boxcar to do. When I get to that I'll photo each step with a description. Other items such as locomotives, tank cars, cabooses etc will require different approaches. Since this was more or less my first attempt at weathering I was mostly experimenting. Next time I hope to have a better process in place and do a better job. The Weathering Shop (http://theweatheringshop.com/) online is the gold standard and I hope one day to come close to their quality of work.

Thanks Tyson.

Michael >> The 'right' composition of the scene and general balance of all the elements was an important goal. Also, story-telling was important to me and I've got examples of that throughout the layout from the landscaping of the trackwork and the approaching storm, down to the characters on the layout. Everything is meant to fit together.

There is still plenty to do, even though I'm itching to tell the next story on this same branchline: another 72 X 18 inch layout based on a location further up the line. I want to fade the road into the horizon, add more telephone lines from the main telegraph poles to the the depot and grain installation. I have a long list of small details to add to keep me busy. Weathering is top of my list. Next up is the Soo Line GP7 - all my detail parts and tools have arrived and I'm starting that today.

A close up of the boxcar using the zoom of my iPhone camera. Still need to add Kaydee couplings and the brake wheel.

Edited by - kumard on 10/12/2015 1:36:44 PM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  1:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kumard, looking fantastic as always. I assume that you have your lighting figured out? Did you add some LED rope lights? Take care, Rob.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  1:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob,

Ok so this is what I figured out. The 'blue' light - the fluorescent - replicates a bright but cloudy day and seems to zap all the shadows. The spots (I added more btw) highlight areas and bring in the 'sunlight'. So when taking photographs I just need to balance the two lighting effects. I have a spotlight dimmer to help me with that. So far it looks good. The initial photos above are taken with the just the fluorescent while the later ones (just above) have spotlight added. Seems to work just fine now.

Edited by - kumard on 10/12/2015 1:54:01 PM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  3:49:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kumard,

It does look like it is working a lot better now. Must be the combination of having more LEDs to even out their effect and the dimmer switch. I was wondering why there seemed to be such a different in the white balance before, but maybe having the dimmer switch was the answer. Whatever it is, it looks great!

Take care,
Rob.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  5:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob, Thanks. It's not perfect but will do for the moment. I'll revisit the lighting in the near future.

Having a proper subject for pictures really makes the whole scene come alive. I'm looking forward to the arrival of the GP7 which is being detailed, weathered and painted.

Edited by - kumard on 10/13/2015 10:35:04 PM

bror hultgren
New Hire

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  01:56:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An amazing sense of place in such a small area.

Glad to see the 'horn hooks' gone and the brake wheel in place.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  06:53:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great kumard, however the front bumper on that truck is way oversized.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  12:27:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bror >> "An amazing sense of place in such a small area. Glad to see the 'horn hooks' gone and the brake wheel in place." >> Yes the goal was to capture the feeling of space and emptiness in the upper Midwest. The backdrop is the key. I'm still working on the freight car. I have to add a little more weathering to the ends (including the brake wheel).

Tyson "the front bumper on that truck is way oversized." >> Thanks. I've added it to my list of detailing projects which I will get to once I've added another few items of weathered rolling stock.

I've been trying to capture some of the space and emptiness of the upper Midwest, especially those 'big skies.'

Edited by - kumard on 10/14/2015 10:07:37 PM

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  9:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really like that "wide open spaces" shot. Neat effect of the sun glinting off the telephone wires as well. Really does look like the heartland of the USA.

Doc Tom

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000